Test your Harry Potter character knowledge

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Dragon Lady

Test your Harry Potter character knowledge

Post by Dragon Lady »

http://www.sporcle.com/games/GeoGod/allharrypotter

How many characters did you get on your first try? I got 107/200. I'm rather ashamed of some of the ones I forgot. I kept remembering characters, but couldn't remember their names to save my life. It was annoying. Maybe I'll try again after I finish listening to the books again so the later ones are fresher in my mind.
C is for
um Administrator

Re: Test your Harry Potter character knowledge

Post by C is for »

Oh, I did this one! I think I got 112. I'll do it again and see how I do.

Edit: Got 119. I really really tried to get one more to make it a round number, but I got distracted at the critical moment. And, of course, seeing the list, I was like "I was even trying to think of these and I couldn't!" 'Tis late, that's my best excuse.
Tao

Post by Tao »

27. Though if you look at total count I did get well over 40,000 names...
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

79. I'm with Dragon Lady- I could think of characters, but you can't type in "the centaur that filled in for Trelawney" when you just can't think of the name. That, and I spend a good portion of time very very annoyed because I couldn't remember Hedwig's name. I went through all the pets repeatedly and kept not remembering that stupid word . . .
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Also, is anyone else drooling at the new trailer? :) Somehow the trailers get me really excited, even when I don't love the movies all that much when I do get to see them. But these last two should be awesome! I hope.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

TheAnswerIs42 wrote:Also, is anyone else drooling at the new trailer? :) Somehow the trailers get me really excited, even when I don't love the movies all that much when I do get to see them. But these last two should be awesome! I hope.
Amen! Though if I watch too many times or too closely I start analyzing the scenes and start questioning. "But THAT isn't in the book!" And then I get all ruffled.

In other news, is anyone else excited about the new Lego Harry Potter for the Wii? It looks like a crazy amount of fun. (Note: it is based off the movies, not the books. So anything you don't like about the movies will probably be the same here. Though the trailer I saw today added in a bit of its own that is different from movie or book, but made me laugh. Imagine Book 1, sorcerer's stone has been retrieved by Harry, Quirrell is dead, Harry is unconscious, Voldemort, with no body, is trying valiantly to pick up the stone, but his little lego hand just keeps going through the stone. And then he gets all upset and stomps off. Seriously laughed at that one.)
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I've actually taken that quiz a lot of times now, but I think the first time I got around 120. It probably helped that I had just spent the two previous days updating my Harry Potter planetarium show, which involved much reading over of character lists.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

And I'm very excited about the trailer!!
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

91. There were quite a few that I couldn't remember the names for--and I wasted a ton of time trying to remember Umbridge (I kept thinking of her as "venomous honey"). I know I could do better if I tried again--but doing so so soon after this time seems like cheating.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Gimgimno
Cotton-headed Ninny-muggins

Post by Gimgimno »

Gah, 100, but the same excuses as all of you. I was panicking in the last 20 seconds at 99--that just wasn't going to fly. Fortunately, I remembered Norbert just in the nick of time.

The four in the first column that I missed were unforgivable.
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

93, I feel like I should have done better. I also had 4 unforgivable misses in the first column, and a few others. Plus, I kept thinking Angelina was just Angela.

Probably would have helped if I was currently reading the American (or British) English version right now as opposed to the French one. They changed the spelling on a LOT of names.
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I'm currently trying to read the French books as well. It's particularly difficult as I ignored the 17 years of French I was supposed to learn before college.

I got 76. But only because they allowed last names to work.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Oh, the last names thing is so handy! Type in "Weasley" and that's like 12 names right there!

I really want to do it again. But as I'm currently highest on the ranking anyway (go me) there's little point. Seems to me 3 months is a good amount of time to wait between tries.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

I got 7. I've never read any of the books or seen any of the movies. :D
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

C is for wrote:Oh, the last names thing is so handy! Type in "Weasley" and that's like 12 names right there!
I thought it was precious that Fleur pops up under the Weasley surname.
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

84 on my second try. This is WAY harder than it looks.
Early to bed and early to rise
Precludes you from seeing the most brilliant starry nights
Foreman

Post by Foreman »

I got 109! Not incredibly awesome, but I decided if I beat DL I'd have to post it. Thank goodness for Norbert (et tu, Gimminy?).

There were many whose names I just couldn't come up with at the moment...but of course things as random as "Piers Polkiss" pop into my head as soon as time runs out...
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Foreman wrote:I got 109! Not incredibly awesome, but I decided if I beat DL I'd have to post it.
Hah! That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. :) I still plan on taking it again when I've finished listening to all of the books again. I'm on book 3. So it'll be awhile.
Foreman wrote:There were many whose names I just couldn't come up with at the moment...but of course things as random as "Piers Polkiss" pop into my head as soon as time runs out...
I thought of him. But I kept thinking Peter and that just didn't work. I saw Piers at the end and groaned. My most embarrassing, I think, was forgetting Cornelius Fudge. I had just listened to the part in book 3 where he meets Harry at the Leaky Cauldron. And I couldn't remember his name. I kept muttering, "Minister of Magic. Green bowler hat. Prideful prat. WHAT IS HIS NAME??!?" I never did get it. Nor any of the other ministers (which I still can't remember their names off hand. There's the lion guy* and the one the Death Eaters controlled.)

*Has anyone else noticed how Rowling really likes to describe people with animals?
Gimgimno
Cotton-headed Ninny-muggins

Post by Gimgimno »

I thought of Scrimgeour before I could remember Fudge's name. How weird is that?

Also, I got killed by Book 7 characters. I was on my mission when it came out, I read it once in a fury when I got home, and that's the only time I've read/heard it, so...yeah. The Carrows and many many others were missed because that book isn't my forte.

My most embarrassing miss was Umbridge. I could not remember her name for the life of me, probably because I tried to put her character out of my mind entirely. Still embarrassing.
wryness

Post by wryness »

Wow, this is neat!

I got 106. I forgot a lot of minor characters, though.