Public Bathrooms

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
Puckish Fiend

Re: Public Bathrooms

Post by Puckish Fiend »

Waldorf and Sauron wrote:Fiend,

It's not about studies, it's about standards. Does better mean higher quality? Cleaner? Longer lasting? More affordable? More accessible? Yielding more in quantity? Funded in a fair manner (and that depends on your idea of fair)?
Yes. Better, in most cases, indicates all of these. ;)
Lord, what fools these mortals be!
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Puckish Fiend wrote:
Waldorf and Sauron wrote:Fiend,

It's not about studies, it's about standards. Does better mean higher quality? Cleaner? Longer lasting? More affordable? More accessible? Yielding more in quantity? Funded in a fair manner (and that depends on your idea of fair)?
Yes. Better, in most cases, indicates all of these. ;)
Some of those, however, aren't usually found together. For instance, it's very unusual to find something that is both longer lasting and cheaper than a similar product. Usually you pick the longer-lasting one or the cheaper one; in that case, which one is "better" depends on which attribute you prioritize more. And different people will make that value decision differently. Like Sauron pointed out, it depends on your goals.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Laser Jock wrote:For instance, it's very unusual to find something that is both longer lasting and cheaper than a similar product.
Rocks are cheap and durable. I vote we make everything out of rocks.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I'm with you, Laser Jock. It's like gluten-free bread. Gluten-free bread is not better for me because it is cheaper or tastier or even necessarily more nutritious (at least the stuff that they sell at the store) - it is none of those things, but it doesn't make my body destroy itself when I eat it and make me have to go to the hospital, so therefore it is better than wheat bread for me. But it is not better for other people because they have different goals than me.
Waldorf and Sauron

Post by Waldorf and Sauron »

Dear Puckish Fiend,

You seem fairly interested in economics, so you might want to look into learning about a couple basic economic concepts.

#1:
Next time you go shopping, pay attention to how many decisions you're making each time you put an item in your cart. How do you pick which item is "better"? What trade-offs are you making? Is the healthiest cereal also the best tasting cereal and the cheapest cereal? What factors go into deciding what brand of bread to buy — quality? organic? shelf life? price? size? number of slices? taste? calories per serving? other health facts?

The reason there is a variety of products is that different products meet different needs. The variety of similar products with different strengths provides benefits to society — because one size rarely fits all. And, in fact, the fact that we must pick and choose which attributes we prioritize is what makes competition possible in the first place.

(This ties heavily into the theoretical concept of "substitution goods," if you want to look it up.)

#2:
You might want to do some reading on the concept of "public goods." Here's a brief, fairly simple article, and the ever-great Planet Money has a recent podcast that goes into the issues of public or private lighthouses and autopsies. Interesting stuff.