Potatoes

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Potatoes

Post by thebigcheese »

Thus far, I've succeeded in creating the ultimate valentine's dinner: bbq baby back ribs, cornbread, veggies, fresh-squeezed limeade, and some kind of potatoes. But I don't know any fancy potato recipes. The ones I've tried before have turned out funky. So, what are your favorite potato recipes? I have red potatoes and russet potatoes.

(If no one replies in the next hour, I'll probably just bake them and call it a day.)
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Re: Potatoes

Post by ahem. »

You could do scalloped potatoes. Always yummy if done right.

Or oven-roasted potatoes. For those, I just cube the potatoes, throw 'em in a bowl or big ziplock bag. Add some veg. oil to lightly coat, and then throw in whatever sounds good at the moment (fresh garlic, pepper, salt, seasoning salt, oregano, etc.). Then bake them in an 425 F degree oven for like 30-40 minutes maybe turning half-way through.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

For ribs my mom usually makes the potatoes into fries -- cut them intro strips, add some seasoning, put them in at 400 or 375 for like half an hour. I don't love them, and they may not be fancy enough, but they can look cute...
UnluckyStuntman

Post by UnluckyStuntman »

seriously, nothing beats creamy, cheesy mashed potatoes. mmmmmmmm...
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

You could do twice baked potatoes, but those are a lot of work, and it sounds like a very heavy meal already.
Deus ab veritas
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Or you can stick a potato on a stick and eat it raw.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Classy, Dead Cat. Classy.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Dead Cat wrote:Or you can stick a potato on a stick and eat it raw.
Potatoes tartare
wired

Post by wired »

thebigcheese wrote:Thus far, I've succeeded in creating the ultimate valentine's dinner: bbq baby back ribs, cornbread, veggies, fresh-squeezed limeade, and some kind of potatoes. But I don't know any fancy potato recipes. The ones I've tried before have turned out funky. So, what are your favorite potato recipes? I have red potatoes and russet potatoes.

(If no one replies in the next hour, I'll probably just bake them and call it a day.)

After the fact answer: sweet potato fries are incredible; so are mashed sweet potatoes with cinnamon and a little bit of brown sugar. (Really, they're great with a lot of brown sugar, but you might not want to die an early death.)
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

You guys are awesome! My husband was very pleased. I ended up doing oven-roasted potatoes, but now I want to try all these others...

(And he's particularly happy about the fact that he gets to bring the leftover ribs for lunch today and will make all his coworkers COMPLETELY jealous.)
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

thebigcheese wrote:(And he's particularly happy about the fact that he gets to bring the leftover ribs for lunch today and will make all his coworkers COMPLETELY jealous.)
That will be me tomorrow! :D Although lately we've had this leftover pasta from my sister's Sweethearts dinner last weekend, and the alfredo is so awesome that it should make people jealous too. I've been a happy luncher. (Yeah for ribs tonight, though.)