Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Emiliana »

C is for wrote:
Fredjikrang wrote:Hah. "Beware the ides of March?" More like "Beware the ides of February!" That is the kind of advice that men need in these days.
My boyfriend last year dumped me two days before Valentine's Day. I'd made him a little bag of candy (we were about the stage of the relationship where the most I expected was flowers), but I ended up keeping it and eating it myself over the next month or so!

I think a good rule of thumb is that if you're in a relationship, you get her a little something (doesn't have to be big...but don't ask me, I've never had a Valentine). If you're only pursuing her, have something ready that could easily be explained away as something you give all your friends that are girls, like a silly valentine and a piece of chocolate.

Anyone else have opinions on this? Wait, Fredji didn't even ask for opinions. Well, I just gave him one.
I'd be interested in hearing opinions, too ... What does a woman get the man she's just started dating?! I haven't had a Valentine since I was twelve, so this is new territory for me...
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

My husband and I started dating a few weeks before Valentine's Day. He got me a whole boxes of Sudoku valentines, all addressed to me in various ways. I made him a valentine shaped like a snake and got him a box of Hello Kitty fruit snacks. Turned out I don't like Sudoku and he doesn't like fruit snacks, so he did the Sudoku and I kept the fruit snacks at his apartment and would eat them when I came over.
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

Fruit snacks are gross.

I would say something simple like that. If I were in his shoes, the best present ever would be an awesome old movie from the $5 pile at Walmart, a date and time to watch it together, and maybe you cook him something delicious.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Heh. I broke up with a certain young man who shall remain nameless the day before Valentine's...or maybe he broke it off? It really was mutual. Anyway, we carried out our Valentine's plans anyway. Which was that I gave him a wallet, which is what he needed, and we ate Subway and watched Dead Poet Society, which he had never seen.
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

I just committed Facebook genocide, and got rid of over 50 people. I have fewer than 200 friends now! And the reason I didn't get rid of more is that it would be bad form to de-friend relatives.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Craig Jessop wrote:I just committed Facebook genocide, and got rid of over 50 people. I have fewer than 200 friends now! And the reason I didn't get rid of more is that it would be bad form to de-friend relatives.
I'm always so relieved when I survive Facebook genocide.

When I like the people.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I think Craig is the only one of my F-book friends who routinely deletes people.

Also, hello again everyone. I've been spending so much time reading the bb over Marduk's shoulder that I forgot to come on here myself and type things. I'm sure you all missed me.

Also also, I was going to weigh in on the Valentine's Day thing, but was afraid of a) embarrassing Marduk and b) making everyone gag. You're welcome, everyone.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

what? No, I have Facebook purges too sometimes. I wouldn't call it genocide though...
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:I think Craig is the only one of my F-book friends who routinely deletes people.
Eh, I just don't really want people from my ward last year, or former co-workers, or kids from high school I haven't talked to in ages, or married girls I used to be friends with seeing my status updates and life. It's not like we interacted anyway.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I wonder if any elevators in "green" buildings these days implement a way to generate electricity using the same technology electric cars use in their regenerative braking systems. If a 100 kg guy gets on the elevator going down, and little wheels came out (that were retracted when the elevator's going up) and spun when the car went down, causing it to go down slightly more slowly, and the wheels were connected to a generator that made a little electricity that got stored in a battery. If a 100 kg guy drops 30 m, you might as well get some of the 29.4 kJ back that you used to get him up there in the first place. It's not a way to make net energy at all, which is impossible, but to get some back. It would effectively make the elevator more efficient.

I guess you could even say it would make a little net electricity (free from its perspective, off of your efforts) when people went up the stairs and came down the elevator.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Craig Jessop wrote:
bobtheenchantedone wrote:I think Craig is the only one of my F-book friends who routinely deletes people.
Eh, I just don't really want people from my ward last year, or former co-workers, or kids from high school I haven't talked to in ages, or married girls I used to be friends with seeing my status updates and life. It's not like we interacted anyway.
Drat, I didn't make the cut. That's all right.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

Bob, that's just because you didn't survive one of my purges a couple years ago.
Defy V

Post by Defy V »

Craig Jessop wrote:
So since I'm a married girl that you didn't used to be friends with (well, not that good of friends), is that why I made the cut? ;)
Craig Jessop wrote:I just committed Facebook genocide, and got rid of over 50 people. I have fewer than 200 friends now! And the reason I didn't get rid of more is that it would be bad form to de-friend relatives.
I do love how many of my friends are obscure relatives I've never talked to who have a vested interest in what I put on Facebook.
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

Defy V wrote:
Craig Jessop wrote:
So since I'm a married girl that you didn't used to be friends with (well, not that good of friends), is that why I made the cut? ;)
OH MY GOSH I HAD NO IDEA THIS WAS YOU, NONE AT ALL. And your statuses routinely crack me up, therefore you got special exemption status (with a few other people). But seriously, I think that everybody else we know in common is gone.
Defy V

Post by Defy V »

We still have 5 mutual friends (I would not have forgiven you if you had defriended our wonderful friend from China).

I'm flattered that you like my statuses. I try to make them different. :)
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

i'm always glad to survive your facebook purges since i enjoy your statuses.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

Defy V wrote:We still have 5 mutual friends (I would not have forgiven you if you had defriended our wonderful friend from China).
I still talk to all of them. And I would never defriend our mutual friend from China! I was Ward Mission Leader when werf got baptized, so I was there for the whole process! What a wonderful person, werf is one of my favorite people ever.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Portia

Post by Portia »

Happy BYU application deadline day! Agggggggggggh . . .
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

My dog is home!!!
beautiful, dirty, rich