Elder Cook's Comment on Opponents of Prop 8

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

wired

Elder Cook's Comment on Opponents of Prop 8

Post by wired »

The Black Sheep (speaking from the great beyond) mentioned Elder Cook's comments about members not being out of good standing for opposing Prop 8 or choosing not to participate. I thought of the exact same quote yesterday and actually spent about an hour looking for it - I can't find it. Can anyone find a record of that quote?
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

I also looked and was unable to find it. But I distinctly remember it being in one of the Church's very first press releases on the issue, as well as in the letter that was read in Sacrament Meetings.
wired

Post by wired »

Alright, I am going to claim either Deatheaters or Danites are involved somehow if we can't find that quote anywhere....
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Still looking... I found this, which hints at it:
Before it accepted the invitation to join broad-based coalitions for the amendments, the Church knew that some of its members would choose not to support its position. Voting choices by Latter-day Saints, like all other people, are influenced by their own unique experiences and circumstances. As we move forward from the election, Church members need to be understanding and accepting of each other and work together for a better society.
Source: http://www.newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom ... iage-votes
Waldorf and Sauron

Post by Waldorf and Sauron »

It's elder clayton. It's in the SL Tribune archive, which I don't have access to.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Here's another snippet from Elder Wickman:
Decisions even for members of the Church as to what they do with respect to this issue must of course rest with each one in their capacity as citizens.
Source: http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng ... attraction

As an aside, the Commentary section of the LDS Newsroom is FULL of fascinating stuff. You guys should browse through it sometime.
wired

Post by wired »

Thanks for the correct. That would be why all of my "Cook" searches were not generating the results I wanted.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Waldorf and Sauron wrote:It's elder clayton. It's in the SL Tribune archive, which I don't have access to.
Here you go:
Latter-day Saints are free to disagree with their church on the issue without facing any sanction, said L. Whitney Clayton of the LDS Quorum of the Seventy. "We love them and bear them no ill will." (Stack, Peggy Fletcher. "LDS wards feeling toll of conflict" The Salt Lake Tribune. Salt Lake City, Utah: Oct 26, 2008)
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Gah, that's it!

Thanks everyone! Now I don't feel so sketchy about passing that on.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Leave it to Katya to be the librarian.
Deus ab veritas
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

We love you, Katya!
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Marduk wrote:Leave it to Katya to be the librarian.
No trouble at all, good citizens. I was in the neighborhood and happy to help. (And thanks to Waldorf and/or Sauron, who gave me all the information I needed to find it.)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

TheBlackSheep wrote:Gah, that's it!

Thanks everyone! Now I don't feel so sketchy about passing that on.
It's a weird quote, though, because I can't figure out where or under what circumstances he gave the statement, unless it was in an interview with Ms. Stack.
Damasta

Post by Damasta »

Here's another:
When asked about whether Latter-day Saints who publicly opposed Prop. 8 would be subject to some kind of church discipline, Elder Clayton said those judgments are left up to local bishops and stake presidents and the particular circumstances involved.

"All we can say is that the LDS Church gives way to the spiritual discernment of local leaders in the handling of any matter that might involve the kind of question you have raised." (Moore, Carrie A. "LDS official lauds work for California's Prop. 8." Deseret News. Salt Lake City, Utah: Nov. 6, 2008; here, p. 2)
I am Ellipsissy...
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Re: Elder Cook's Comment on Opponents of Prop 8

Post by thebigcheese »

While I was searching for that quote, I stumbled across a blog that was talking about the effects of Proposition 8 on wards in California. I guess some bishops were revoking temple recommends over this issue. Given the quote, I certainly hope that action only applied to cases where people took it to extremes ("I disagree with the Church's stance on this issue" is a very different from "I will actively denounce the prophet and his authority in front of the ward and all my friends"), but I don't really know the details of what happened. Apparently the wards got pretty polarized over there, at least from that person's perspective.
Last edited by thebigcheese on Fri May 28, 2010 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

I live in California, and I have relatives in other stakes in California. I'm sure not all members of the Church agreed with the Church's position on prop 8, but as far as I could see the opposition point of view was rarely expressed. When it was expressed those views were treated with respect. I really doubt any temple recommends were revoked over the issue, though if anyone was saying publicly that the Church was false and the prophet was a fallen prophet that would be grounds for pulling someone's recommend. I think I would have heard about that in my stake, so I don't think it happened in my stake. I would say that in my stake, and I think in the other stakes I am aware of the claim that the wards were polarized isn't correct. The opposition was a small minority. Two or three individuals in a ward who disagree isn't exactly polarizing, in my opinion. However, neither I nor my relatives live in the more liberal parts of the state, so I can't speak with authority about those areas.
Damasta

Post by Damasta »

vorpal blade wrote:I live in California, and I have relatives in other stakes in California. I'm sure not all members of the Church agreed with the Church's position on prop 8, but as far as I could see the opposition point of view was rarely expressed. When it was expressed those views were treated with respect. I really doubt any temple recommends were revoked over the issue, though if anyone was saying publicly that the Church was false and the prophet was a fallen prophet that would be grounds for pulling someone's recommend. I think I would have heard about that in my stake, so I don't think it happened in my stake. I would say that in my stake, and I think in the other stakes I am aware of the claim that the wards were polarized isn't correct. The opposition was a small minority. Two or three individuals in a ward who disagree isn't exactly polarizing, in my opinion. However, neither I nor my relatives live in the more liberal parts of the state, so I can't speak with authority about those areas.
I think you're right, Vorpal. I think the church only disciplined in cases of genuine apostasy, not mere political disagreement.
I am Ellipsissy...