#59460 What to eat with oatmeal

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

vorpal blade

#59460 What to eat with oatmeal

Post by vorpal blade »

I was surprised that I did not see raisins on the list of things to eat with oatmeal.

When I was two years old oatmeal and raisins was my favorite food. Back then I called it "mush and razors." A couple of months ago, while visiting an aunt and uncle (who just passed away) I was reminded of the time when I "wanted to commit suicide." (My uncle's words). I had just been dumped at their home while my mother was in the hospital. Being two years old, and feeling totally abandoned, I refused to eat. The doctor told my aunt and uncle that I would surely die before my father returned to pick me up unless they could get me to eat. So my aunt fixed my favorite food, mush and razors. She set me in the high chair and commanded me to eat. "EAT!" I refused. So she picked me up and spanked me really hard. She commanded me again to eat. "EAT!" Again I refused. Again she spanked me as hard as she could. When she commanded me a third time, with tears running down her face, I suddenly ate ravenously, like a mad man.

And I still enjoy eating my oatmeal with raisins.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Re: #59460 What to eat with oatmeal

Post by Marduk »

My dad is an avid oatmeal eater, and converted most of his children to his style of oatmeal. He adds ice cream, so of course it would be very popular with kids.

My current style, which I love and eat at least once or twice a week, and have for the past 10 years or so, is to spread oatmeal on top of toast. It is downright delicious.
Deus ab veritas
Darth Fedora

Post by Darth Fedora »

The best toppings:
Raisins/dried fruit
Cinnamon and/or sugar
Jelly
Peanut butter
Fresh fruit: apples, berries, bananas
Chocolate chips
Mini marshmallows
Tao

Post by Tao »

Butterscotch chips.
He who knows others is clever;
He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Guys. This reminds me of the "Provo Oatmeal Lovers" group on facebook that I may or may not be affiliated with. Which also reminds me of the "JAM JAM JAM JAM JAM" group. Both of these are freaking hilarious to me.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Marduk wrote:My current style is to spread oatmeal on top of toast. It is downright delicious.
AMAZING! My family used to give me grief for doing that because it apparently looks "gross" to them. But it's so dang good!

I'm a sugar-and-honey-and-milk oatmealer, generally. With brown sugar on special days. Nothing too crazy.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

vorpal blade wrote:When I was two years old oatmeal and raisins was my favorite food. Back then I called it "mush and razors." A couple of months ago, while visiting an aunt and uncle (who just passed away) I was reminded of the time when I "wanted to commit suicide."
When I first read this I thought your uncle thought you were trying to commit suicide by eating razors...
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Emiliana wrote:
vorpal blade wrote:When I was two years old oatmeal and raisins was my favorite food. Back then I called it "mush and razors." A couple of months ago, while visiting an aunt and uncle (who just passed away) I was reminded of the time when I "wanted to commit suicide."
When I first read this I thought your uncle thought you were trying to commit suicide by eating razors...
I must admit I initially thought something similar too.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Dead Cat wrote:
Emiliana wrote:
I must admit I initially thought something similar too.
I did too! And I was also reminded of how my brother used to have two pillowcases as a toddler that he absolutely loved (we're a family of strange people) and he called them his "boos". Sometimes when we were out in public, he would suddenly decide that he needed to carry his boos around right then, and strangers listening to us must have been disturbed at what they thought was a three year old crying and saying, "Mommy, I need my booze right now!"
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

That's funny, NerdGirl. Sorry for leading you astray on the suicide and razors thing. It wasn't intentional. When my uncle asked about the suicide thing I had to think about it for a while to remember what he was talking. But I never thought about it in terms of committing suicide by swallowing razors. That sounds...awful. And previous to his question I hadn't thought I was committing suicide, I just refused to eat and wasn't concerned about dying. Who at two thinks about dying? Well, I guess some do.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Heh, maybe I'm morbid, but I thought it was funny once I realized what you actually meant...