#52458 Smart women at home

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

vorpal blade

#52458 Smart women at home

Post by vorpal blade »

I thought Kirke, The Black Sheep, Foreman, Wadorf (and Sauron), and habiba all gave great answers to this question. I also was impressed by Motorcycle Mama's thoughtful comment today.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I also really enjoyed all of the responses. My own mother may not be the best at remembering enough math to help out her high school students, but the things she's taught us about sewing, cooking, smocking, crafts in general, having a good party... and then she also is a good example by exercising regularly and using her writing and singing talents. And she takes time to go to every concert, play, and performance possible. And she's involved in Scouting alongside my father and helps with the high school choir.

Honestly, I think most mothers are grossly under appreciated.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Yeah, I liked all the of the responses too. Whenever I finally manage to get married and have kids, I would really like to stay home with them unless I absolutely have to work to feed my family. Of course, I would most likely end up teaching part-time at a community college, which is a pretty flexible job that would leave me with plenty of time with my kids, so I'm not too worried about that.

My mom stayed home with us after a 15 year career teaching microbiology and clinical lab science at a medical school. I grew up thinking that she could do anything - she cooked everything from scratch including bread (and she now makes home-made rice bread now that my parents and I can't eat gluten), she sewed, she knitted (she can even crochet - I can't crochet!), she tried to take us swimming (we were both terrified of water, but I got over that eventually), she read to us and played with us all the time, she knew about science and math, she painted, she played the piano and organ, she helped us with school work - not only with facts, but with learning how to learn. She still does most of these things. And she didn't do all that stuff in some kind of stressed-out super-mom way. We were always there with her, helping her and learning from her, and she certainly wasn't a perfectionist. Her priority was always for the family to spend time together. When there were only girls in the neighborhood to play with, she made some Ken doll sized an army uniforms and a Ken doll sized camouflage tent so that my brother could play Barbies with us without being embarrassed. She also took care of other people and other kids who were around. When I was little, my house was always the house everyone played at, because many of them had working mothers who weren't home after school. When I was older, my friends sometimes felt more comfortable talking to my mom about things than their own parents. She is my best friend, and I want to be exactly like her. If I can be the sort of mother that my mother is, then I will truly feel like I am using my talents in the way God intended me to use them. It's not that the other things I'm doing in my life aren't important, but I really feel like that is the way that I will make the most of a difference in the world.