Random Maids a'Milking!

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Re: Random Maids a'Milking!

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

For while in our ward the bishop's wife was the Relief Society president. Busy family.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

HEY!

Happy birthday, NerdGirl! I hope you're having a great day!!
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

TheAnswerIs42 wrote:Yeah, C4 is right. Also, it is is a big enough burden that you can't be the president of Primary or Relief Society while your husband is bishop. At least, that is what happened in our ward. Our Primary president got released when her husband became Bishop, despite only having her calling for a month or two.
Yeah...I don't know about that being official policy or anything, but they usually do that to be considerate to the family.

As for Gospel Doctrine being the scariest calling, I think it totally depends on what you're teaching. I wouldn't mind teaching Book of Mormon or D&C, but Old Testament would scare the junk out of me. New Testament would be okay...but I'm less familiar with the post-Jesus stuff.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

thebigcheese wrote:
TheAnswerIs42 wrote:Yeah, C4 is right. Also, it is is a big enough burden that you can't be the president of Primary or Relief Society while your husband is bishop. At least, that is what happened in our ward. Our Primary president got released when her husband became Bishop, despite only having her calling for a month or two.
Yeah...I don't know about that being official policy or anything, but they usually do that to be considerate to the family.
It's definitely not official policy--shortly after my homeward bishop was called, his wife was called as Stake Young Women's President. As far as I'm aware, they've handled it pretty well, and that's what counts.
Also, I remember hearing somewhere that the wife accompanies her husband in the interview to become a bishop, so while Bishop's Wife is not an official calling, per se, it is practically one.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

They take the man in alone first to make sure he's worthy. Then they invite his wife in for the extension of the call. At least that's how they do it in my stake. I have a feeling it's to the discretion of the stake president, as I can't remember reading anything about it in the handbook.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

In my home stake both spouses are always present when any calling is extended.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

C is for wrote:HEY!

Happy birthday, NerdGirl! I hope you're having a great day!!
Thank you!! :D I am having a great day. I went to institute, and then I went and got my hair highlighted and bought a new purse that will allow me to carry a reading book around with me without having to have a backpack. Yay! And I'm not going to work on my thesis at all today. Double yay!!
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Grrr. I forgot my list at home when I went grocery shopping. I remembered almost everything, except the little things that actually make a big difference. I bought the stuff for pico de gallo, BUT I FORGOT THE LIME. And I bought the stuff for chicken korma, BUT I FORGOT THE GINGER.

I guess I'll just make a quick trip again later.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

TheAnswerIs42 wrote:As for Gospel Doctrine being the scariest calling, I think it totally depends on what you're teaching. I wouldn't mind teaching Book of Mormon or D&C, but Old Testament would scare the junk out of me. New Testament would be okay...but I'm less familiar with the post-Jesus stuff.
I'm the exact opposite. In order of preference for teaching: Old Testament, New Testament, Book of Mormon, D&C. I'll be honest, D&C scares me a bit.

Unit of Energy wrote:In my home stake both spouses are always present when any calling is extended.
I don't know about every calling in my ward, but Yellow and I were both present when we were both called to be Primary teachers (which seemed completely logical) and we were both present when I was called to be Primary president. But I just assumed that both spouses are present when any of the "big" callings are extended. But maybe it is for all of them. I'm not sure, since the only callings we've gotten in this ward made sense for both of us to be there.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Ahem., I'm proud of you. Most whiteys don't even put lime in pico de gallo at all. Kudos.
Deus ab veritas
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

Marduk wrote:Ahem., I'm proud of you. Most whiteys don't even put lime in pico de gallo at all. Kudos.
Ditto to that. It makes such a difference. (Although ahem.'s awesome home state may have something to do with it...)
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Marduk wrote:Ahem., I'm proud of you. Most whiteys don't even put lime in pico de gallo at all. Kudos.
Really? All the whities I know do. Actually, maybe you can help me. I made a batch last week and it was quite good except for a bitter aftertaste that I can never seem to escape. Do I put in too much onion? I used red onion last time. How do you make yours?
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Hrmm, lessee, I usually do it to taste, but I think I can give you a basic template, and then recommend some things that may be wrong with your particular style.

The key is fresh tomatoes; I prefer beefsteak, some find these too watery and prefer romas, you can do that too, but they will be less flavorful. Use about 4 parts tomato. Then add one part white onion, (if you find these too strong, dice and soak them in cold water for about ten minutes, then strain and add them) one part green onion, and cilantro to taste. Then add the flavorings; freshly squeezed lime, (bottled is usually too bland) salt, a touch of black and cayenne pepper (optional), and garlic powder. I prefer to use powder instead of fresh garlic; that is probably what is giving you a bitter aftertaste. If you do use fresh garlic, make sure it is mashed well (the authentic way to do it, and also probably the best way to remove bitterness, would be with one of these.) One can also add diced jalapenos, I don't usually, since the salsa will be plenty spicy enough. Allow to sit for at least ten minutes before eating; this gives the flavors time to blend.

So, the other things that might be giving you a bitter aftertaste: bits of lime peel coming into the mix, this shouldn't be a problem as long as you are hand squeezing. The onions being too strong; like I said, if this is an issue, simply soak them in cold water. The garlic is too bitter: if mashing doesn't seem to solve this, you can also roast the whole cloves for a few minutes (usually in a skillet at medium high heat for 2-3 minutes) but this can also result in a sweet flavor that can be off-putting. Anyway, try these things and let me know if any of them work.
Deus ab veritas
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Warning: Fake, half-remembered science below.

I really think it is your onion's fault. First, make sure you're not just using plain yellow onions. Yech. White or red should be fine, though. Next, if you chop your onion up and let it sit for a bit before mixing everything together, it will oxidize more, giving the onion a bitter flavor. When an onion is cut, its natural defenses cause it to releases enzymes which produce sulfuric acid-y chemicals which cause the bitterness and eye irritation. So either rinse/soak it after cutting it (like Marduk suggests), or make sure you toss it in with everything very soon after chopping it up. Also, if you use a food processor or chopper, it mutilates the onion more, stimulating more of the bitter stuff. So dicing it with a knife might help a little too.

Um. Or no metal bowls, maybe? Not sure why... something to do with the acidity of the tomatoes and changing flavors.

Or you could try using kosher or sea salt instead of iodized (table) salt, which sometimes has a bitter aftertaste.

I don't add garlic to mine, so if you think that might be your problem, listen to Marduk.

But really, I think it's your onions.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

This just in: artichokes are gross.
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

I kind of feel like this is needlessly vindictive.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Something about that seems kind of illegal...
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Guys, I think I must have kicked a lot of puppy dogs or something in my previous life -- today I messed up a tendon or something in my foot, and then I kid you not, it rained in my living room.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Ouch. That doesn't sound good. And...how did it rain in your living room?
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

thebigcheese wrote:This just in: artichokes are gross.
I think you just haven't had them prepared the right way, which, granted, is tough to do.
Deus ab veritas