Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Whistler

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Whistler »

so, after the carb detox, you can lose weight more easily?
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

That's the idea. We'll see how it goes.
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

Emiliana - Good luck. If you want some motivation, I've been on a ketogenic diet for just over a month. Here's my result so far.

Let me know if you have any questions or want to discuss it!
Early to bed and early to rise
Precludes you from seeing the most brilliant starry nights
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

By the way, that result was with very little portion control and almost no exercise at all, fwiw. If I was serious about going to the gym 3x a week and worked harder to avoid hidden carbs, I'm sure it would have been better.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/inde ... ate=091715 I saw this comic and thought of some of you
Portia

Post by Portia »

Whistler wrote:http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/inde ... ate=091715 I saw this comic and thought of some of you
Haha :)
coastal goddess liberal
Portia

Post by Portia »

An MLM near my company is currently hiring for a copywriter position with a salary $10,000 more than I make. (I actually make less than I did in my first job: I'm an awesome negotiator let me tell you.)

MLMs skeeve me out on principle. Curious if anyone has experience working for one. (I have a friend who uses his non-IndoEuropean mission language in a call center for one, and he seems to like it, but he was raised in a rich family in Bountiful and married young, so he and I have some different priorities.)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

A bunch of people in my old ward worked for Vivint, which they all seemed fine with, but they also didn't work in sales. Another person I know worked at Nuskin as a chemist and she liked working there fine.
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

Cognoscente wrote:Emiliana - Good luck. If you want some motivation, I've been on a ketogenic diet for just over a month. Here's my result so far.

Very nice! That's significantly more than I've lost doing a low-calorie, high exercise diet for two months... I need to find long-term ways of lowering my carb intake, but I am also vegetarian-ish and I am not willing to let go of *that* in the long-term, so it's complicated.
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

Emiliana wrote:
Cognoscente wrote:Emiliana - Good luck. If you want some motivation, I've been on a ketogenic diet for just over a month. Here's my result so far.

Very nice! That's significantly more than I've lost doing a low-calorie, high exercise diet for two months... I need to find long-term ways of lowering my carb intake, but I am also vegetarian-ish and I am not willing to let go of *that* in the long-term, so it's complicated.
Vegetarian keto is very difficult... but it's possible! Check out /r/vegetarianketo for some resources.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Jon Hamm finally won his Emmy. Also broke up with his girlfriend of 18 years. Apparently he can join our League of People Whose Mothers Died of Cancer ... it's kind of a crappy league. (His dad has died, too.)

Maybe his character was a bit too true to life :-\
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

So I went to group therapy for the first time and it basically felt like the Boardboard in real life, so that pleasantly exceeded my expectations
Digit

Post by Digit »

Meanwhile in another universe...
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Hi team! Long time no see. Just thought I'd visit and say "Hi, how's everyone doing?"
Portia

Post by Portia »

Cognoscente wrote:
Emiliana wrote:

Vegetarian keto is very difficult... but it's possible! Check out /r/vegetarianketo for some resources.
Saw this Vox article on a man who lost 100 pounds. Probably one of the best essays on the mental issues surrounding weight loss I've read.

I was always skinny, then my weight blew up four years ago. I managed to halve my dress size in a year: and sure, being physically fit again, getting more male attention, etc. felt good, but I think that I now have some serious weight-related anxiety. (Getting down to a cheerleader figure would take an almost obsessive, singleminded dedication now.) I definitely feel like I have to be constantly vigilant, and it's hard to enjoy a meal when there's a nagging doubt that I could be thinner than I am now (true, I suppose) and that that would make me a better, more likable, more competent person (debatable?).

I've definitely experienced the family snarkiness: just a month ago my grandma said that a dress "made me look pregnant." I'm a size 8—the same size I was as a college freshman. I feel like I waste a lot of mental energy over a number on the scale that is already fine.

TL;DR I really admire those who actually have an uphill battle to climb—our society is stacked against you as it is.
Portia

Post by Portia »

And of course, there are several great Board questions about weight loss and mental health, some specifically for those of us at already-average weight:
It was comforting to know I'm not the only person who has experienced this anxiety. It's hard to admit to myself that the skinniest time of my life was also the most emotionally wrenching time in my life: but hey, I sure did look good naked!
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Hi team! Long time no see. Just thought I'd visit and say "Hi, how's everyone doing?"
Hey there! Not bad on my end, just chugging away at this whole being-a-teacher thing. What's new with you?
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

One of my relatives died in the stampede at the Hajj. I'd only met him once, but I feel awful for his wife and my family. He must have been so scared.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Imogen wrote:One of my relatives died in the stampede at the Hajj. I'd only met him once, but I feel awful for his wife and my family. He must have been so scared.
:( I'm so sorry.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Imogen wrote:One of my relatives died in the stampede at the Hajj. I'd only met him once, but I feel awful for his wife and my family. He must have been so scared.
:-(