Answers I liked

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Portia

Re: Answers I liked

Post by Portia »

Another shout-out to Zed for her hair-grooming answer.

I've long touted the virtues of men's razors. I just shave around the bikini line (even on the off chance that no one besides me is, um, concerned, I still prefer to be groomed) and use small scissors to trim. It's really not something to be afraid of or to get overly concerned what a man thinks. I think the continental look would feel sweaty and get gross during menstruation, personally, but it's your body.

And though I may have an eternally divine nature, I certainly hope it has nothing to do with my pubic hair...
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

haha! I didn't even know pubic hair trimming was a thing until I got married.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Whistler wrote:haha! I didn't even know pubic hair trimming was a thing until I got married.
I wonder what single you would have thought this business was. Haha.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Portia wrote:
Whistler wrote:haha! I didn't even know pubic hair trimming was a thing until I got married.
I wonder what single you would have thought this business was. Haha.
*giggle*
NovemberEast

Post by NovemberEast »

i'm late to the game, but:
http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/83333/

I applaud autosurf for not giving the reader the "you're just snobby and emily post is dead" treatment. I'm team thank you notes.
Rainbow_connection

Post by Rainbow_connection »

Hahaha, I hate thank you notes. I hate getting them, I hate giving them, and they feel incredibly repetitive unless the gift arrived through the mail. I still write them, though, but only because I don't want people to judge me.
NovemberEast

Post by NovemberEast »

Rainbow_connection wrote:Hahaha, I hate thank you notes. I hate getting them, I hate giving them, and they feel incredibly repetitive unless the gift arrived through the mail. I still write them, though, but only because I don't want people to judge me.
They are about 111% more important when the gift is sent via mail. 4 of 5 wedding/baby gifts I've sent this year have been mailed and I seriously have no idea if they actually got them unless I pay for tracking. But even then who knows. And no way am I going to call, "uhhmmmm hi....uhmmm....did you get my gift?" because that is like fishing for compliments...fishing for thanks? I always worry the address on the wedding registry is not updated or has changed because these people are usually transient college students.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

I haven't sent out any thank you notes yet and I got married the beginning of May because on the days I feel motivated enough to do stuff, "Doing enough homework to not fail classes" has been top priority.

I really do intend to send them before summer and fall term though, because better late than never, and most of my gifts were sent via mail, so I do want people to know I got them.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I feel conflicted about thank you notes as well. I might start using the "in the mail" rule-of-thumb though! And I think a thank-you e-mail is just a good as a card.
Rainbow_connection

Yes! If the giver of the gift was there when I opened it, I thanked them in person and I may try to remember to send a card later. If they sent it via mail I'll either text them thanks and a picture of the gift in use, or send them a thank-you card depending on how formal the giver is.
Concorde

Post by Concorde »

I am a strong believer in thank-you notes, and if I don't get one from you, I make a mental note not to give you expensive gifts in the future. It just seems so...rude to me. Especially when I was a poor college student, shelling out good money for all my married friends. If I'm spending money on you, why can't you just send me a 50 cent note that at least confirms receipt and enjoyment of the gift? I put a lot of thought, care and effort into my gifts, and part of the enjoyment for me is knowing that you loved what I got you! I want you to know that I care about you via my gift, and if I don't get any acknowledgement or a thank you, I feel really hurt and don't feel particularly inclined to put a lot of thought and effort into doing it again, just to get snubbed again.

Now, if you opened it in front of me and thanked me to my face and I saw how excited/pleased you were, I don't expect a thank-you note. But if it was mailed to you, or otherwise delivered, I sure as heck expect some sort of acknowledgement that you at least got the gift.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Concorde, nice to see you round these parts.
Rainbow_connection

I hope I didn't come across as sounding like I'm ungrateful for gifts I receive. I just feel like the thank-you note is a relic of the time when all long-distance communication was done via letter. I ALWAYS thank people who give me gifts, but I prefer to thank them through whatever medium we normally use to communicate (in person, phone, email, or text).

And that being said, I did send thank you notes for my wedding presents and baby shower presents.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

My brother-in-law was the scribe when we opened our wedding presents, writing down who gave us what. Only it turned out he has terrible handwriting, and we couldn't make heads or tails of his notes. We did our best to send out thank you cards, but we eventually just had to give up.
Portia

Post by Portia »

If you put the effort into a printed invitation, you can put the effort into a printed thank you note. (I'm eloping or doing City Hall, so both points are moot, but if I still get a gift, I'm doing a card.)
NovemberEast

Post by NovemberEast »

Concorde wrote:I am a strong believer in thank-you notes, and if I don't get one from you, I make a mental note not to give you expensive gifts in the future. It just seems so...rude to me.
I do the same thing. And I don't feel bad about it.

My "favorite" instance of not receiving a thank you note was from a girl who bragged all through college about this fancy summercamp she went to growing up that had table linens in the mess hall, "graded you on manners," and included etiquette classes along with the typical archery/canoeing stuff. It did not teach her all the manners I guess.

Maybe that belonged on the rants thread.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

I wish there was a company/website that you could select an occasion (wedding, birthday, baby shower, etc), upload a spreadsheet of names, addresses, and a description of the gift, and they would generate and send the thank you notes for you. I would seriously pay for this.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Portia

Post by Portia »

Shrinky Dink wrote:I wish there was a company/website that you could select an occasion (wedding, birthday, baby shower, etc), upload a spreadsheet of names, addresses, and a description of the gift, and they would generate and send the thank you notes for you. I would seriously pay for this.
Hmmm a startup idea for myself.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

On a related note, when I do send thank you notes 4 months late, should I apologize for the lateness or just send the note as if it's normal?
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Just send as if it's normal. :) As an aside, one of my goals this year (besides "be bold(er)!") is to not apologize for things. I usually think through to myself, "if someone were to apologize about this to me, what would I think?" If I would think, "awwww, you don't need to apologize" (or "yikes, why would you apologize for something so stupid?") then I say "okay, won't apologize." For letters, if I got a letter a few months late I'd be more excited about getting the letter than "annoyed" that they sent it late. In fact, I'd just be excited they sent it at all.