Linguistics

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Squirrel
Board Writer

Re: Linguistics

Post by Squirrel »

there's also the girl squirrel from the sword in the stone, and the squirrel from emperor's new groove....
The Happy Medium

Post by The Happy Medium »

I want to revive this post just to say that the Linguistics connection made me accidentally recruit Tally to work at the same place as me. I say accidentally because I definitely didn't know who she was before.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I asked a linguistics-related question that hasn't posted yet. Here's a challenge: can anyone here translate the message CETI scientists sent out as shown here?

That's page 7. I can get page 1 starting out with giving symbols for the first integers up to 15 and then 20 to describe our numbers, then starts to use those symbols to give some prime numbers, page 4 looks like a mathematical function, page 5 looks like it probably relates a circle's area to its radius, and that triangle with blocks image looks like a geometric representation of the Pythagorean Theorem.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

the woman doesn't have a nose! They used a funky (but accurate) projection of the world. Also WHAT DOES SUNFLOWER MEAN?? Page 23 looks like something out of a videogame.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Well, it looks like there was a link on that site to a PDF explaining the whole thing. They can go ahead and reject and discard that question as the answer's been found.

Looks like on the last page, that flower-like symbol is the one for variable, unknown, or question, and the page is supposed to be an invitation to respond by asking them about all the things we told them about us in the document.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

interesting!