Buying a car

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Tally M.

Buying a car

Post by Tally M. »

In a strange stroke of luck, I'm buying a car from someone this week. I'm trying to figure out precisely what I'm going to need from him and what I need to do to be able to own the car.

Is there anyone that's bought and registered a car in Utah from a non-dealer that could help me with a step by step process of what I need to do? Trying to pull together details from the DMV is really confusing
Shrinky Dink

Re: Buying a car

Post by Shrinky Dink »

I don't know if you already found this from the DMV, but as far as paperwork goes, it looks like you need a Bill of Sale and the Title of the vehicle when you purchase the vehicle from the seller.
http://www.dmv.org/ut-utah/buy-sell/sta ... ations.php
After that, you'll get a title transfer, pay sales tax at the DMV, and register the vehicle (and possibly get new license plates).

This website gives more info on how to be safe when buying the vehicle.
http://www.stopcurbstoning.com/consumers/buy-wisely/

Unnecessary Advice:
One time, my brother was selling his truck, two guys came to test drive it, and since it was a truck, my brother didn't go with them. Later that night, my brother felt like he should move the car inside the garage, but he didn't. When he woke up that morning it was gone. He reported it stolen and they found it a few weeks later. Some poor soul had bought my brother's car from the thieves. Since it was stolen, this guy was out of luck and money. I don't think they ever found the thieves. If you are suspicious about the vehicle, I would ask the police to run the VIN in case it's stolen.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

did they make a copy of the key when they went to test drive it?
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

I guess the issue I'm more worried about is the fact that I need to drive the car from AF down to Provo and to the DMV, and he's supposed to have removed the license plates. Pretty sure it isn't legal to drive without plates.
Violet

Post by Violet »

If you drive with the title and bill of sale, you should be fine if you get pulled over. Just tell them you're driving to the DMV to get the license plates. I drove from Pleasant Grove, to my parents' house, to the Provo DMV, and I was never pulled over.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

Whistler wrote:did they make a copy of the key when they went to test drive it?
Yep. My brother learned from that. He began taking pictures of the drivers license of anyone who would test drive a car of his.
Tally M. wrote:I guess the issue I'm more worried about is the fact that I need to drive the car from AF down to Provo and to the DMV, and he's supposed to have removed the license plates. Pretty sure it isn't legal to drive without plates.
You could contact Utah Highway Patrol and ask if there is a grace period.
http://publicsafety.utah.gov/highwaypatrol/contact.html

This is what someone in Connecticut who has the same issue and some people's tips. You could contact your seller and see if any of them work for you.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/connecti ... -used.html

Overall, it looks like the DMV doesn't want to make it easy.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

It is actually a lot less hassle than I think one may imagine. The Bill of Sale is usually on the back of the title. So all you really need is that paper and a few signatures and you're good. Go to the DMV, pay the tax, they give you temporary plates (what I have done in the past is to leave the plates on there and mail them back to the seller once I had the temporary) and just go to an auto shop and do the inspection and emissions and you should be good.
Deus ab veritas
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Do I have to then go back to the dmv to register after getting it inspected?
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Tally M. wrote:Do I have to then go back to the dmv to register after getting it inspected?
No. You can do it by mail, or many places have "on the spot" registration. I think the latter still works for a new registration, but I know the former does.
Deus ab veritas