Becoming a young lady

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Re: Becoming a young lady

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I always put my hair up in a bun or braid after my shower. Though it will be all right if it dries straight, I don't like letting it do that. However, once my hair is dry I always change my hairstyle, usually to half-up pulled back with a little claw clip. I prefer having hair around my face at least a little bit.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:I always put my hair up in a bun or braid after my shower. Though it will be all right if it dries straight, I don't like letting it do that. However, once my hair is dry I always change my hairstyle, usually to half-up pulled back with a little claw clip. I prefer having hair around my face at least a little bit.
I'm really jealous a) that your hair will dry while pulled back and b) that when you let it out, it's straight enough that you can put it in a half-do. If I do anything with my hair while wet, it will stay that way. This past summer we went to Lake Powell. The day before I twisted my bangs across my head and pinned them down while wet. Then I didn't wash my hair that week. My bangs were still somewhat twisted when we came home. (I also didn't spend a whole lot of time with my head in water getting wet. I'm lame like that. But still. After a week, it held its shape!)
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Wow, DL. I'm often a little frustrated with how easily my hair loses its shape - I'd like it if waves or curls stayed in a little better. I went through about two bottles of strong hold hair spray by myself when I needed ringlets for a play!
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

i've got the WORST black people hair EVER. It's not curly, it's kinky. Unless someone else does my hair, all I can do is wear it down, ponytail, or a bun. And I have to brush it out wet or it's too tangly. And I'm tenderheaded.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Portia

Post by Portia »

Bold, deep lip color is coming back in. With our arid climate, you'll want something moisturizing, preferably with SPF. (Sunscreen is the most important cosmetic a fair-skinned woman can own!)

Orange is everywhere this season, and getting a good brand from, say, Sephora is worth the investment: doesn't chip, still looks good a week later, unlike the Wal-Mart brands. I think in cosmetics it's always worth to go for the better stuff, and just have fewer of them.

If you have blue eyes, blue and brown eyeshadow will bring that out. Purple works well for green eyes, and copper for brown.

Coco Chanel said to always remove one item of jewelry before you leave the house. Pierced ears are always a feminine way to go and could radically change your look if you don't have them.

Exfoliated skin feels great and smooth. I religiously wash my face every day. The smaller the grains, the better it feels.

I have also discovered the amazingness that is de-puffy-izers for under the eye. I have near-translucent skin, so I always have circles under my eyes, but these rollers really seem to make a difference.

H&M is always a good place to pick up cheap accessories.

The current "look" of femininity is (praise Cthulhu) nowhere near as time-intensive nor as demanding as, say, the early '60s, but I do think clothing and makeup is more girly than in the '90s. There have been lots of articles about how as the economy gets weaker, nail polish gets brighter.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

For the record, I think you're gorgeous, krebscout, and I'd take fashion and "young lady" advice from you any day of the week.

But I wasn't taught any makeup skills other than mascara, myself, and I'm sure my hygiene isn't up to many people's pars. So I can't offer you any advice of my own.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I try to wash my hair at least twice a week (or if I think it's too dry or greasy). I wear make up on weekends, and I try to avoid wearing t-shirts. That's about what I do. I'm working on eating better and exercising and getting rid of acne, but those are just personal well being things, not acting like a girl things.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Thanks for the advice, everybody. I definitely need to start wearing more sunscreen, I hadn't thought about combining them with moisturizer/tint. That'd knock out a few birds with one stone, which is just my style. I also am tinkering with the idea of repiercing my ears.

And Uffish, you're a kind lady, and I miss you.
Murcielaguita

Post by Murcielaguita »

I'm in pretty much the same boat you are. I also struggle have time/give-a-care every morning to dry or straighten my long hair.

Anyway, I've typically found that a headband and set of cute earrings (like pearl or diamond-ish studs) instantly feminizes my look. I also keep my toenails painted, though I almost never paint my fingernails.