Answers I liked

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Portia

Re: Answers I liked

Post by Portia »

"Mormon and Miscellaneous Fundamentalists" is totally going to be the subtitle of my memoir.

Hope that falls under Fair Use. :P
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Portia wrote:"Mormon and Miscellaneous Fundamentalists" is totally going to be the subtitle of my memoir.

Hope that falls under Fair Use. :P
+1
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

Zedability wrote:I think the counterpoint is that while Mormonism teaches that we have the complete truth, we also teach the every religion contains at least some truth. But it comes down to how people perceive it and what their past experiences were.
Oh, thanks for pointing that out -- I don't think I realized that was the cause.

As a side note, I am an atheist, so I also fall into the category of people whose (non)beliefs are often threatening to others. I wasn't necessarily trying to criticize Mormonism, so I do apologize if it came across that way.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Emiliana wrote:
Zedability wrote:I think the counterpoint is that while Mormonism teaches that we have the complete truth, we also teach the every religion contains at least some truth. But it comes down to how people perceive it and what their past experiences were.
Oh, thanks for pointing that out -- I don't think I realized that was the cause.

As a side note, I am an atheist, so I also fall into the category of people whose (non)beliefs are often threatening to others. I wasn't necessarily trying to criticize Mormonism, so I do apologize if it came across that way.
No worries, it definitely just came across as a very benign instance of a pretty popular misconception. And obviously individual Mormons are going to be different in how they react to other religions and there probably are people who have met some genuinely "We're right and you're wrong" attitudes.

As a scientist a lot of my friends are atheists so it doesn't worry me personally :)
Amity

Post by Amity »

Two great and compassionate answers from yayfulness and his friend on homosexuality and parenting and the possibly bisexual sister.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Ardilla's Tinder Declaration. Because things taken to the extreme are usually entertaining.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

"For depriving us in many cases, of the Benefit of the Doubt" was my favourite
Portia

Post by Portia »

Dethroned by a fiancée

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/80722/

Another thing I'd like to point out is that there is also the other woman's perspective to take into account. It could very well be that she doesn't have a positive relationship with her family, much less getting the attention you seem to have gotten growing up.

I recently got engaged, and my family has collectively next to no contact with me and when they do, it's unpleasant, on the whole (except for my sibs). It's a difficult situation, especially considering all the cultural stereotypes of how a "bride's special day!!1" is supposed to go.

Also, there is a stereotype that attractive women are cold, rude, difficult, or selfish, when I think that that is just that, a stereotype. My fiancé's future sister-in-law (who may be described as more "average-looking," I guess?) decided she hated me. She has a large, close-knit extended family who is heavily involved in the planning and calls my future in-laws Mom and Dad. So if anything I felt like the odd one out, although maybe it felt like I was getting "attention" because I have a more dominating personality and am considered pretty, I don't know. I actually HATE being made a fuss over. Maybe your brother's fiancée is also more private and silently screaming at all the attention, haha.

Good luck! I bet you're showing your irritation more than you think though. :P People aren't dumb. I'm pretty good at reading social cues. Hopefully you can have a good relationship, or at least a cordial one.
coastal goddess liberal
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

yeah, I think after they get married all the attention will diffuse a little when it's back to normal life
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Zedability

Post by Zedability »

I think the editors tried to push it through before some box had been checked and there was some sort of bug
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Iiiinteresting, that's what it looked like. Someone gave it a thumbs up before it was taken down, hah. :)
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

Portia wrote:I recently got engaged
Wait, you got engaged and you're just going to hide this piece of information in a post and not give us any details?!
Portia

Post by Portia »

Emiliana wrote:
Portia wrote:I recently got engaged
Wait, you got engaged and you're just going to hide this piece of information in a post and not give us any details?!
Ha, yup, apparently. I'm on engagement hiatus.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Last edited by Portia on Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/80779/

Zed on self-insertion and author surrogate! I was thinking about this the other day and couldn't find a term for it, either.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I wrote a paper on authorial insertion once. Nabokov likes to do it sometimes.
Owlet
Board Writer

Post by Owlet »

Wait wait, back to Portia's engagement--I do believe you owe someone $500.

https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/77113/

Just kidding. ;) Congratulations!
Portia

Post by Portia »

Owlet wrote:Wait wait, back to Portia's engagement--I do believe you owe someone $500.

https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/77113/

Just kidding. ;) Congratulations!
If I'm officially, ring-on-finger-going-through-with-it come April, that will probably be one of the more satisfying parts of getting engaged. I already have a shortlist of worthy causes (none of which are florists).
Violet

Post by Violet »

Maybe it was just this question, but this made me feel happy and full of dread at the same time. It's a much needed expansion—there is always congestion there, and it's the worst part of the Provo to Salt Lake commute—but the construction period will be terrible.

The last I-15 project started before I could even drive with a permit and only finished my last semester at BYU.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Violet wrote:The last I-15 project started before I could even drive with a permit and only finished my last semester at BYU.
Don't make any $500 bets on it not ending, though. ;)
coastal goddess liberal