Must-hear Soundtracks

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Damasta

Must-hear Soundtracks

Post by Damasta »

To add to the Board Writers' lists:

By John Barry:
  • Dances with Wolves
    High Road to China
    Out of Africa
    Somewhere in Time
By Peter Best: Crocodile Dundee

By Don Davis:
  • The Matrix
    The Matrix: Reloaded
    The Matrix: Revolutions

(be sure to listen to the movie scores, not the soundtracks)
By Danny Elfman: Edward Scissorhands

By Dave Grusin: On Golden Pond

By Hagood Hardy: Anne of Green Gables

By James Horner:
  • Apollo 13
    A Beautiful Mind
    Glory
    The Mask of Zorro
    The Rocketeer
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    (yeah, really)
    Willow
By Steve Jablonsky: The Island

By Maurice Jarre:
  • Lawrence of Arabia
    Dr. Zhivago
By Mark Knopfler: The Princess Bride

By Henry Mancini:
  • Breakfast at Tiffany's
    Hatari!
    The Pink Panther
By Bear McCreary: Battlestar Galactica (especially Season One)

By Trevor Rabin: Armageddon

By Nino Rota:
  • The Godfather
    Romeo and Juliette
By Bruce Rowland:
  • The Man from Snowy River
    Return to Snowy River
By Max Steiner: Gone with the Wind

By John Williams (Holy crap! How is it that none of them mentioned a single John Williams soundtrack?)
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    Harry Potter
    —he did the first three
    Hook
    Indiana Jones
    —especially Raiders and The Last Crusade
    Jaws
    Jurassic Park
    The Patriot
    Schindler's List
    Star Wars
    —especially the Original Trilogy
    Superman
Oh, and Alan Menken's Disney soundtracks.

Also, here is a list of the top soundtracks as determined by the American Film Institute (and note that the glaring omission by the writers topped their list). And here are the Academy Awards (Oscars) for Best Musical Score.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

oh man, it's Nino Rota who did the Godfather? I'm so embarrassed for saying it was Mancini...
Waldorf and Sauron

Post by Waldorf and Sauron »

Damasta,

First of all the AFI lists are silly. They have opinions, but by no means are they the vanguard of American film history and criticism.

Second, I'm not a big fan of John Williams' scores. Yes, they're iconic and functional, but they're usually utterly generic and predictable, unless he's ripping off another piece of music (Duel of the Fates, and Carmina Burana, anyone? Or the first scene of Jaws and Stravinsky's Firebird Suite?). John Williams is the most reliable and least exciting figure in film music today. He follows all the rules, all the time, and he overbearingly hammers his leitmotifs—as my film music teacher quipped regarding the latest Indiana Jones, why do we have to hear Indy's theme music when he's brushing his teeth?

I've overstated it, and don't mean to discount William's life work in a little condescending tirade... I just mean to hint at why Williams is maybe not in our unorganized pantheon of film composer gods.
Damasta

Post by Damasta »

Sauron,

The person who asked the question asked for soundtrack recommendations, not a reliable source for film history and criticism. And for that, the AFI lists aren't necessarily a bad place to start. But since you brought it up, I'll agree that the AFI lists aren't definitive. Heck, look how many changes there were between their 1998 Top 100 movies and the 2007 list! But I wouldn't go so far as to say that they are laughable. I certainly haven't liked all of the films from the list which I've seen, but some of them are truly incredible. And let's not pretend that many of the entries in a top 100 list compiled by a discriminating film critic (like this one) or pretentious college professor wouldn't be abstruse and inaccessible to the general viewer (but, then, Citizen Kane topped the AFI list).

Let me share a little non-film example that comes to mind. My wife doesn't like Hershey's chocolates. She says they're too waxy. I like them just fine. She likes European chocolates. I can eat those too, but the difference to me isn't worth the extra expense. No problem. Does she have superior taste than me? No! A resounding No!. Despite one of the subtexts of Babette's Feast, NO! Such a statement supposes that she is able to derive more pleasure from her chocolates than I am from mine. That's ridiculous. That's a fantasy and a fallacy. I love chocolate just as much as she does, I'm just not as picky. That doesn't make her taste in chocolate superior. The only difference is that she pretends she likes hers more because she doesn't like mine.

Bringing it back to film, I know people who enjoyed Talladega Nights way more than some film majors I've known enjoyed Eisenstein's Strike (which I, personally, liked). "Refined" taste is just a pretension, an opportunity for those who have a more elitist or esoteric approach to belittle or disdain those who don't. It's not refined, just restricted. That's not to say that their tastes aren't perfectly legitimate. They are. But they're not better or worse than anyone else's. They're just uniquely theirs, and nothing more. What does this have to do with the AFI list? Well, there are films that matter and films that don't. There seems to exist among "the cultured" an erroneous dichotomous key to determine whether something is meritorious:
  • 1. Is it popular?
    • Yes, it is popular..........................................................................................The film (book, chocolate, &c.) is not meritorious.
      No, it is not popular.....................................................................................Proceed to Question #2
    2. Does it have artistic value?
    • Yes, it has artistic value..............................................................................The film (book, chocolate, &c.) is meritorious.
      No, it has no artistic value...........................................................................The film (book, chocolate, &c.) is not meritorious.
Do you see the disconnect? #2 is a relevant question; #1 is not (and certainly doesn't belong before #2). The popularity of a film should have no bearing on a judgment of its artistic value. But there are some (I won't accuse you, since I don't know you) that follow exactly that flawed logic. In truth, a great work of art (in any medium) has to appeal to both the educated critics/fellow artists and the masses. Whether a creative work matters or not ultimately comes down to two things: Was it the first? and/or Does it endure? Rather than choose sides (esoteric, artistic, high-brow films vs. exoteric, escapist, low-brow blockbusters), the AFI seems to have tried to determine which films will endure, not just which ones will appease those of a certain sensitivity. They're certainly not batting 100% (who could?), but what they're trying to do—distill the the vast numbers of films down to a digestible number of films which matter most—isn't silly. Certainly not as silly as you writers doing it for an obscure Q&A website...or me for doing it on the message board of said obscure Q&A website. :wink:

Moving on to John Williams. I see why you didn't mention John Williams (but that doesn't explain the other writers, most or all of whom are not film majors, didn't*). Did you come up with that evaluation on your own? Or are you regurgitating (ripping off?) what your film teachers have opined before you? If you did it on your own, kudos and I hope I didn't offend by implying that you hadn't. But I've heard Dean Duncan express a similar sentiment, so I had to ask. Don't get me wrong, Dean's a great guy and I learned a lot from him. But even after his instruction, I was perfectly capable of enjoying a film that left him wringing his hands because of the lighting, or the acting, because it was sci-fi instead of "realist", &c. And I'm still capable of enjoying John Williams' music even though it makes Dean roll his eyes.

I have to disagree that Williams has "ripped off" his music. It's easy to see (hear) a similarity between two works and immediately conclude that it's a plagiarism, a rip-off, a derivative, or a pastiche. Maybe (sometimes) it is. But I tend to see it as a nod, a reference, an homage, an influence, an inspiration, or a tribute. Vanilla Ice's "Ice, Ice Baby" is a rip-off of "Under Pressure" by Queen and David Bowie. "Ghostbusters" by Ray Parker, Jr. is a rip-off of "I Want a New Drug" by Huey Lewis and the News. John Williams' music? Not necessarily. At least not so blatantly. Sometimes he was constrained by the directors he was working with to model his score after the temp tracks they were using (e.g. the musical motif for Tatooine is drawn from Stravinsky's Rite of Spring).

Of course, they say the same thing about Star Wars the film—it's derived from Kurosawa's A Hidden Fortress (certainly not his best), Fritz Lang's Metropolis (ditto), and David Lynch's Dune (ditto again). But when I realized that Luke discovering his dead aunt and uncle was inspired by John Ford's The Searchers I got chills. Just like I got chills the first time I picked up on Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake in "The Imperial March" (Darth Vader's Theme). And the only scores that are heavy on leitmotif are the ones that intend to evoke a mythology (akin to film's use of archetypes). But then, the reader didn't ask for soundtracks that were effective in the context of the film, they wanted something to listen to. So if they listened to Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, they'd have no idea what Indy was doing in the movie at that moment.

I own several hundred soundtracks (I only mentioned what I consider the crème de la crème in my first post) and I've listened to several hundred more which I decline to own. That doesn't make me an "expert", but I'm certainly not lacking in breadth. There are scores John Williams has done which I enjoy, but I don't think merit a mention in the recommendation list (i.e. Heidi, How to Steal a Million, The River, Jane Eyre, The Reivers, The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing, The Eiger Sanction, and The Fury). And, truth be told, not everything John Williams has written was great. Penelope, Not with My Wife You Don't!, The Poseidon Adventure, Sugarland Express, 1941, Heartbeeps,, &c. were rather droll and unmemorable. But since Whistler mentioned Philip Glass—has he done a single soundtrack that doesn't feature the same minimalist three-note passacaglia? (The Truman Show excepted since it's mostly a sampling of other Glass scores compiled by Burkhard Dallwitz). (Another aside: I prefer his scores to Candyman and Mishima over anything else he's done). Or: is there anything by James Horner that doesn't feature the dramatic clashing of bells? Does anyone else notice that Hans Zimmer's Pirates of the Caribbean is derived from his Gladiator score? And (to be fair) John Williams' Harry Potter themes sound an awful lot like the Schindler's List them. I could go on, but I think you see the point.

I hope I haven't deprecated your lack of enthusiasm for John Williams. You don't like him? That's totally okay. No skin off my back. And, when we get right down to it, probably none off yours, either. But please don't approach me (or anyone, for that matter) with the mistaken idea that because I happen to like something that is popular that it must be the result of mindless groupthink. Or that because a work of art appeals to the "common people" that the author must be a hack. The greatest hack that ever lived is still taught in high schools and universities all over the world (Shakespeare). There is beauty and artistic merit in John Williams' music. You may not see it. Perhaps that's a choice. I do see it. Ultimately, there's no such thing (when it comes to art, music, film, food, &c.) as "good taste" or "bad taste". There's just "your taste" and "my taste" and so on.

*After looking at the list a little more carefully, I notice that Humble Master recommended Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (by John Williams) and Sky Bones recommended Memoirs of a Geisha (by John Williams). Mea culpa and my apologies.
Waldorf and Sauron

Damasta,

I think you must have misunderstood me, friend. I was trying to say that just because it's on AFI's list doesn't automatically make it THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST EVER — I thought you were implying that we had done some great sin by disagreeing with AFI. I think appealing to anybody's list for what you should like is silly; I only mentioned AFI because that was the list you mentioned. Film criticism is not about consensus, it's about the interaction of different tastes, opinions, and reactions. I do think we agree on that. I think the AFI lists are silly because they claim objectivity on a matter of opinion. I mean, how can you say that Citizen Kane's greatness exceeds that of the Godfather—I'm not saying the Godfather is better, I'm saying they're apples and oranges... no, they're Santa and a hot bath. Lists are fine, I just dislike the way most are presented.

I credited the Indiana Jones brushing his teeth comment to Dean, but the rest of the thoughts were mine. Don't worry, I'm perfectly capable of disagreeing with my professors and do so often.

I think Williams is a little less pastiche and a little more copy than Star Wars. Absolutely, Star Wars has roots in the works you mentioned (minus Lynch's 1984 film adaptation of Dune — you probably meant the book), as well as other Kurosawa films (Sanjuro, for instance), Westerns, eastern religion, and the whole of science fiction, and more. And, to an extent, everything is an amalgamations of influences. But does it get on my nerves that William's most unique-sounding work turns out to be cribbed directly from other music, without (in my opinion) anything added to it. I definitely think that the original Star Wars scores are the best of William's work (and good in their own right), and as I said, I was a bit too hard on him. But I never said he's "without merit." I said he's generic and predictable — the same could be said of Mozart, who became an undisputed master of the established forms of the time. Sure, Williams is a master — I just find him... pretty boring most of the time. Vanilla ice cream has merit — it's just not my cup of tea when there's something more interesting to be had elsewhere. Which is why I listen to music I prefer and you listen to music you prefer — you have hundreds of movie soundtracks, and I don't. A friend of mine once said, "I just realized I have amazing taste, because everything I like is awesome." I do think there is such a thing as "good taste" and "bad taste," but I don't think it applies to this conversation - as you said, it's simply between my taste and yours, and that's okay.

I don't know where you got the idea that I think popular art is only made by hacks. Pop culture is one of my main research interests, and Star Wars are among my favorite movies — even the prequels.

Regarding
don't approach me (or anyone, for that matter) with the mistaken idea that because I happen to like something that is popular that it must be the result of mindless groupthink
I only charged mindless groupthink because you made this dig:
here is a list of the top soundtracks as determined by the American Film Institute (and note that the glaring omission by the writers topped their list)
and to me that sounded a little bit too close to the sorts of people who hang out at Rotten Tomatoes and write "I hope you die, you hack" responses to critics who disagree with the "critical consensus."
For example, click here to see user comments on a negative review of Up from Stephanie Zacharak at salon.com. (BTW, waldorf and I both think Up is fantastic). That's the sort of vibe that I got from your post. At the beginning of this post, I said that you misunderstood me; I guess I also misunderstood you.

Thanks for the good discussion. I hope nothing I've said here came across as condescending or mean-spirited, because it certainly wasn't meant that way. I like to throw around ideas, and nothing is meant personally.
Damasta

Post by Damasta »

Sauron,

My apologies. I drafted my response several times and each time toned down my aggressive and accusative language. Looks like I should've given it at least one more round of editing. I knew it sounded like I was accusing you of more than I had grounds to, but I guess some of that still slipped through. Again, my apologies. And you have my admiration for throwing water, instead of gasoline, on the fire.

I guess I could've worded my "dig" better, too. It wasn't my intention to imply that the Board writers were at fault for disagreeing with the AFI. I doubt any of them wrote their suggestions in defiance of the AFI; they probably didn't even consider the AFI when composing their post. And I bet several of them, if asked, would say, "Oh, yeah. And Star Wars." I was just surprised that, given how iconic (to borrow your word) the Star Wars musical score is that it didn't occur to any of the respondents to mention it. I cited AFI as an example that there's a general consensus that it's a great body of music. And, like you, I certainly wouldn't base my personal preferences on what the AFI recommends. But a list like theirs isn't a bad place to start.

You're right. I meant Frank Herbert's Dune, not Lynch's film. I'm afraid I didn't do my homework and I was unaware that Dune (the film) was produced after Star Wars. But since we're on the topic, Isaac Asimov's Foundation series may have been an inspiration for the Galactic Empire and the city-planet Coruscant (the analog in the books is called Trantor).

Just as an aside, I just finished listening to John Williams' score for The Accidental Tourist while I was writing this, and I don't think I'll be buying a copy.

So to wrap up, this thread is supposed to be for recommending more soundtracks/scores, not debating whether one or another actually has merit, so I'll add two more:

The Italian Job by John Powell

Pleasantville by Randy Newman (the score, not the soundtrack, even though I like Fiona Apple's rendition of Across the Universe)

P.S. As a demonstration of contrition on my part, as much as genuine curiosity, would you be willing to enumerate which modern film composers do impress you?
Waldorf and Sauron

Damasta,

No worries.

To me, the most interesting soundtracks are not traditional classical soundtracks, but carefully-picked pop and rock soundtracks. But, as far as modern film composers go (and I'll use the term "modern" a little loosely), I like Bernard Hermann (especially at his most bombastic), Ennio Morricone, Randy Newman, Mark Mothersbaugh, Yann Tierson, Danny Elfman (sometimes), & Jon Brion. I was also blown away by Michel Legrand's score for The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.

Admittedly, I don't have the breadth of soundtrack experience that you do.

And though I don't remember the soundtrack to The Island at all, because you mentioned it on your list, last night I dreamt I was watching The Island, and I was thinking "wow this soundtrack really does rule!.... too bad about the rest of the movie." The music in my dreams is always the best I've ever heard.

Also regarding your list, I can't stand the synthesized score to the princess bride.
Damasta

Post by Damasta »

Dear Sauron,

Yeah, The Princess Bride seems to be one of those love-it-or-hate-it scores. And I think the same thing goes for the film itself.

That's pretty hilarious that you dreamed awesome music. Now you just need to remember it long enough to= compose it when you wake up!

The composers I'm not too familiar with on your list: Mothersbaugh, Tierson, Brion, and Legrand. I'll have to listen to more of their stuff. Thanks for recommending them!
sqrt(-1)

Post by sqrt(-1) »

Hi all. Long time no see. This is Gio. I semi-got rid of my account for the Board Board, but I was wondering: If you could recommend two (2) soundtracks for me to listen to, which two (2) would you pick? I got a $25 gift card for iTunes, and I need good book reading/study music. Or, if you'd rather, you can recommend 20 individual songs for me to listen to. Let me know which ones are best.

Thanks, kids.

Gio
woe me
Tao

Post by Tao »

While it doesn't help with your gift card situation, I just re-rediscovered OcReMix. That is, if it fits your fancy to study to Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy...
He who knows others is clever;
He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4
sqrt(-1)

Post by sqrt(-1) »

That's. AWESOME. Love it. Wow.
woe me
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

I know almost nothing about great soundtracks (gaping hole in my music literacy?), but I do have a song that kind of sounds like it's from a soundtrack...

Listen to the 30-second snippet on iTunes and see what you think. It's Called "The 'Disarm' Suite" by Sarah Slean.

Other than that, I would pick the top-mentioned from the question (and this thread). Very scientific, I know.

Sure miss you around, Signore Schwartz!

(I also love that you signed off with "kids." I do that all the time with people in the next cohort up.)
Damasta

Post by Damasta »

sqrt(-1) wrote:Hi all. Long time no see. This is Gio. I semi-got rid of my account for the Board Board, but I was wondering: If you could recommend two (2) soundtracks for me to listen to, which two (2) would you pick? I got a $25 gift card for iTunes, and I need good book reading/study music. Or, if you'd rather, you can recommend 20 individual songs for me to listen to. Let me know which ones are best.

Thanks, kids.

Gio
A little more information would be helpful. Would you rather have music that is mellow so that it doesn't distract you, or can you handle music that sometimes gets loud and bombastic? If you're familiar with the movie/tv show/game that the music was originally written for will that distract you from your reading, or will that not matter?

Also, you should check out "trailer music" on YouTube.
sqrt(-1)

Post by sqrt(-1) »

Bombastic doesn't bother me. Neither does stuff I already know.

To give you an idea of what I like to listen to, currently, my favorite soundtracks are The Lord of the Rings (specifically Fellowship, because it's the only one on my iPod currently), the Pirates of the Caribbean, and the Chronicles of Narnia. The Star Wars music is okay as well, but it's not, generally, my favorite CD to listen to.

That list is in order of which CDs I like most.
woe me
Damasta

Post by Damasta »

sqrt(-1) wrote:To give you an idea of what I like to listen to, currently, my favorite soundtracks are The Lord of the Rings (specifically Fellowship, because it's the only one on my iPod currently), the Pirates of the Caribbean, and the Chronicles of Narnia. The Star Wars music is okay as well, but it's not, generally, my favorite CD to listen to.
It looks like you favor grandiose, epic scores. The top ones not in your list are probably: Braveheart, Gladiator, Halo (the videogames) and Last of the Mohicans. You might try Maurice Jarre's scores. They're grandiose but can be a bit repetitive. There's some good stuff in the Snowy River soundtracks. John Horner's Willow might fit that bill, though it's a bit old. You might be surprised by Ennio Morricone's The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. John Barry's scores are pretty good, but might be too mellow for you. The Matrix scores and Steve Jablonsky's The Island are epic, too, but not quite in the same way as the items in your list. I also like the Battlestar Galactica soundtracks, Armageddon, and Sunshine, but a lot of it is functional, not awesome.

Even though you don't favor Star Wars as much, you might still enjoy John Williams' Harry Potter soundtracks.

If you want to sample these before committing to buy them, you can check most (if not all) of them out from the Orem Public Library.

P.S. Are your Lord of the Rings soundtracks the original releases or the more recent "complete recordings"?
I am Ellipsissy...
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I can definitely second Damasta's recommendations of Braveheart and Harry Potter. I haven't listened to the other ones, but I frequently listen to those two while I'm studying.
sqrt(-1)

Post by sqrt(-1) »

I'm pretty sure the Lord of the Rings soundtracks are the originals. As in, we've had them since the movies came out. John Williams... I dunno, his music has great, catchy, genius, repetitive, melodies. Part of the reason I like the LotR ones is that they have several different melodies that are all used a lot, but they are used in different contexts (for example: as I was watching Return of the King yesterday [hooray for not being back in school yet!] I noticed that Howard Shore had taken one of his melodies and put it in a different time signature. [I think it started in six and went to five? Not sure] But that's kind of what I like about it. You know what I mean?)

Anyway, I think I'll give Braveheart a try, and see what I think. I've heard it has good music in the past, actually, but I forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me of that one! I'll have to check out the others you recommended to. Heck, I'll probably check out ALL of the ones you recommended.

Thanks Damasta! And NerdGirl! And Tao!
woe me
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Oh gosh, soundtracks. I like Fantastic Mr. Fox, and recently the Sherlock Holmes soundtrack (it's Zimmer), and The Painted Veil, and Pan's Labyrinth... I could go on. I think we talked about this before.
sqrt(-1)

Post by sqrt(-1) »

Alright: Game time.

Everyone who cares.

What are your top 3 soundtracks. Ever. Preferably available on iTunes. Excluded from your choices: Pirates of the Caribbean, Chronicles of Narnia, Braveheart, and The Lord of the Rings. Oh, and John Williams.

I'm going to take each person's choices in a week (or before, if I get impatient). First place votes get 5 points, second place gets 3, and third place gets 1. You can designate one tie, and have 4-4-1 or 5-2-2. Heck, you can distribute your points any way you want. But you only get 9, and you only get 3 choices. I look forward to seeing what everyone says.
woe me
Darth Fedora

Post by Darth Fedora »

You might like the 2009 Star Trek soundtrack. It actually reminded me of Pirates a lot.
Umm, but some of my favorite soundtracks ever that haven't been listed yet (or maybe they have, I didn't read the whole thread) are the Darjeeling Limited soundtrack and Leonard Bernstein's 1998 opera recording of West Side Story. It's kind of a bizarre interpretation at times, but super awesome.