Nine for Random Chatter, doomed to die

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Whistler

Re: Nine for Random Chatter, doomed to die

Post by Whistler »

Rifka wrote:
Whistler wrote:anyone have any tips on getting bread machine paddles unstuck?
Unstuck from what? The dough? The machine?
From the machine. Although it looks like they'll send us some new parts!
Rifka

Post by Rifka »

Whistler wrote:
Rifka wrote:
Whistler wrote:anyone have any tips on getting bread machine paddles unstuck?
Unstuck from what? The dough? The machine?
From the machine. Although it looks like they'll send us some new parts!
That's nice they're sending you new parts! In the meantime, I'd try putting a little oil on the area where it's stuck and see if that helps to lubricate it. I'm assuming you're talking about a bread maker and not a bread mixer?
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

We have three spambots with birthdays today. They should get together and have some spam cake.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

I just got a facebook message from one of my former ESL students that said, "I miss u smile face!"
Defy V

Post by Defy V »

Just finished Hero of Ages. Started it Wednesday evening at about 10 (right after finishing Well of Ascension).

I'm tired. And my dreams are probably going to be interesting tonight.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I worry too much about what other people think my motives are. I need to remember that it doesn't matter why people think I'm doing something, the only thing that matters is my motives.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Good motto, Unit! I have been struggling to remember that myself lately.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I'm no patent lawyer, but this just seems too general to be considerable as novel and non-obvious. With the description "Electronic Device" and claim "We claim the ornamental design for an electronic device, substantially as shown and described." If you look at the drawings, they're not too substantial, just a rectangular parallelepiped with rounded corners and one or two surface lines.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Defy V wrote:Just finished Hero of Ages. Started it Wednesday evening at about 10 (right after finishing Well of Ascension).

I'm tired. And my dreams are probably going to be interesting tonight.
Love those books. My sis-in-law is reading Well of Ascension right now.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

I need to read them again. It's been a couple years. Every time I go to start, though, it feels like too much work. I'm almost done with HP 4 though! Then I'll read HP 5, and I'm undecided on the rest.

I read CoS and tried to read PoA but it was just ... was it boring? I've read that one so many times before, and it's not as complex as the later ones. Something's wrong with me.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

C is for wrote:I need to read them again. It's been a couple years. Every time I go to start, though, it feels like too much work. I'm almost done with HP 4 though! Then I'll read HP 5, and I'm undecided on the rest.

I read CoS and tried to read PoA but it was just ... was it boring? I've read that one so many times before, and it's not as complex as the later ones. Something's wrong with me.
Have you read them all before? Or are you just talking about a reread. Because if you're talking about your first time, I will cry if you stop at HP5. Because #6 and 7 are my favorites.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Dragon Lady wrote:
C is for wrote:I need to read them again. It's been a couple years. Every time I go to start, though, it feels like too much work. I'm almost done with HP 4 though! Then I'll read HP 5, and I'm undecided on the rest.

Have you read them all before? Or are you just talking about a reread. Because if you're talking about your first time, I will cry if you stop at HP5. Because #6 and 7 are my favorites.
Yes. Yes I've read them all before. Countless times. I was thinking recently how long it's been since I did a full reread of all the series, but I just couldn't take HP1 or HP3 for reasons unknown. Loving GoF to pieces though.
Tao

Post by Tao »

C is for wrote:...But I just couldn't take HP1 or HP3 for reasons unknown.
Perhaps due to the sub-par writing?

Sorry. I tried reading Harry Potter again, to little avail. Rowling's first novel is little better than Paolini's. Would it be cheating to jump to book six and pray that the rhetoric improves as much as people claim?
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Today I learned that a magic eraser can turn black crayon to a light grey haze - in a library book. When I saw the coloring and confronted my three year old about it, she immediately said it was big brother who did it. And then I pointed out that it was her name, in her handwriting, in the front cover. Hang on, the narrative as she told Grandpa about her day was my favorite.

"First we thought it was [big brother] who colored. But then Mommy said it was me. And then Mommy was mean at me."

Being "mean at" her of course meant I scolded her and told her how she should never do that again, and we can't check out books from the library if she doesn't keep them nice. But apparently she thought tattling on me to Grandpa would get her some sympathy. I guess we'll see what sort of forgiving mood the librarian is in when we return it. Sigh.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I've seen clear crayons that only leave visible markings on the special paper you can buy. Of course getting them not to draw where they shouldn't is far more of a solution.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

You know, I've never really understood folks who read or watch the same thing over, and over, and over. Even my absolute favorite books and movies I've read or seen perhaps a half dozen times, and even then, it is usually just to introduce it to someone else.
Deus ab veritas
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Marduk wrote:You know, I've never really understood folks who read or watch the same thing over, and over, and over. Even my absolute favorite books and movies I've read or seen perhaps a half dozen times, and even then, it is usually just to introduce it to someone else.
Same here! And I only read a book again if it is amazing and it has been a few years. The only books I can think of that I've read multiple times are "East of Eden" and "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde." There are probably others, I just don't do it much.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Marduk wrote:You know, I've never really understood folks who read or watch the same thing over, and over, and over. Even my absolute favorite books and movies I've read or seen perhaps a half dozen times, and even then, it is usually just to introduce it to someone else.
Wow. Well, I don't understand people who never reread or rewatch something (although it sounds like that's not exactly your situation).
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

My grandpa - who is 96, and wasn't always active in the church - often says he has no idea why people go back to the temple more than once. "I've already seen that picture show." We tried explaining to him it was more than just a movie, but eventually gave up.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

hey i'm the title bar! i feel good!
beautiful, dirty, rich