Rant of the Day

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
Cognoscente

Re: Rant of the Day

Post by Cognoscente »

Marduk wrote:Or a male princess.
Sword in the Stone?
Early to bed and early to rise
Precludes you from seeing the most brilliant starry nights
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

That's a king.
Deus ab veritas
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

1. It wasn't a dove. Unless the Holy Spirit is a green sparrow looking thing now I fail to see your point. But I'm one of the oldest apostates around here so what do I know.

2. ...I could be okay with him being a Disney princess.

3. I may not understand Oregonians, but I do understand the Las Vegas and Salt Lake liberal kids that I have as Facebook friends and sometimes I want to go back to February 20 and caucus for Hillary instead just to make it clear that I'm not with these people.

I CANNOT WITH THIS BIRD THING. I probably need to just pop a Valium and calm down, but I am so over this whole process this year.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

TheBlackSheep wrote:I may not understand Oregonians, but I do understand the Las Vegas and Salt Lake liberal kids that I have as Facebook friends and sometimes I want to go back to February 20 and caucus for Hillary instead just to make it clear that I'm not with these people.
Bernie Sanders may be my top choice, but (some of) his online fans are the most annoying thing to happen to politics this year that is not directly connected to Donald Trump.

So many rants that I haven't said out loud yet.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I had to look up the Bernie Sanders bird thing... well now
Violet

Post by Violet »

yayfulness wrote:
TheBlackSheep wrote:I may not understand Oregonians, but I do understand the Las Vegas and Salt Lake liberal kids that I have as Facebook friends and sometimes I want to go back to February 20 and caucus for Hillary instead just to make it clear that I'm not with these people.
Bernie Sanders may be my top choice, but (some of) his online fans are the most annoying thing to happen to politics this year that is not directly connected to Donald Trump.

So many rants that I haven't said out loud yet.
Quoting for truth.
Portia

Post by Portia »

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/ ... -the-g-o-p

This is why I can't exorcise myself over Sanders vs Clinton stylistic differences. When this is the kind of thinking feeding ugly rants at my Easter dinner table ... I really can't see a moral equivalency there.
NovemberEast

Post by NovemberEast »

So there are 18 babies due in my ward right now. This might be normal for a provo ward. Not sure? But I live it Texas, so this is not even close to normal for us. Anyways, the RS presidency I think got a little too excited about this. So, in their monthly email announcements, my Relief Society announced the worst activity I have ever heard of....
This Thursday, April 7, is our RS Activity. We will be 'Celebrating Life', specifically in the form of supporting all the pregnant and new mothers in our ward. We invite all sisters to attend. ***** has come up with a really cute craft. I've attached a picture of the Footprint Butterfly. Bring any of your children that you would like to have participate. Those of you without kids attending will help as it is a '2 man job'. She suggests bringing an old shirt or apron. She will have all of the supplies there.
If you have any questions about pregnancy, taking care of a newborn, parenting children... bring them along. We will have open discussion about any or everything:)
Apparently it upset the single people and the women who can't have kids. I don't blame them, I mean they're basically just a prop for the moms to use in a craft for their kids. A week after announcing it they had to announce "we didn't mean to offend anyone, we just wanted to celebrate life."

What?

But they decided to do it anyways.

Yes, it's a little exclusionary. I was not one of the initially offended. I'm just really really really NOT interested because I will probably be annoyed if I go. I don't want to talk about babies or gross pregnancy/birth things. By my age, I've had plenty of opportunity to hear of all the horrors and such and I would just rather not. It brings out the anxiety I have regarding children from my otherwise calm demeanor. Like, I want children, but my rational and avoidant self comes out when I'm assaulted with all of this "you will never understand being tired/love/service/whatever until you have kids" Really? how do these moms know I haven't been as tired before and that I wouldn't understand? I was once an architecture student and I survived off of about 3-4 hours of sleep every 24 hours for weeks at a time all while nursing my dominate hand/forearm back to health after accidentally severing a tendon in it while cutting a piece for a model. I was also serving as vice president of a giant student organization and managed to get decent grades. BUT I didn't get a cuddly baby out of it, so I guess it doesn't count as a possible source of empathy for being tired and not getting a break for yourself. But the thing is, I don't think my lack of sleep or pain was any worse than what someone else went through. Babies...architecture school....whatever...It's all hard and no one gets to sleep. The end.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

yeah, I think you had it worse than a new mom XD
NovemberEast

Post by NovemberEast »

HAHA. Well, I can honestly say I'd rather have my severed tendon and stitches around my hand than episiotomy stitches. But that's just me. Both get in the way of everyday functioning and would be super annoying without sleep. Which is why I get annoyed with the absolutes of "you could never abc until you xyz."

It's obnoxious and motherhood, no matter how great, is no excuse.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

NovemberEast wrote:So there are 18 babies due in my ward right now. This might be normal for a provo ward. Not sure? But I live it Texas, so this is not even close to normal for us. Anyways, the RS presidency I think got a little too excited about this. So, in their monthly email announcements, my Relief Society announced the worst activity I have ever heard of....
This Thursday, April 7, is our RS Activity. We will be 'Celebrating Life', specifically in the form of supporting all the pregnant and new mothers in our ward. We invite all sisters to attend. ***** has come up with a really cute craft. I've attached a picture of the Footprint Butterfly. Bring any of your children that you would like to have participate. Those of you without kids attending will help as it is a '2 man job'. She suggests bringing an old shirt or apron. She will have all of the supplies there.
If you have any questions about pregnancy, taking care of a newborn, parenting children... bring them along. We will have open discussion about any or everything:)
Apparently it upset the single people and the women who can't have kids. I don't blame them, I mean they're basically just a prop for the moms to use in a craft for their kids. A week after announcing it they had to announce "we didn't mean to offend anyone, we just wanted to celebrate life."
I can see why they'd want to do that sort of activity in those circumstances, but man is that tone deaf.
NovemberEast wrote:Like, I want children, but my rational and avoidant self comes out when I'm assaulted with all of this "you will never understand being tired/love/service/whatever until you have kids" Really? how do these moms know I haven't been as tired before and that I wouldn't understand? I was once an architecture student and I survived off of about 3-4 hours of sleep every 24 hours for weeks at a time all while nursing my dominate hand/forearm back to health after accidentally severing a tendon in it while cutting a piece for a model. I was also serving as vice president of a giant student organization and managed to get decent grades. BUT I didn't get a cuddly baby out of it, so I guess it doesn't count as a possible source of empathy for being tired and not getting a break for yourself. But the thing is, I don't think my lack of sleep or pain was any worse than what someone else went through. Babies...architecture school....whatever...It's all hard and no one gets to sleep. The end.
I wonder what it is that motivates the whole "You'll never understand X until you're a mother" attitude, because it's definitely not limited to things like pain and a lack of sleep. (I.e., I also hear a lot of things like "You'll never understand the love of Heavenly Father until you're a parent.") I think it's actually a pretty defensive attitude. Like, my life is really hard and miserable right now because I'm a (new) mother, so I have to come up with some sort of external justification or reward that isn't available to non-mothers, otherwise it would mean that all of my pain and suffering wasn't worth it.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Maybe it's an accidental extrapolation of their own experiences. Like, they didn't understand Heavenly Father's love as much until they became a mother, so they assume no one else does.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

My choir had a concert today on Temple Square.

1. We had to be there an hour and a half early for NO REASON aside from "Tabernacle rules."

2. We sang a really difficult piece that starts with a whole bunch of mini-solos. I'm the third solo. I came in a measure too early. I threw off the ENTIRE FIRST TWO PAGES.

3. I meant to ask for a ride home. Chickened out, but it's fine, right, I'll just take the train. Except the trax was so late that the frontrunner left several minutes before I got to the station, and the next train was in an hour and a half, so Marduk came to get me instead which I then felt guilty about.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

I'm in LA because I took my girlfriend to the opening day of Harry Potter World. We are staying in a hotel in Hollywood, and even the paid public lots around here are a disaster. You can park overnight in some street spots, so I did last night. I missed a sign somehow (one that isn't in other very similar street spots) and my car got impounded. $280 down the drain. Booooooooooo.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

https://bycommonconsent.com/2016/04/09/ ... allowance/

Can we all spam the Title IX coordinator with complaints? I feel like this violates the "no retaliation against victims for reporting" clause.

BYU frustrates me so much sometimes.
Portia

Post by Portia »

So I have to give this other school that wants me to ruin my life with mega-debt a yes/no answer Monday. Visited, having fun seeing the sights (including a Mormon temple that everyone was like, have to see it!), but man is it not the right place for me right now.

Super frustrating that the school that IS the right choice is like, rolling admission! Although I got an acceptance letter?? I feel like it's a metaphor.

I talked it through with the boyfriend though and what came out of my mouth is I'd rather quit the job and move to Boulder if they renege than move to SoCal. So that's progress in actually mentalizing what I want in life.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Tally M. wrote:Maybe it's an accidental extrapolation of their own experiences. Like, they didn't understand Heavenly Father's love as much until they became a mother, so they assume no one else does.
Yeah, but that's a pretty big extrapolation. And I don't think it would exist without cultural support. (I.e., if I love my dog more than I've ever loved anyone, it's not like the Church is telling us that dog ownership is our greatest achievement.)
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Ughhhhhh. I left town for a couple of days to chaperone a school trip. When I left, the trash can was full, but otherwise the kitchen was completely and totally clean. Two days later I'm home, and not only is the trashcan *overflowing*, but all of the trash my husband generated in my absence is lying around on the counters THAT I HAD JUST CLEANED.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Emiliana wrote:Ughhhhhh. I left town for a couple of days to chaperone a school trip. When I left, the trash can was full, but otherwise the kitchen was completely and totally clean. Two days later I'm home, and not only is the trashcan *overflowing*, but all of the trash my husband generated in my absence is lying around on the counters THAT I HAD JUST CLEANED.
INTERVENTION
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

A woman I know told me that whenever she leaves on a trip she leaves the house spotlessly clean so that when she gets back she can definitively say that any mess she finds is her husband's problem.