Daily random tidbit.

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Tao

Re: Daily random tidbit.

Post by Tao »

The Swearing thread got me thinking on euphemism treadmills and its counter-part, which then lead me to Gresham's Law, which then led to Seigniorage. Yay Seigniorage!
He who knows others is clever;
He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

The other day I learned that a half an avocado has nearly twice as much potassium as a medium banana.
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

Emiliana wrote:The other day I learned that a half an avocado has nearly twice as much potassium as a medium banana.
Maybe I'm allergic to potassium. Bananas and avocados BOTH make my ears itch.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

do you also have hay fever? It could be part of an oral allergy syndrome with a birch allergy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_allergy_syndrome.
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

Serena and Venus Williams are devout Jehovahs Witnesses. So was Michael Jackons, but he quit the church because they disapproved of Thriller.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

The word "fart" is one of the oldest in English.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

I'm not being skeptical necessarily, but where did you learn this fact and who came to this conclusion?
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

My mom (who spent the past few days in town--yay!), sister, and I were discussing family history and apparently we have a distant ancestor who had "Fart" as part of their name (I think Mom said it was along the lines of "Bob the Fart"). Curious that it could be a word back in the 1200s, I consulted Wikipedia.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Dead Cat wrote:My mom (who spent the past few days in town--yay!), sister, and I were discussing family history and apparently we have a distant ancestor who had "Fart" as part of their name (I think Mom said it was along the lines of "Bob the Fart"). Curious that it could be a word back in the 1200s, I consulted Wikipedia.
The OED also dates it to the 1200s (although there are English words that are several centuries older).
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Just ran the numbers: if we ever get around to colonizing the moon and we decided to make it all into one colony, it'd be over twice the size of Russia, surface area-wise.

--Jasper Fforde
wired

Post by wired »

Dead Cat wrote:Just ran the numbers: if we ever get around to colonizing the moon and we decided to make it all into one colony, it'd be over twice the size of Russia, surface area-wise.
And almost as cold.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Calgary is the third largest city in Canada. I had no idea it was that big.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Behind Toronto and Edmonton?
Deus ab veritas
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Toronto and Montreal, actually. Then Calgary, Ottawa, and Edmonton.

Edit: Note, however, that the ranking is different if you're counting the whole metropolitan area, and not just the city proper. In that case it goes Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, Ottawa, Edmonton. Interesting that Vancouver suddenly jumps in there...
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Laser Jock wrote:Toronto and Montreal, actually. Then Calgary, Ottawa, and Edmonton.

Edit: Note, however, that the ranking is different if you're counting the whole metropolitan area, and not just the city proper. In that case it goes Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, Ottawa, Edmonton. Interesting that Vancouver suddenly jumps in there...
Oh, I was surprised that Vancouver wasn't in there earlier. That makes sense if it's city vs. metropolitan area.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I'm reading an article about swearing for a paper. It says that in English there are three basic categories of swears, one of which includes words that are related to religion (like "damn" or "hell"). I never realized it, but "bloody" is in that category, which makes sense.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

mic0 wrote:I'm reading an article about swearing for a paper. It says that in English there are three basic categories of swears, one of which includes words that are related to religion (like "damn" or "hell"). I never realized it, but "bloody" is in that category, which makes sense.
What are the other two categories? (Scatology and sex?)
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Yes. :)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

mic0 wrote:Yes. :)
Of all the things to retain from undergrad . . .
mic0

Post by mic0 »

It's an important subject!

Or, at least, an interesting one.