If prunes are dried plums, how do you get prune juice?

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Humble Master

If prunes are dried plums, how do you get prune juice?

Post by Humble Master »

For some reason this popped into my head, and through the magic of modern technology I did not have to wonder for very long.

Via Wikipedia:

"Prune juice is made by softening prunes through steaming and then putting them through a pulper to create a watery puree."
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Yum.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I think a more appropriate question (though that was a good one) is why don't we have plum juice? Why go through the effort of drying a fruit, then rehydrating it for juice? Why not just juice the juicy fruit to begin with?
Damasta

Post by Damasta »

I am Ellipsissy...
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Did you know that off the top of your head, or did you Google it?

Please, tell me it was the latter.
Damasta

Post by Damasta »

You win. It was the latter.
I am Ellipsissy...
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Thank Goodness.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

My grandparents always insisted that the smaller, rounder plums (Prunus americana) were true plums and that the oblong, dark purple plums (Prunus domesticus) were actually called prunes. They are the only people I've met who have made that assertion, though . . .
FauxRaiden

Re: If prunes are dried plums, how do you get prune juice?

Post by FauxRaiden »

Of olive oil comes from squeezed olives, and corn oil comes from squeezed corn, where does baby oil come from?
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Re: If prunes are dried plums, how do you get prune juice?

Post by ahem. »

If motor oil is used for motors, and cooking oil is used for cooking, what is corn oil for?

Well, according to Wikipedia, its main use is in cooking, where its high smoke point makes refined corn oil a valuable frying oil. It is also a key ingredient in some margarines. Corn oil is also a feedstock used for biodiesel. Other industrial uses for corn oil include soap, salve, paint, rustproofing for metal surfaces, inks, textiles, nitroglycerin, and insecticides. It is sometimes used as a carrier for drug molecules in pharmaceutical preparations.

So. Good times.