#51628 Briggs-Meyers Personality Test

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

vorpal blade

#51628 Briggs-Meyers Personality Test

Post by vorpal blade »

Kirĸe asked this question.

I thought it might be interesting to compare the results of the MBTI with the results of the Political Compass test. I have the following data for those Board writers who took both tests:

Black Sheep, ENFJ, -5.5, -4.16
Waldorf, ENFJ, -5.0, 0.2
Cuddlefish, ISTJ, -3.75, -1.95
Hermia, ISTJ, -3.50, -1.28
Whistler, INTJ, -3.25, -3.95, red
habiba, INTJ, -3.25, -2.26, red, blue
Laser Jock, INTJ, -1.62, -0.77, solid, red
CPM, INTJ, -0.13, -1.18
Kirĸe, INTJ, 6.88, -0.51, distinct INTJ
Tao, ENTJ, 0.0, 0.21
Claudio, INFJ, 0.38, -1.95
Cognoscente, INFJ, 3.38, -2.05, really blue

The point on the political compass for Waldorf comes from the chart posted by Whistler for Waldorf and Sauron.

It is interesting that you can go left to right on the political compass and find that the ENFJs as the two left-most writers. the two ISTJs are the second left-most writers, the INTJs are next with Kirĸe as an anomaly, then next comes Tao as the only ENTJ, and finally the two most right-wing writers (with the exception of Kirĸe) are the two INFJs.

Probably there is insufficient data here to make a strong correlation of personality type and political orientation, but it does make me wonder.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

If you want another data point, I was an INFP when we took the official Briggs-Meyers test in RA class, and my score on the Political Compass is usually around -5,-5.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

One problem, though, is that the data point on the political chart was actually for Sauron only. I didn't take it this round, though I've taken it before and I was pretty central (I think I may have been a little on the left, but not nearly as far as Sauron).

-Waldorf
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

NerdGirl wrote:If you want another data point, I was an INFP when we took the official Briggs-Meyers test in RA class, and my score on the Political Compass is usually around -5,-5.
Thanks for the input. For some reason all the Board writers are a "J," so you don't strictly fit in one of the groups I already plotted. However, they say that "NF"s are somewhat alike and they differ from the "NT"s by quite a bit. The NFs I plotted are either at one extreme (left) or the other (right). And you seem to be on the far left.

What is the RA class?
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

krebscout wrote:One problem, though, is that the data point on the political chart was actually for Sauron only. I didn't take it this round, though I've taken it before and I was pretty central (I think I may have been a little on the left, but not nearly as far as Sauron).

-Waldorf
So, I've got the political chart for Sauron, and the Briggs-Meyers result for Waldorf? I was afraid that might happen. Thanks for the clarification, but your being more in the middle right-to-left does weaken my theory. Any idea what Sauron is in terms of Briggs-Meyers?
Waldorf and Sauron

Post by Waldorf and Sauron »

I'm an INTJ, 22-50-1-11. It might be interesting to look at how each dimension of the Briggs-Myers correlates. In fact, it seems so interesting and doable that I did a search to find if it had already been done.

And...
http://jeffreyellis.org/blog/?p=173
...very interesting.

-Sauron
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

vorpal blade wrote: What is the RA class?
I used to be an RA (resident assistant) in Deseret Towers back when it still existed. We all had to take this student development class for RAs that met twice a week. It covered a very wide variety of topics, but part of it was a series of presentations about various services available on campus. At one point we had a presentation from the Counseling and Career Center and we all got to take the Briggs-Myers test. It was actually a pretty interesting class most of the time.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Waldorf and Sauron wrote:I'm an INTJ, 22-50-1-11. It might be interesting to look at how each dimension of the Briggs-Myers correlates. In fact, it seems so interesting and doable that I did a search to find if it had already been done.

And...
http://jeffreyellis.org/blog/?p=173
...very interesting.

-Sauron
Very interesting. I'm still digesting the information in the article that Jeffrey Ellis references.

You are something of an anomaly, Sauron. You score second most to the left on the political compass, of all the Board writers, yet you are a Republican? You are further to the left than any other INTJ on the Board.

Do you realize that out of the 13 Board writers for which I have data, six of you are of the rare type INTJ?

I also turn out to be an INTJ using the test referred to in this question.

I think it would be interesting to examine some MBTI questions which we as LDS may interpret in a somewhat peculiar manner.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

I wonder if we might not be conditioned by the teachings of our Church for some questions typically asked in the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator(http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp). For example:

8. “Strict observance of the established rules is likely to prevent a good outcome”

It would seem that if we interpret “rules” to mean the commandments, or the teachings of the Church, then you would have to answer “no.”

11. “You often think about humankind and its destiny”

If you go to Church often, how can you not think about it?

12. “You believe the best decision is one that can be easily changed”

The best decision would be an inspired decision, would it not, and therefore not easily changed?

15. “You trust reason rather than feelings”

This seems to be an important question to differentiate between thinkers and feelers. Yet if you read this question thinking about feelings that come from the Holy Ghost, about faith that supersedes rational understanding, you might answer “no.” I think, though, that the question refers to “emotions” rather than promptings of the Spirit, so you could answer “yes” and not deny your testimony.

19. “Your actions are frequently influenced by emotions”

What emotions are you thinking about? Shouldn’t all your actions be motivated by love of God and your fellowman? Aren’t “love” and “compassion” emotions?

22. “You readily help people while asking nothing in return”

Because you’ve made commitments to worship in the temple and serve in the Church?

26. “You easily see the general principle behind specific occurrences”

Because the Church has taught you a way of looking at things from an eternal perspective?

28. “You find it difficult to speak loudly”

Or, you used to, until they called you to be the scoutmaster in your ward.

29. “You get bored if you have to read theoretical books”

Sorry, that’s theoretical, not theological, books. This could go either way…..

30. “You tend to sympathize with other people”

Didn’t your mission experience teach you something?

31. “You value justice higher than mercy”

The scripture comes to mind, “What, do ye suppose that mercy can rob justice? I say unto you, Nay; not one whit. If so, God would cease to be God.” So, you might answer this as “yes” because that is what you believe is of higher value. I wonder how many LDS answer this as “no” because mercy is a special gift we can’t earn, so therefore of higher value?

33. “The more people with whom you speak, the better you feel”

Well, if you just got off your mission the answer might more often be “yes.”

54. “You try to stand firmly by your principles”

I don’t know how a person who considers himself a good member of the Church could answer “no.”

58. “You consider the scientific approach to be the best”

Well, that might depend on whether you consider the Lord’s approach to finding truth as scientific.

60. “You often spend time thinking of how things could be improved”

That might be a requirement for magnifying your calling in the Church.

61. “Your decisions are based more on the feelings of a moment than on the careful planning”

If you live your life by following the promptings of the Spirit then that might be true in ways the authors of the question don’t understand.

63. “You feel more comfortable sticking to conventional ways”

Like following the prophets?
Tao

Post by Tao »

I think it still comes very much down to the individual and the light in which they look at the statement. For example:

8. “Strict observance of the established rules is likely to prevent a good outcome”

It would seem that if we interpret “rules” to mean the commandments, or the teachings of the Church, then you would have to answer “no.”

Yet the strictness of their observance of the Law is a major factor in the Jews missing Christ. I rather like Scott Card's elaboration of the parable of the woman taken in adultery, the extremes can each be a form of failure.

11. “You often think about humankind and its destiny”

If you go to Church often, how can you not think about it?

Yet at the same time the Church teaches against predestination.

12. “You believe the best decision is one that can be easily changed”

The best decision would be an inspired decision, would it not, and therefore not easily changed?

And yet at the same time even inspired decisions are subject to revocation and change as easily as they came in the first place, according to Truman Madsen Joseph had the gift to be able to forsake previous understandings of revelation at the receipt of new. Hyrum struggled to so do.

15. “You trust reason rather than feelings”

This seems to be an important question to differentiate between thinkers and feelers. Yet if you read this question thinking about feelings that come from the Holy Ghost, about faith that supersedes rational understanding, you might answer “no.” I think, though, that the question refers to “emotions” rather than promptings of the Spirit, so you could answer “yes” and not deny your testimony.

Holy Ghost speaks to both mind and heart, so even speaking of promptings one is not preferred over another.

19. “Your actions are frequently influenced by emotions”

What emotions are you thinking about? Shouldn’t all your actions be motivated by love of God and your fellowman? Aren’t “love” and “compassion” emotions?

As are anger lust and hatred. Does a man living devoid of emotion run contrary to the teachings of the church?

22. “You readily help people while asking nothing in return”

Because you’ve made commitments to worship in the temple and serve in the Church?

If I give assistance due to my covenants and the blessings they promise, could I not be fulfilling the commandments, yet be asking for something in return?

26. “You easily see the general principle behind specific occurrences”

Because the Church has taught you a way of looking at things from an eternal perspective?

ehhh... or you could be thinking of your math classes when you read this and remembered how difficult it was to grasp the principles behind all the word problems.

29. “You get bored if you have to read theoretical books”

I personally find it easy to get bored if I have to read anything. Let me choose to read the same material and you may have difficulties pulling me away.

31. “You value justice higher than mercy”

The scripture comes to mind, “What, do ye suppose that mercy can rob justice? I say unto you, Nay; not one whit. If so, God would cease to be God.” So, you might answer this as “yes” because that is what you believe is of higher value. I wonder how many LDS answer this as “no” because mercy is a special gift we can’t earn, so therefore of higher value?

33. “The more people with whom you speak, the better you feel”

Well, if you just got off your mission the answer might more often be “yes.”

Or it might as well be then that the answer comes as the strongest "no".

54. “You try to stand firmly by your principles”

I don’t know how a person who considers himself a good member of the Church could answer “no.”

Again, back to the stiffneckedness of our forefathers, on some days 'trying to stand firmly by your principles' equates to 'blind bullheadedness' in my mind, and I'll answer no in a heartbeat.

58. “You consider the scientific approach to be the best”

Well, that might depend on whether you consider the Lord’s approach to finding truth as scientific.

The biggest issue I had with this question was the 'best' part. Best for what? When? Under what circumstances?

63. “You feel more comfortable sticking to conventional ways”

Like following the prophets?

Or stoning them, depending on what convention you happen to be following.

You can see why I don't do so well on these tests.
He who knows others is clever;
He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Thanks for taking the time to give me your perspective on these questions, Tao. Very interesting and helpful to me.

I also don't do well with these kinds of tests. I remember once taking a personality test where the question was asked, "Do you take a long time to make up your mind?" I immediately answered "no." Then the question came to mind, "Why do your parents and brothers and sisters tease you about taking a long time to make up your mind?" I answered myself that some of them make snap judgments, and I like to give just a little thought to the situation. But not really a long time. Then I asked myself, "Aren't you just fooling yourself? You don't want to appear indecisive, so you say you don't take a long time to make up your mind, but don't you really take quite a while?" So I continued to debate the issue with myself. Eventually I thought, "This is silly. If it takes you this long to decide whether or not you take a long time to make up your mind, then you obviously do take a long time to make up your mind." I thought about it some more, and finally changed my answer to "yes."
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I'm glad we can be flexible about our interpretations of language, which in itself is flawed.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

The mere fact that Tao can give a reasonable LDS interpretation to answer the questions either way gives me hope that the MBTI actually measures something useful and non-transient about a person that doesn't come from Church training.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

According to the data Sauron pointed us to, the biggest personality type factor in determining whether you are Republican or Democrat is whether you are a Thinking (T) type or a Feeling (F) type. The reasoning goes like this
"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains." - Sir Winston Churchill

"Conservatives saw the savagery of 9/11 in the attacks and prepared for war; liberals saw the savagery of the 9/11 attacks and wanted to prepare indictments and offer therapy and understanding for our attackers." - Karl Rove

From a psychological type perspective, both quotes seem to comment on type preferences for Thinking and Feeling. For example, Thinking types often are stereotyped as making decisions with their "head" and Feeling types are stereotyped as making decisions with their "heart". Consider the common characteristics of the Thinking type: rational, logical, impersonal, critical, analytical. Now consider the common characteristics of the Feeling type: personal, relationships oriented, seeks harmony, sympathetic.
I find it interesting that many people might have chosen their political affiliation according to their personality, rather than on objective criteria of what is best for the nation.
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

So democrats are tree hugging hippies and republicans are over brazen war hawks now?
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:So democrats are tree hugging hippies and republicans are over brazen war hawks now?
According to the study previously cited (http://www.politicaltypes.com/content/view/24/56/), certain personality factors make you more inclined to be a Democrat. Being a Feeling type instead of a Thinking type is one of them. Being an iNtuitive type rather than a Sensing type is another. Or being a Perceiving type rather than a Judging type. The same data seems to indicate that being an Introvert rather than an Extrovert also plays an influence. See the article for a brief explanation of what these personality factors mean.

Or... according to a news report that came out three days ago, you might be liberal because you have a liberal gene! In an article entitled "Your Political Opinions Might be Genetic," a UCSD professor found an interesting correlation. See http://www.kpbs.org/news/2009/may/05/yo ... e-genetic/
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:So democrats are tree hugging hippies and republicans are over brazen war hawks now?
i resent that sir. i have never hugged a tree in my life.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Tao

Post by Tao »

I, on the other hand, have.

Bark hurts.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

My high school friends have photos of me kissing trees. Well, sucking on them. But that's a different story.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Come to think of it, I've climbed a lot of trees in my life and in so doing I've hugged a lot of trees. I agree, sometimes bark hurts.

I draw the line before I get to sucking on trees, though.

I did have a wooden whistle, which wouldn't whistle, if you remember the rhyme.