Religious vs. Spiritual

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Re: Religious vs. Spiritual

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Oooh, Imogen, I very much enjoyed that book, and I think you would too. I think it's right up your alley. I love all of AJ Jacobs' books.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

TheBlackSheep wrote:Oooh, Imogen, I very much enjoyed that book, and I think you would too. I think it's right up your alley. I love all of AJ Jacobs' books.
well hopefully santa will leave a barnes and noble gift card under the tree for me so i can read it!
beautiful, dirty, rich
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Dragon Lady wrote:Heh. Rant away. Mostly, I read a blog today where they encouraged the readers to ask themselves if they are religious or spiritual. And I was a little confused. Because in my head the two were synonymous. The more I thought about it, the more I could pull them apart and find little differences, but I was curious what other people thought about it. I'm not hoping this thread will.
Remind me--are you the one who told me you've never had a non-LDS friend? (Or not a close friend, at any rate?)
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Katya wrote:
Dragon Lady wrote:Heh. Rant away. Mostly, I read a blog today where they encouraged the readers to ask themselves if they are religious or spiritual. And I was a little confused. Because in my head the two were synonymous. The more I thought about it, the more I could pull them apart and find little differences, but I was curious what other people thought about it. I'm not hoping this thread will.
Remind me--are you the one who told me you've never had a non-LDS friend? (Or not a close friend, at any rate?)
Probably. I have an aunt and cousins that aren't LDS, but she grew up in an LDS home (as a step-child, so she was never baptized) and can fit into the culture quite well. I've had a few "friends" that weren't LDS, but I met them at a week-long summer camp and never really talked to them again, so I don't think they really count. I currently have neighbors that aren't LDS, but they speak Spanish and I don't. So our conversations are pretty short and I don't think I can really classify them as friends. Oh, and there was 1 or 2 kids in high school that weren't LDS.

Other than that, I'm not sure I even know anyone else (outside of you non-LDS Boardies… who I don't really know, of course) that isn't LDS.

I grew up in a very predominantly LDS town. I worked with LDS people through high school. I went to two LDS colleges. Even when I lived outside of the country, I went with groups that were 100% LDS. When I graduated, I worked for the Church. And typically all of the friends I have at any given time are people in my ward. So, I guess I live a pretty LDS-bubbled life? Referring to another thread, no wonder I find missionary work so terrifying. :)
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Wow! I didn't even know that was possible!
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

I don't think I had a really close LDS friend until I started BYU. Okay, a couple of good friends, but my closest were not.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Same here. The other kids in my ward went to a different school, so we basically had a once-a-week friendship. We weren't exactly close.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

I grew up in Utah, but I count myself lucky that my best friend in elementary school and junior high was Catholic, because it broadened my horizons. Also, her mom was really awesome about being a good ambassador for the Catholic Church in terms of being really patient and good about explaining things. I still remember watching Sister Act with her family and learning a ton about Carmelite nuns. :)