sexy calendar

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

sexy calendar

Post by Imogen »

I think my title sort of sums it up. check out this article on CNN. i find the kerfluffle amusing (almost as amusing as "kerfluffle), but hope the guy doesn't get excommunicated
beautiful, dirty, rich
xkcd ***
Location: The spiritual BYU campus, but apparently not as Holy as BYU-I.

Re: sexy calendar

Post by xkcd *** »

Imogen wrote:I think my title sort of sums it up. check out this article on CNN. i find the kerfluffle amusing (almost as amusing as "kerfluffle), but hope the guy doesn't get excommunicated
what article?
Portia

Post by Portia »

Wonder if it's about the missionary calendar . . . that one is just silly, in my opinion . . .
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Portia wrote:Wonder if it's about the missionary calendar . . . that one is just silly, in my opinion . . .
yes it is! oy i meant to copy and paste the link, but i was sleepy and obviously failed.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflif ... index.html

i think it's silly. and kinda weird. like, "what's the best way to show mormons aren't stuffy.....shirtless men!"
beautiful, dirty, rich
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

Beefcake!!
Early to bed and early to rise
Precludes you from seeing the most brilliant starry nights
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

I saw this last night and it got me thinking. If I was someone in charge at a business or an organization, and someone organized my employees to do a similar calendar, advertising with the name of my organization, I think I'd be unhappy with them. I wouldn't want to have someone making money off the name of my company or organization without my permission, especially when the calendar is likely at cross purposes with my business image. It's even weirder to do the same to a religious organization, where the calendar theme and pecuniary interests of its organizer conflict with the image, morals, and purpose of the religious denomination. I don't know if it's the sort of thing that merits excommunication, but I'd probably fire the dude if he worked for me.

Also note the article's apparent lack of familiarity with the structure of the Mormon Church. It describes the calendar organizer as being called before a "council of elders," rather than what I can only assume is a Stake High Council. I also got a good laugh out of this guy's assertion that half-naked men contributed to interfaith dialogue. If that was the case, interfaith dialogue wouldn't have reached a high point with naked hippies in the 1960's.
- Benvolio
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

I also think it is funny that he is trying to get past the "stuffy" image we have and "shake it up a bit". Um, people - its a CHURCH. Not a rock band that needs a hip new image. Churches are kinda supposed to be "stuffy". Moral values, and all that. And some kids think this will make it easier to talk to their peers about us? Are you actually spreading the GOSPEL at that point, or just trying to be more accepted?

"Well, I wasn't interested in your church before, but now that you have shirtless guys in a calendar, that's a whole 'nother story."
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

i'm just confused about why he made this calender because he's inactive and isn't involved with the church anymore. that would be like me going to a catholic church and making a sexy priests calender.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

Imogen wrote:i'm just confused about why he made this calender because he's inactive and isn't involved with the church anymore. that would be like me going to a catholic church and making a sexy priests calender.
Answer: $$$$$
- Benvolio