Elder Packer's Talk on Homosexuality

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Re: Elder Packer's Talk on Homosexuality

Post by Imogen »

mic0 wrote:I was wondering about the Q in LGBTQ, too. I thought it meant Questioning? Like, to give people who aren't sure a place? Queer makes sense, though.
the Q does stand for questioning according to my friend who works closely with the gay community, but i just imagine it stands for both.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

My roommate just invited me to a Facebook event called "We love you President Packer," trying to get people to write letters saying how much they love him. I clicked "not attending" and explained my reasons in a wall post.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

I agree with you, Whistler.

And yes, the Q in LGBTQ stands for "questioning," but sometimes you'll see other letters added onto the end of the acronym, such as S for "supporter" and, yes, Q for "queer." And the LGBTQ community has for a long time been attempting to reclaim words like queer, and like Imogen explained, it now has a legitimate place in describing some of the members of the community, both as that term and as sort of a catch-all.
Waldorf and Sauron

Post by Waldorf and Sauron »

Aw, I was hoping the S in LGBTS was for Straight.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Hahahahaha, I thought it did the first time I saw it, and I was like, oh so it's... everyone now?
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I've been seeing LGBTQI lately, where the "I" stands for intersex, which is different than transgendered.

Oh, and I'm very happy about the changes to Elder Packer's talk. I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he wasn't actually trying to say that people choose to be gay, and I think the change in wording helps a lot.