Liberal is the new conservative

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Portia

Liberal is the new conservative

Post by Portia »

So I don't think I've been called conservative since I was a senior in high school. That was interesting ... maybe I am conservative for Boulder?

... Eh, no, still liberal.

But I can think of posters here (I think of them as the Twitter Board Writers) who are liberal in the manner I speak of. Case in point: the FB group is freaking out about Yiannopoulos coming, and while I think he's a douche and a troll, I actually don't see merit in shutting down his event unless he incites violence or something.

And the syllabus question is another interesting point. There's a difference between Social Justice Liberals and other stripes (economic, libertarian, classical): I'm not a SJL, and pretending to be one to gain brownie points seems dishonorable to me.

I don't share the DEFCON 1 levels of apoplectic rage over identity politics, but it's definitely not my thing. (I don't think it's really a Thing outside people who want to go on for the Ph.D. or Liberal Twitter, but that's just my opinion.)

It's somewhat analogous to the difference in kind between a basic vanilla Mormon GOP leaner (still conservative!) and a Tea Partier (radical!) and a Yiannopoulous (its own thing, alt-right, I guess).