Rant of the Day

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Re: Rant of the Day

Post by Emiliana »

the anglophile wrote:I cleaned up my roommates' crap in the kitchen and living room for an HOUR. I get home, nobody says thank you or anything and then they have a bunch of people and cook a ton of food without cleaning it up. I am so done.
Unsolicited advice: Do your roommates know they're annoying the crap out of you? If they do, and they persist in doing it, they're jerks. If they don't, they might just be oblivious. I'm going to be honest...I was probably "that" roommate sometimes. I never meant to be a jerk! I promise! It just didn't occur to me sometimes that my "I'll get around to it eventually" attitude towards household chores was inconsiderate. :-/
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

the anglophile wrote:I cleaned up my roommates' crap in the kitchen and living room for an HOUR. I get home, nobody says thank you or anything and then they have a bunch of people and cook a ton of food without cleaning it up. I am so done.
I gotta say, if a roommate cleaned up my stuff, I'd actually be pretty annoyed with them. I do not like people touching my stuff, messes included.
Goldberry

Post by Goldberry »

[[quote][/quote]
Last edited by Goldberry on Tue May 10, 2016 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Portia

Post by Portia »

So my biological half sister is kind of a hot mess. I suspect some kind of high functioning mental illness from her Google results. Shoplifting charges, for one. I just find it telling that poor black kids with mental illness are put in solitary and middle class white girls with mental illnesses get lawyers and go to college. -_- )
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

The ONE TIME I assume the person slowing down and pulling over to the right side of the road just forgot to turn on their blinker to turn right is the time that that person was slowing down and pulling over to the right side of the road in order to continue going straight. At least she didn't hit me (because, as before mentioned, she had been SLOWING DOWN for some reason).
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

ugggggh everyone should use turn signals consistently! I'm glad you're okay.
Portia

Post by Portia »

The funniest Twitter person I follow is a Mormon woman YA novelist. Aaaaaaand cue the "WOMEN WRITE SHLOCK" tweets.

Blink, blink.

Sometimes I feel like just being female on the Internet is itself some radical act.
the anglophile

Post by the anglophile »

BYU on campus housing is starting to piss me off. First they build the new building I'm living in waaaayyyy smaller and the desk and bed space are terrible. Then I called them today to ask if I could move in early and they say that not only do I have to be out of my a apartment by 10 AM tomorrow, I can't move in until 5 PM and I have nowhere to put my stuff unless I move it into the basement of my current building for like 5 hours then move it into my new apartment. Thanks on campus housing. You rock.
Violet

Post by Violet »

...welcome to living in apartments. You'll probably do much worse by the time you graduate (not comforting at all, I'm sorry).
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Yep. Like 50 percent of my friends have been or are homeless for one to two weeks this break because of contracts ending and starting so far apart
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

Of all my in-laws, I am currently the most tech savvy person readily available. I'm trying to help back up their computer onto an external hard drive, unfortunately, the computer has currently been working on downloading the driver for the last 24 minutes (it's still not done). It took over an hour to download the driver for the printer, so this is not unusual. The computer is also frequently running 100%CPU usage so I'm trying to go through programs one by one to see what is causing the problem or can be removed. Unfortunately, I had no influence on downloading any programs so I'm not entirely sure what they use frequently or what has just been taxing the system. Either way, they'll be needing a new desktop computer soon, which is part of the reason that I'm backing it up.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Rainbow_connection

Post by Rainbow_connection »

I hope they're at least good IT patients who accept your advice readily and don't ask too many trying questions.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

They're not bad. The extremely slow computer is making my 5 year old computer seem like a speed demon. The back up is also 77% done, so it's making progress.

Update: It is now 8 hours since I started working on this computer. When I started, I couldn't google "tsp to ml" because the page would never load. Now, the important documents on the computer have been backed up, I've uninstalled 4 programs, and the average CPU usage has gone from 95-100% down to 50-60% and I've successfully loaded a wikipedia page!
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

nice! You probably know this but ctrl+alt+delete lets you access the program manager, which can tell you which programs use the most CPU.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

Yeah, I've used that a lot the last few days. Unfortunately, occasionally the computer would freeze and ctrl+alt+delete wouldn't work for at least 2 minutes, and the computer has returned to using 90-100% of the CPU. I'm suspecting an old program called Spyware Terminator that would start running a scan every time we turned the computer on. I've changed the settings so it will stop scanning so frequently and it won't check for updates either. I don't really trust it, but my in-laws do, so I've done just about everything short of deleting it. Plus, the reviews I've read haven't been terribly great either.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

yeah, once I tried to help a friend get her computer running better and it turned out she had some malware... and there was nothing I could do short of reformatting her hard drive. Good job doing as well as you did!
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

So in education, there's this idea that if your class is "teacher-centered," that means that during class you're up in front of the room doing all the work while the kids just stare at you and passively absorb information. On the other hand, if your class is "student-centered," you do your work in advance, and then during class, you just hand over the learning to the kids! You're not working hard at all!

I just had about the most student-centered classes of my life, and I am more tired than I EVER am if I'm just lecturing......teaching is hard work, y'all.
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

Emiliana wrote:So in education, there's this idea that if your class is "teacher-centered," that means that during class you're up in front of the room doing all the work while the kids just stare at you and passively absorb information. On the other hand, if your class is "student-centered," you do your work in advance, and then during class, you just hand over the learning to the kids! You're not working hard at all!

I just had about the most student-centered classes of my life, and I am more tired than I EVER am if I'm just lecturing......teaching is hard work, y'all.
Agreed.
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
Digit

Post by Digit »

One dumb thing related to education in VA is a state law that the school year shall not begin until after Labor Day. It's known informally as the King's Dominion Law, after King's Dominion, a large amusement park. After all, with kids in school a few days or even weeks before Labor Day, just think how fewer families with kids would spend money on tourism and how there would be no teenagers to make minimum wage manning the water slides?

Of course legislators got season passes for themselves and their families, that goes without saying.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

There's a similar thing in Minnesota. Gotta have those kids working the family resorts so the families with money can bring their kids to goof off.