Rant of the Day

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Re: Rant of the Day

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Dear everyone: sharing that your ultrasound has successfully found enough evidence of genitalia to declare your baby a boy or girl is one thing. Sharing the actual ultrasound photo with an arrow pointing out said genitalia makes me feel very strange inside. Please don't.

Alternately, keep sharing said photos and I will relieve my feelings by posting "Thanks for sharing your baby's penis/vulva with us!" as a comment, thereby making you feel as awkward about this as I do.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

A woman in my ward posted in our FB group that she had an air conditioner she was giving away, practically new, for free, and did anybody want it. Well, there's a woman who's kind of in the ward who immediately popped up and said she wanted it, but she lives far away and needed someone to pick it up for her. But the thing is, she's a serious hoarder. No matter what anyone posts she chimes in and says she wants it. Sometimes very aggressively. A lot of people know this about her and will politely worm their way out of giving her things. Anyway, she said she wanted it, but it depended on having it picked up by somebody else, so I posted and said if things fell through I'd like to call second-in-line dibs.

Then the poster posted again and said she accidentally deleted the first post, and asked the first woman if she still wanted the unit. And I thought, great, this is my in if she doesn't respond, because I have second dibs. But then she posted about it a third time (how are all these posts getting deleted? This woman is old, but come on!) and before I could remind her of my dibs, another woman said she wanted it and they made arrangements for it to be picked up today.

I really want to jump in and say, hold the phone, I had dibs, is nothing sacred to you? But I'd just look like a poor sport, so I can't, and I'm just so mad. Plus this woman is getting it to give to a family who doesn't have AC, which makes me feel selfish for wanting it for my workshop, but part of me says it shouldn't matter - dibs is dibs. This whole thing is just making me unreasonably upset, and I'm a stewer so I'm just going to get more upset if I don't say anything. Grrr.

Update: I ate some goldfish crackers and now I'm over it. Talk about hangry.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

UNFAIR. Also goldfish are great.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

Hearing that Ted Cruz has dropped out of the Republican primary now that Trump has become the inevitable nominee is like being stuck in the middle of a burning building and finding out that I’m not actually going to die of poisoning.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

This person: http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/86255/

So you say you have had conversations where you yourself have said that liberal people don't have strong testimonies, and you don't want people to judge you that way. You have helped perpetuate the beliefs that you would be judged by. I hope you realize that and are willing to speak up in future about how someone's political beliefs do not correlate to their testimonies, their integrity, or their goodness.

Also, all of those beliefs you say are good ideas... Those are liberal beliefs, babe. Grade A liberalism. In fact, you only cite being prolife and anti-gay marriage as your conservative beliefs. Lots of democrats have those beliefs but they have decided that the good ideas you mention are more important. Welcome to the dark side, little flower. You are one of us.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I don't see how you say yay Bernie, nevah Hillary, but are cool with Kasich. This makes no sense to me.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

TheBlackSheep wrote:This person: http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/86255/

Welcome to the dark side, little flower. You are one of us.
Yaaaaaaasssssssss
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

For our stake's production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, we're in charge of finding our own costumes for Go, Go, Go Joseph. I went with a couple friends to check out some options. We took some pictures of our best/most ridiculous outfits.

The person taking the pictures chose The Worst picture of me to post to Instagram.

And then she also posted it to Facebook, which I did not sign off on. Now the comment thread is full of other cast members offended that they weren't invited on the excursion (which is exactly what I feared).

So now i feel bad but I'm also annoyed because this didn't have to happen. And if it did have to happen, why couldn't it have been one of the other photos.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

Work is increasing the length of our shifts by 50% but thinking of only increasing the length of our breaks by 17%.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Smiling selfies in front of monuments to tragedies. Can they stop?
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

The school is charging my husband for student health insurance because he didn't submit a health insurance waiver within a week after classes started even though he submitted the waiver more than a week before his classes started. We're going to call them on Monday and hopefully they'll waive it because I'm not paying for it.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Violet

Post by Violet »

Shrinky Dink wrote:The school is charging my husband for student health insurance because he didn't submit a health insurance waiver within a week after classes started even though he submitted the waiver more than a week before his classes started. We're going to call them on Monday and hopefully they'll waive it because I'm not paying for it.
My first year at BYU my roommate didn't think to submit her health insurance waiver. This was a few years back but once she submitted her information and showed she'd been insured the entire time, they worked with her.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I'm not too familiar/comfortable with trans issues — I've known a non-trans crossdresser, and that's about where my personal experience stops — but I am truly baffled by this bathroom imbroglio.

Even if you were uncomfortable around trans folks, if you're really that concerned about sexual assault, I feel a lot more fear from the (presumably straight, non-trans) men who verbally harass me on public transit, than the zero people who have bothered me in a public restroom, ever. And yeah, I don't like changing in front of people much, but if a woman was born as a man and wants to go swimming and is changing ... this doesn't affect me? Like, at all?

You're already sharing public spaces with LGBT people, who are very unlikely to bother you. And are probably a LOT more likely to be harassed than you.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Well, the whole thing also just perpetuates the false idea that assaults are likely to occur at the hands of a stranger, even though most victims know their attacker. But as soon as you know your attacker, people start questioning whether it was REALLY assault, because like, you were friends, right?
Portia

Post by Portia »

Zedability wrote:Well, the whole thing also just perpetuates the false idea that assaults are likely to occur at the hands of a stranger, even though most victims know their attacker. But as soon as you know your attacker, people start questioning whether it was REALLY assault, because like, you were friends, right?
"North Carolina State Legislator Murders Trans Sex Worker After Bathroom Encounter" is, like, not at all a surprising potential headline, right?

Whereas "Straight Somewhat Priggish Utah Woman Had a Nightmare Last Night in Which Donald J. Trump was Heckling Her While She Was Naked at a Bathhouse, and Still, Wait, Yeah, No Trans People Bothered Her, Can We Pass Laws About Having Trump at Swimming Pools Plz" is the headline that would give me more comfort. ^_^
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

Today it turns out a major opportunity I've been planning on for months now, something that would affect my career and entire life, isn't going to happen after all. I worked hard and didn't sell myself short, and that's all I could have done, I guess.
Early to bed and early to rise
Precludes you from seeing the most brilliant starry nights
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

well darn! :-( sorry man
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Cognoscente wrote:Today it turns out a major opportunity I've been planning on for months now, something that would affect my career and entire life, isn't going to happen after all. I worked hard and didn't sell myself short, and that's all I could have done, I guess.
Personally, I think you would have been amazing in Hamilton, but sometimes the producers just want to go in a different direction.
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

Katya wrote:Personally, I think you would have been amazing in Hamilton, but sometimes the producers just want to go in a different direction.
You wouldn't believe the looks I got when I insisted that Jefferson could be white!
Early to bed and early to rise
Precludes you from seeing the most brilliant starry nights
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Yay for getting mono right before trying to take (now rescheduled) engagement pictures.