Answers I liked

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

NovemberEast

Re: Answers I liked

Post by NovemberEast »

I just liked this:

"Basically, I hope you're wrong because Facebook stalking is pretty much my favorite and only hobby."

-Ms. O'Malley
Digit

Post by Digit »

Bimbo
It's also a baked snacks company.
Quite a product naming department they have.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Bimbo is delicious.

Also, calling someone "negrito" does not have near the same negative connotations in Spanish as it does in English.
Deus ab veritas
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

In Chile, as far as I could tell, it was used literally the same way we would use "black" in the US, referring to people.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I knew a guy from the Dominican Republic who told me that where he lived, taco was more associated with the heel of a man's dress shoe than the food item.
yayfulness wrote:In Chile, as far as I could tell, it was used literally the same way we would use "black" in the US, referring to people.
Reminded me of a funny bit in which the terminology for people and products is mixed.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

"This is one of the many times Full House featured astonishing scientific accuracy." This made me giggle, I don't know why. Thanks MODAQ! Could a writer please let me know whether or not someone has already jumped in and asked "What other times did Full House feature astonishing scientific accuracy?" If no one has yet, then have I got a question for ya.

ETA: More good quotes today: "Babies, and newborns in particular, are really bad at being humans." Ms. O'Malley!

And, both the question and Zed's answer. Haaaah! PS Making out in the movie theater sounds fun but then actually is pretty awkward and why are you even spending money to make out somewhere that isn't comfortable and NOT watch the movie?? (I know some reasons, but still.)
Portia

Post by Portia »

yayfulness wrote:Imagine for a moment that happiness and beauty were completely unrelated—if you had to choose between being happy and unattractive or being beautiful and unhappy, with no other alternatives, which would you choose?
I'll take Rhetorical Questions for $600, Alex. Beautiful and unhappy, no question: I don't want to be completely unrecognizable to myself. ^_^ /rimshot

I find the American obsession with happiness neurotic. It seems so performative, rather than a reflection of authentic feeling. There are plenty of things to get down about in the world (and that have nothing to do with your nose or cheekbones). So, go do something about them.
Portia

Post by Portia »

In my elementary school, there was an aphorism we often repeated:
Happiness is a byproduct of doing for others.
It really is the only reliable prescription for contentment I know.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

There are some pretty serious drawbacks to pursuing happiness for the sake of happiness. I mostly wrote my answer the way I did because I suspect that it's the best way to reach this particular person. When you dedicate your life to a Thing in order to achieve Happiness, chances are you'll fail on both counts. And in my opinion, the first step towards a healthier understanding of happiness is to see that the Thing prevents both Happiness and happiness.

Really, though, that elementary school quote is pretty spot-on.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

I'd agree, of course, but just to play devil's advocate, and because I went to therapy today and am correspondingly melancholic, it can be taken too far.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

And I likewise agree with you. (Honestly, one of my biggest fears about giving advice on the Board is that people will take it.)
Digit

Post by Digit »

Reminds me of the chorus line from The Money Song from Avenue Q.
♫When you help others, you can't help helping yourself!♫
Portia

Post by Portia »

So what do we think the real major was for "underwater basket weaving"? Ceramics? Gender Studies? Family Life? Vocal Performance? I'm scratching my head at what field is both unemployable, a turnoff to men, but something one would get highly attached to.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Some sort of really specialized science? You can't do anything with a BS in Neuroscience, you'd have to go to graduate school. But it sounds intimidating enough to turn off men.
Portia

Post by Portia »

But I think l neuroscience is the opposite of an arts and crafts field: highly masculine,by enrollment considered very selective.

Maybe I'm thinking too literally...
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I'd guess some kind of performing art. Maybe theater?
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

I guess my experience at BYU is that men are typically more turned off by women in a masculine field than women in the arts. But I've never been an arts major so I guess I wouldn't know the difference
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Based on the way the question was asked, I wonder if men are turned off by the major itself or the woman's (unending?) talking about it.
the anglophile

Post by the anglophile »

How on earth do you get rejected from BYU with a 3.89/34...? Must have been some weird confounding variable like ecclesiastical endorsement or something but still....
The Happy Medium

Post by The Happy Medium »

Seriously, I'd guess they were lying about something. I got in with a 3.4/31 and I didn't apply for any other schools. BYU is tough to get in to but not that tough.