Achoo!

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Dead Cat
Completed

Achoo!

Post by Dead Cat »

CK, I am inclined to side with Foreman on this one. I used to hold in my sneezes a la Sneezy from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Then I heard somewhere that holding in sneezes is bad for you and I've let them go ever since (I don't know if it's true, but I've gained pride in my sneezes since then, so it matters not). My standard is three to five in a row, so that is not a valid excuse for holding them in.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
TheAnswerIs42

Re: Achoo!

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

I don't know if I have told the story here before, but I actually ended up in the ER once because I held in a sneeze. No, I'm not kidding. Hang on, this is one of my favorite stories ever . . .

Basically, I had bruised my ribs earlier, and they still hurt quite a bit a couple of weeks later. Then I was in the JSB auditorium for American Heritage class when I held in a sneeze. I'm told that my lung impacted my ribs just right somehow and broke the cartiledge off of my 6th right rib. All I knew is I was suddenly in exruciating pain. My friend asked me if I was alright, and I don't remember what I told her, but I passed out from the pain. Onto the lap of guy next to me, who I had never met before. Yeah, that's not awkward.

Now, I wasn't out very long, and when I came to I tried to figure out why everyone was staring at me, and why Dr. Daynes was headed towards me. But my friend had watched me as I passed out, and apparently I shook a little bit (I'm told that happens when you pass out from pain?). Now, her friend in high school used to have seizures. So she thought I had a seizure and kinda freaked out a bit.

Skipping to the fun parts of the story, the guy I landed on and his friend carried me out into the hallway and gave me a blessing (with the contents of the JSB hallway gawking on). I was in so much pain that I really don't remember much of the whole thing. But eventually I ended up getting taken by ambulance to the ER, where I was asked repeatedly if I was pregnant. I guess that makes sense with the random pain in my midsection, but I was a VL freshman, for crying out loud. When I got snippy with one guy about not believing me, he said that "you wouldn't believe the number of 'virgin births' we get through this hospital". Nice. I guess no one wants to admit when they messed up.

Eventually we figured out what happened, although all I was told was "wait 4-6 weeks for the pain to go away". So, moral of the story . . . DON'T hold in your sneeze!
Commander Keen

Post by Commander Keen »

Dead Cat wrote:CK, I am inclined to side with Foreman on this one. I used to hold in my sneezes a la Sneezy from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Then I heard somewhere that holding in sneezes is bad for you and I've let them go ever since (I don't know if it's true, but I've gained pride in my sneezes since then, so it matters not). My standard is three to five in a row, so that is not a valid excuse for holding them in.
Actually, I could really care less about holding sneezes in. I thought my obviously ridiculously over-the-top response about weakness being manifest through the inability to hold sneezes back would shine through a bit more...

And I was simply saying that sneezes, while sometimes relieving, are not always the best things ever. I mean really, it's not like they're absolutely fantastic every single time.
<insert smarmy quote here>
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

That's an awesome story, 42!

I always hold my nose so the sneeze goes through my mouth instead because I hate the feeling of it going through my nose. I don't know if that's bad or not, but my dad swears that it will kill me one day. He says that about a lot of things, though, including getting jam on his hands.
Gimgimno
Cotton-headed Ninny-muggins

Post by Gimgimno »

Commander Keen wrote:
Dead Cat wrote:CK, I am inclined to side with Foreman on this one. I used to hold in my sneezes a la Sneezy from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Then I heard somewhere that holding in sneezes is bad for you and I've let them go ever since (I don't know if it's true, but I've gained pride in my sneezes since then, so it matters not). My standard is three to five in a row, so that is not a valid excuse for holding them in.
Actually, I could really care less about holding sneezes in. I thought my obviously ridiculously over-the-top response about weakness being manifest through the inability to hold sneezes back would shine through a bit more...

And I was simply saying that sneezes, while sometimes relieving, are not always the best things ever. I mean really, it's not like they're absolutely fantastic every single time.
Hey, CK, I just wanted to tell you that I don't care about anything that you ever say ever, especially on this forum. Ever. I didn't read any of your words that I just quoted.
Commander Keen

Post by Commander Keen »

Gimgimno wrote:
Commander Keen wrote:

Hey, CK, I just wanted to tell you that I don't care about anything that you ever say ever, especially on this forum. Ever. I didn't read any of your words that I just quoted.
I'm not exactly sure what you said because, like most others, I couldn't be bothered to read your post. Buuuuuuut I accidentally clicked "Quote" so I guess I should write something.
<insert smarmy quote here>
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I kinda hold in my sneezes. They end up sounding like "Ah-hmm-choo!"
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

i don't hold mine in, but every time i sneeze it feels like my lungs are hitting my ribcage. and it's very painful.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Tao

Post by Tao »

While not exactly holding it in, I'll minimize a sneeze in public by exhaling as much as possible just prior to sneezing. Then if you do feel the need to hold it back, any pulmonary distress is avoided.

Very unsatisfying as a sneeze though.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

The real question is, do you sneeze into your open hand, your closed fist, your elbow, the wall, or just let the sneeze fly at will?
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I sneeze into my shoulder.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

elbow. when i worked for the AIDS foundation, the directors were adamant that we sneezed into our elbows to minimize risks to the clients, so it's a habit now.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I also sneeze into my shoulder. It is a habit I developed while learning food handling procedures.
Deus ab veritas
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Yeah, I sneeze into my elbow if I have long sleeves on (habit from an old job). If I'm wearing short sleeves I'll just use my hands, unless I'm around food, in which case I'll use my shoulder.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Into the elbow because it's supposed to be more polite. There have been several occasions when somebody has walked up to shake my hand right as my nose decided it needed a good sneeze. Wouldn't want to be on the other side of that handshake...