Nine for Random Chatter, doomed to die

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Re: Nine for Random Chatter, doomed to die

Post by Katya »

mic0 wrote:No, it has at least 200! I think maybe they heard something about how Chinese has fewer sounds, and only a few hundred unique syllables...
Even so, you still have to multiply that by 5 tones, not including homophones.
mic0 wrote:but... I just... maybe she was tired?
OK. Let's go with that explanation.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Chinese has fewer than 140 words!

I know what language I'm going to learn next!
Deus ab veritas
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

mic0 wrote:Wrote a blog about something wrong someone said in my class. Wrote >140 to mean LESS than 140. Well, that was stupid! :P
So what you're telling us is that she actually wrote, "Chinese has greater than 140 words." Sounds correct to me.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Oh man, this is just getting confusing. She said "less than," I accidentally wrote "more than" because I'm that bad at math.

>_<
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Yeah. I'm officially confused.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

mic0 wrote:Oh man, this is just getting confusing. She said "less than," I accidentally wrote "more than" because I'm that bad at math.

>_<
That's what I thought. You were making fun of her, but in your tirade you accidentally went the wrong way and so your making fun of her fell flat.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Exaaaactly. :)

Okay, someone please change the subject. :D
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

I promised a girl I'd be good when we watched Harry Potter 7.2 last night but then I forgot myself and ruined the movie for her.

*sigh*

She'd already seen it. And so had I. So it's not like it was totally ruined. I just felt bad.

Actually part of the problem is people kept getting confused at what was even going on, or another self-proclaimed HP nerd would want clarification on a point of canon that they were getting wrong in the movie...so there was a lot of talking going on.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

mic0 wrote:Oh man, this is just getting confusing. She said "less than," I accidentally wrote "more than" because I'm that bad at math.
No, I think your brain rebelled at even writing such a statement, so you corrected it as you wrote it. (Sorry for not changing the subject.)
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

So I moved out of my parents' house a couple of weeks ago and it's amazing how much has changed. I'm more productive in my work, I keep things clean, I'm more aware of changes in my mood and body, I'm more motivated to do things that are good for me, and overall I think I'm just happier.

Environment, guys. It totally has an effect on us.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

I've got the International Friendship Song stuck in my head...
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I am so behind on the internet that it's not even funny. But I have so many things to say about so many things on here, so just be excited for when I have an hour to sit on here and write stuff.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

I'm glad you're back, NerdGirl. For one thing, can you post the link to your gluten-free blog again? I've been off gluten for five or six days now (after suspecting that I've got a mild, non-celiac intolerance) and I feel loads better. Now I just have to figure out what to eat. And what to feed my family.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

A friend of mine also has a blog where she talks about celiac: http://cinderellaspear.blogspot.com/

I don't know that she posts that many recipes on it, but you might find it interesting. (She's also got a nice blogroll with links to some other gluten-free blogs.)
NerdGirl

Post by NerdGirl »

krebscout wrote:I'm glad you're back, NerdGirl. For one thing, can you post the link to your gluten-free blog again? I've been off gluten for five or six days now (after suspecting that I've got a mild, non-celiac intolerance) and I feel loads better. Now I just have to figure out what to eat. And what to feed my family.
Yes I can! http://glutenfreewolf.blogspot.com
NerdGirl

Post by NerdGirl »

And I'm hoping to get cookbook reviews, bread reviews, and my own bread recipe on there this week.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Interesting video about how much NASA beat the odds on the Apollo 11 mission.
The Apollo 11 crew would have been stranded on the moon had Buzz Aldrin not jammed a pen into a faulty switch to fire up the module's ascension rocket.
Whoa. I'm the kind of guy who keeps replaying in his mind narrowly-escaped catastrophes. I shudder at the thought of being stranded in a little metal box on the moon, I'm glad I don't have the memory of almost having been in that situation. Good thing Buzz had a pen!

Fun fact: the lander had only 36K of memory, less than most calculators today :)
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I about posted my fun fact about Apollo 13, but then I remembered that that would compromise my identity. Definite flaws of anonymous forums.
Digit

Post by Digit »

The comments section at that CNN link is depressing. People actually deny the moon landing. I group those people with the "Elvis is still alive" folk.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Dragon Lady wrote:I about posted my fun fact about Apollo 13, but then I remembered that that would compromise my identity. Definite flaws of anonymous forums.
I'll tell! DL's fact is that her real name is Apollonia Tredici (in honor of Apollo 13).