Answers I liked

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

thatonemom

Re: Answers I liked

Post by thatonemom »

*sneaks out of boardboard hiatus*
Tthe answers from this reunion tour are excellent. I've really appreciated it. Katya's answer on trials, all TBS' answers that basically give people permission to take care of themselves. Good stuff all around.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Thanks, thatonemom!
Violet

Post by Violet »

There are rare times when I miss ProvOrem and the food answers just brought up all of it.

Where I live has great food options sure, but they're frequently one note. I've had Thai and Indian food each once and too much fried food and barbecue. The TexMex is something I'm not tired of, but tortas sound delicious and actual Mexican food is authentic. I haven't found them anywhere here that doesn't require me to speak Spanish—maybe a skill I should acquire.

I may have talked to two separate people about my love for Cafe Rio this last week and how La Jolla was overrated. But really, I just want gelato. And Italian wood-fire oven pizza. And bakeries with delicious pastries (I miss Provo Bakery and Shirley's). Also maple donuts are a rare thing here and I can't get them in the grocery stores. What's up with that?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Marduk wrote:I feel like I should be raising some sort of courtroom objection about asked and answered.
Overruled!
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/82061/

A stellar answer from GA:
I see replenish in the light of "train up a child in the way he should go," so to me it's about raising a righteous generation of children. Maybe they're your own kids, maybe they're not. Maybe you're just a really rad Sunday School teacher. Maybe the commandment should be "multiply and/or replenish the earth."
Portia

Post by Portia »

It's been kind of an emotionally exhausting weekend of DTRing, and not sleeping any earlier although I have to get up like four hours earlier every day, so thanks to M.O.D.A.Q. and Uffish for making me laugh with the band name "A Comma of a Person" and Uffish's "I Promise Not to Press Charges" cardboard sign.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/82023/

Binge listening! I didn't know other people did this! I feel slightly less alone in the world now.
Portia

Post by Portia »

The one-month courtship must be back, because it definitely was on the decline when I was a student. I'm kind of obsessed with behavioral economics. Very interesting.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Marguerite wrote:
  • It's really hard growing up with questions about where you came from and not having answers. If I were to adopt now, I'd definitely lean toward it being open

My biggest thing was that I never knew who I looked like. It drove me absolutely crazy.

No one was able to answer why my birth parents couldn't raise me (or, as I believed, didn't love/want me).
I really appreciated MSJ's answer on adoption. I was (obviously) a lot more like her than her sister in attitude, and I think it's awesome that she flies out to see her bio fam!
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

I was hoping the chalk circle question would reference the movie Support Your Local Sheriff where the sheriff draws a chalk line, splatters some paint, and is able to keep a guy in jail with it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiFLTtjeuDc it's honestly one of my favorite movies :)
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Rainbow_connection

Post by Rainbow_connection »

I really liked Haleakala's answer tohttps://theboard.byu.edu/questions/82241/. I think sometimes in the quest for equality and fairness it's easy to focus on sameness, but everyone's life and needs aren't the same.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

It reminds me of this picture

*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/82234/

Fantastic answer by Yayfulness (especially since I used to live in that part of eastern Maine that was more than 200 miles from a temple). Also, I was confused by yay's reference to Thiessen polygons, since they looked like Voronoi polygons to me. (Turns out they're basically the same thing.)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/82280/
yayfulness wrote:My advice? Don't be born during finals week.
As someone with a mid-December birthday, I second that advice.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/82214/

:shock: This is the best thing ever.

(Although, ironically, I was not born under my own sign.)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Katya wrote:http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/82214/

:shock: This is the best thing ever.

(Although, ironically, I was not born under my own sign.)
wait, is the compatibility based on real life!?
Portia

Post by Portia »

Holy Board Reunion, Batman!
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Wow Zed! I can tell you put a lot of work into that answer about the September Six. I feel sheepish that I just threw in my opinion and left the rest for someone else to take care of. I'm also edified by reading your answer, since I honestly felt like I couldn't trust a lot of the information out there about the excommunications, and it was hard to find a succinct summary. Thank you for doing the internet a valuable service.
I often see in a type of intellectual elitism that tries to claim that one's testimony is better because they're full of doubts, which they are able to handle because they're "smarter." I had a mission companion describe this attitude as, "I'm so smart that I can't know anything!" Again, this is very different than being willing to research and look at tough issues.
I admit, I'm guilty of this. I think part of me is afraid of what I would find out if I did look into tough issues like polygamy. I like my faith the way it is, with certain things shoved to the side and things I don't understand. :?

However, I do take issue with this statement:
Anything that significantly hinders the conversion of non-members and encourages members to doubt the words of prophets is, again, against our covenants.
I have sustained my church leaders, but that isn't the same to me as never doubting or publicly expressing those doubts. I don't recall covenanting to not doubt or not encourage others to do so. Do you see not contradicting leaders as part of sustaining them?
Digit

Post by Digit »

Reminds me of a movie scene.
We don't have to ask those kinds of questions, do we mom?
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.