Female Apostle

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Female Apostle

Post by Craig Jessop »

Wait, so Daryl Gibson weighed in on this? As in the Daryl Gibson from the NewsNet? I'm interested to know any behind the scenes interactions that have taken place, perhaps from a doubly anonymous 'nym for a writer!

And I thought Gibson's response totally rocked, by the way. Something about what Queen Alice said didn't sit right with me; while I obviously can't preclude a revelation giving women the priesthood, something tells me that it isn't going to happen -- after all, there have never been any promises made of women receiving the priesthood someday, while there were plenty about the blacks.
Dragon Lady

Re: Female Apostle

Post by Dragon Lady »

link?
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Craig Jessop wrote:I thought Gibson's response totally rocked, by the way.
I second this notion.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Daryl Gibson, yes, the Daryl Gibson of NewsNet, often writes in comments. He reads daily and keeps the writers accountable to NewsNet.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Who is this Daryl Gibson guy? I've seen his comments a lot, but I didn't know he was some kind of big deal.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I didn't know he was some kind of big deal, either. :) Craig's gonna have to answer that. I just know that he works at NewsNet and is our immediate superior.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Whoa. That's not at all how I pictured him. Though, that's typically the case. I rarely picture people the way they are.
Daryl Gibson

Post by Daryl Gibson »

Dragon Lady wrote:Whoa. That's not at all how I pictured him. Though, that's typically the case. I rarely picture people the way they are.
Sorry. I entered my ugly stage at age 11, and never quite grew out of it. You might have a different opinion of me if I were wearing my 3 Stooges tie, though. It's quite becoming.

-- Daryl Gibson
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

LOL. Nice to meet you, Daryl! Welcome!
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Bahaha! I feel like I just got caught with my hand in the cookie jar or something.

I did that once. Except it was the candy jar. I was probably 3 or so and my mom came down to find my hand in the candy jar. I put the lid back on (my hand still inside). My mom asked me what I was doing and I replied, "Trust me, Mom." Haha. I love that story. I love to picture 3-year old Dragon Lady saying "Trust me". Love it.

And Daryl, it wasn't that, it was more that I pictured you a lot more nerdy. The really tall black hair with the bangs that swoop out (bad description?) and the super nerdy glasses. Would the 3 Stooges tie would help you look more nerdy?
Daryl Gibson

Post by Daryl Gibson »

Dragon Lady wrote:Bahaha! I feel like I just got caught with my hand in the cookie jar or something.

And Daryl, it wasn't that, it was more that I pictured you a lot more nerdy. The really tall black hair with the bangs that swoop out (bad description?) and the super nerdy glasses. Would the 3 Stooges tie would help you look more nerdy?
I'm not really Sheldon-style nerdy, I'm afraid. My wife no longer lets me wear either the Stooge tie or the fish tie. She does allow me to wear a Flying Toasters tie occasionally, though. And thank you DL, and 42 for the welcome. I just couldn't resist speaking up.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Wow, hi, Daryl Gibson! I had no idea that was a real name until today. I just assumed it was made up, like "Givovanni Schwarz". And I think I have several of your comments favorited, as you seem to know a lot of random useful information.
Daryl Gibson

Post by Daryl Gibson »

NerdGirl wrote:Wow, hi, Daryl Gibson! I had no idea that was a real name until today. I just assumed it was made up, like "Givovanni Schwarz". And I think I have several of your comments favorited, as you seem to know a lot of random useful information.
Thanks. Yes, I appear to be real -- of course, how could you prove otherwise? I know a lot of information, most of it useless, but occasionally even I find something useful to offer.
UnluckyStuntman

Post by UnluckyStuntman »

I'm not sure if Queen Alice will see this or not, but I wanted to say thanks for thinking outside of the box on this one. The existence of Prophetesses may not be a wide-held belief within the LDS community, but the idea is certainly intriguing.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Daryl Gibson wrote:Thanks. Yes, I appear to be real -- of course, how could you prove otherwise? I know a lot of information, most of it useless, but occasionally even I find something useful to offer.
Heh, I've wondered if I'd pass a Turing test....

Just weighing in to toss in my thanks as well. Good to see you on the boardboard.
He who knows others is clever;
He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4
Waldorf and Sauron

Post by Waldorf and Sauron »

In related news, what's a priestess?
Tao

Post by Tao »

Waldorf and Sauron wrote:In related news, what's a priestess?
An old cow.

(for the non-linkers, Priest comes from the Greek presbyteros "an elder," also an adj. meaning "older," comparative of presbys "old," possibly originally "one who leads the cattle," from *pres- "before" + root of bous "cow.")
He who knows others is clever;
He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4
Queen Alice

Post by Queen Alice »

Hey guys! I just joined this forum. Woo hoo!

I wanted to clarify my reason for including the priestess story. I agree with Mr. Gibson that "prophet" and "apostle" aren't always synonymous (an apostle is a prophet but a prophet isn't necessarily an apostle); however I was using the story to illustrate the point that people will do mental gymnastics to come up with rationalizations and excuses instead of stating the obvious when it comes to sensitive/taboo subjects. I wasn't using the anecdote to say, "Hey, if women were prophetesses, that means they were also/could be apostles." It was a comment on the larger topic of women and the priesthood (not restricted to just apostles). Did anyone else think it was weird that my fellow RS sisters' answers ignored the possibility that women were actually prophetesses, i.e., the female equivalent of a prophet?

Also, I noticed that out of three answers and one comment, mine was the only one written by a woman. Does that seem interesting to anyone else that a question about women and the priesthood was mainly answered by men? It was also the only one to recognize the possibility of a change in who is ordained to the priesthood in the future. I feel like the other writers and Mr. Gibson actually just proved my point that people's knee-jerk reaction is just to deny that things in the church could change and to quickly come up with all of the reasons why the change couldn't happen (instead of thinking of reasons why it could).