Is anyone else knitting anything right now?

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Is anyone else knitting anything right now?

Post by NerdGirl »

I'm making this and I'm very excited. I'm about halfway through the second half of the front, and I'm hoping to finish the whole thing this week. It's "spring" break.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter09/PATTspoke.php
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Really? That's awesome! Oh man. I wish I knew how to knit. Then again, my mother would teach me if I asked her, and I have so many bracelets to work on...

I should just find a knitter and offer werf 10 bracelets to make me something cool. Yeah. 'Cause that would work.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

That is an AWESOME sweater. I knit a little bit. I'm a bit scared to try clothing, though. I've mostly just made scarves. I'm currently working on my crochet skills. I've been crocheting hot pads, baby hats and flowers, and stuffed animals. I've been quite pleased with them, actually.

Are you signed up with ravelry.com? Katya got me to join, and let me tell you, it is well worth the several week waiting list.
NerdGirl

Post by NerdGirl »

Dragon Lady, I love ravelry! I always go on there and look what other people have made when I'm trying to decide whether or not I'm going to knit something. I haven't actually put that many pictures of my own stuff on there yet, but I think I will put this sweater on there. I mostly knit a lot of socks and things for my nephew because they're portable, but I think this is my 6th sweater. And I think it's going to be the best one yet. My crochet skills are pretty awful, though. It seems like very few people are good at both.

Bob, I'll knit you something cool! Seriously. I've got a ridiculous amount of yarn, partly because I can't resist those huge 5 dollar bags of yarn at walmart, and partly because my friend gave me a ton of yarn when she moved to France, and I need to knit things with it! If you find a pattern you like, I will seriously make it for you. I recommend knitty.com for cool patterns. :)
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Really? Really really really? *beams with joy* Awesome! I'll look around!
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

NerdGirl wrote:It seems like very few people are good at both.
Blast. Does that mean my chances of becoming good at knitting are slim? [sigh] ;)
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

In slightly unrelated news, bob keeps mentioning bracelets. Bob, what are these bracelets you are making? Are you selling them on etsy or something?

Oh, and to stay on topic, that sweater looks awesome. I tried knitting once. And crochet once. And STUNK at both. I'll stick to sewing. Good luck with your sweater though!
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

I am making a lot a lot of bracelets and yes selling them on etsy. They're friendship bracelets, you know, knotted embroidery floss. I have 31 up for sale right now, 7 that are photographed but not listed, and another 10 cut out but not yet made. (I just got home from photographing my latest batch.) It's pretty much all I do, yeah. : ) And some of them are awesome, even if I do say so myself. I mean, they're all good (okay, there are some I give to my sister because they're kinda lame), but some of them are awesome. Such as the rainbow one I'm working on right now which is almost 1 1/2 inches wide. Or the one that has holes in it big enough to be used as a mask. And I just bought some charms and I'll be adding those to bracelets.

...yeah. I'll stop now.
Foreman

Post by Foreman »

Dragon Lady wrote:
Blast. Does that mean my chances of becoming good at knitting are slim? [sigh] ;)
I'm pretty good at both.

And I'm a DUDE.
NerdGirl

Post by NerdGirl »

Foreman wrote:
Dragon Lady wrote:
I'm pretty good at both.

And I'm a DUDE.
That is awesome! My mother is also disturbingly good at both.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

So is my mother, but she's good at pretty much anything crafty, really. She's amazing.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I could be good at both, but I really don't like knitting and as such don't practice. I don't crochet much either, but I enjoy it much more.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Oh good. I have a chance. Perhaps I should start practicing again so that a DUDE doesn't show me up. :)

I preferred knitting to crochet, actually. I could knit by feel which made it a lot easier to watch TV or something while doing it. But then I made Heartless Siren a scarf. It was my first attempt at a pattern. (Think argyle, but all in one color. It was a pattern of those kinds of diamonds.) It took forever and I haven't really had any desire to go back since.

In a side note, I finally finished the scarf in the middle of summer right after she had major surgery on her neck (and thus it was too sensitive to wear a scarf, even if it hadn't been summer) and then moved to California. I guess that's what I get for procrastinating.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

Dragon Lady wrote:I preferred knitting to crochet, actually. I could knit by feel which made it a lot easier to watch TV or something while doing it..
Interestingly enough, that is why I prefer crocheting. I haven't ever actually used a pattern, which may change my mind.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

My mother and I checked a book out of the library yesterday, and bought another from the Bookstore, both on knitting. My mother's working of various stitches was lovely (until she pulled it out to work on cables). Mine leaves much to be desired. : D
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

So apparently I somehow forgot how to knit correctly and have been knitting the wrong way all this time. : O
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

No, no, I tell a lie; my mother learned to knit the (apparently) wrong way. So... whatever, I don't care, : P
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Sky Bones
Board Writer

Post by Sky Bones »

NerdGirl, forget Gio! :P That scarf has my name written all over it! Please?? My 'nym is based off of Yoshi after all. I would totally friend you on facebook or maybe something similar... :D
NerdGirl

Post by NerdGirl »

If I can figure out how to make that, I'll make one for both of you!