Nine for Random Chatter, doomed to die

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Re: Nine for Random Chatter, doomed to die

Post by Unit of Energy »

When I went to Disneyland there were no lines. Granted, we went October 2001.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I prefer to think of it as finding joy in the obscure rather than the popular.
Deus ab veritas
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Marduk wrote:I prefer to think of it as finding joy in the obscure rather than the popular.
If you wanted to emphasize joy, you probably shouldn't have couched your statement in terms of hatred. ;)
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I went to Disneyland once, and while I wouldn't say I exactly hated it, I think it would have been pretty awful if I had been a young child. There was a lot of standing around and being really hot. And it was February.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I've never been to Disneyland. Nor even California. Unless you count the airport.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

You stood in lines in February, NerdGirl? I went to year round school as a kid and one of the awesomest perk was three weeks of no school in the middle of the winter, during which we often went to California. I thought it was perfect because it was a pleasant temperature and the lines were so much shorter. Then there was the year that the only shoes I took with me were my moon boots . . . in my defense, I was about six years old.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

And Marduk, isn't loving something for the reason that it's obscure just as mindless as loving something for the the reason that it's popular? I will grant you that it might take more effort to hunt it out, but as much as I dislike liking popular things, I have come to terms with the fact that if I'm making up my own mind over whether or not I like something, why should I care if it's popular or obscure?
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

I want to sing the Hallelujah Chorus with someone. Just for fun. And I wish something like this could actually happen without planning beforehand.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Dead Cat wrote:I want to sing the Hallelujah Chorus with someone. Just for fun. And I wish something like this could actually happen without planning beforehand.
Wow, wow, wow. That is seriously one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time!

Dead Cat, I would sing the Hallelujah Chorus with you any day.
NerdGirl

Post by NerdGirl »

Wisteria wrote:You stood in lines in February, NerdGirl?
Yeah, I was really surprised by how long the lines were. It was February 2001, during the 1-week break BYU gave us so we could go see/volunteer at the Salt Lake Olympics, so maybe it was just full of people who were bored with there being nothing to watch on TV except sports.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Wisteria wrote:[A]s much as I dislike liking popular things, I have come to terms with the fact that if I'm making up my own mind over whether or not I like something, why should I care if it's popular or obscure?
A-freaking-men.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I don't dislike it because it is popular, I dislike it because I hate large crowds, get motion sickness (from an astigmatism, so medication doesn't help) and don't particularly get any enjoyment from seeing actors in cartoon character costumes, even if I like the character.
Deus ab veritas
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

NerdGirl wrote:
Wisteria wrote:You stood in lines in February, NerdGirl?
Yeah, I was really surprised by how long the lines were. It was February 2001, during the 1-week break BYU gave us so we could go see/volunteer at the Salt Lake Olympics, so maybe it was just full of people who were bored with there being nothing to watch on TV except sports.
My family totally meant to save enough money to go to Disneyland during the Olympics so we could avoid all of the everything. Looks like lots of others had the same idea.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
NerdGirl

Post by NerdGirl »

Marduk wrote:get motion sickness (from an astigmatism, so medication doesn't help)
Wait, could you tell me more about this? Because I get pretty bad motion sickness sometimes and I also have really bad astigmatism in both of my eyes, and I've never heard that those two things are connected before. That could explain a lot.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Well, as far as I know, it is just because it takes a bit longer for you to focus on things, and on amusement park rides it is much harder to find an anchor point. This causes too much variation between what you're seeing and what your inner ear is sensing, hence, motion sickness.

Edited to add a much needed "much" and hopefully it isn't about nothing.
Last edited by Marduk on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deus ab veritas
NerdGirl

Post by NerdGirl »

Very interesting.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Well, the crowds that frustrated me that night were for the Fantasmic show. I had to fight the fireworks crowd to get to the Fantasmic show, and pushing a stroller through all of that was a nightmare. But this morning it was lovely and almost empty, so we got to ride a bunch of things really quickly before catching our flight.

As for the timing, I would love to go some other time of year! The company my husband works for actually schedules this as our yearly Christmas party. So, very awesome. And I don't want to complain, but it is annoying that we go every year in a highly busy time. Oh well. My kids had a blast. They are old enough to enjoy it now, so it was quite fun to see my daughter flipping out over each character she got to meet. I love letting them wear costumes in the park - they were Woody and Jesse the first day, and then my little girl got to meet Tinkerbell dressed like Tinkerbell the next day. I mean, when you're two, you can wear whatever you want, so why not?

I am glad I have kids though. I don't know how much I would enjoy it without them. I mean, there are a few rides that are fun for adults, but 70% of the park is you on a moving object that goes past animatronics. My kids eat that up. But as an adult, I would have more fun in Cedar Point, riding really fast roller coasters.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

TheAnswerIs42 wrote:But as an adult, I would have more fun in Cedar Point, riding really fast roller coasters.
Amen. Best roller coaster park ever.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

OH MAN, I haven't been on a roller coaster in five years. How I miss it so...I think my next vacation will be planned around a city with a Six Flags park in it.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

You totally should, bigcheese! My husband and I did Cedar Point and Six Flags a few times when we were newlyweds and loved it. Once you have kids, roller coaster parks require a babysitter, and that is much tricker. So go for it while you can! Laser Jock has a point. If you can swing it, Cedar Point is outside of Cleveland, Ohio, and is amazing. You could call it a church history tour and do Kirtland the next day!