What's for dinner?

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Dragon Lady

Re: What's for dinner?

Post by Dragon Lady »

Unit of Energy wrote:ok, I have had cheese crisps and I've had quesadillas, and in my mind they are two separate things, although with the same ingredients. A quesadilla requires a top tortilla in my mind.
Agreed. And cheese crisps are rolled. ;)
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

so.... a cheese crisp is a flauta?
Deus ab veritas
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Marduk wrote:so.... a cheese crisp is a flauta?
I… have no idea what that is. :)
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Craig Jessop wrote:
Katya wrote:I'm really confused about why Arizonans don't say "quesadilla."
Because. That's just the way it is.
Craig is wrong, that's why. Arizona people TOTALLY prefer 'quesadilla' over 'cheese crisp.' I think of cheese crisp as the lame east coast way to say it because they are scared to pronounce the double-L.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

ahem. wrote:
Craig Jessop wrote:
Craig is wrong, that's why. Arizona people TOTALLY prefer 'quesadilla' over 'cheese crisp.' I think of cheese crisp as the lame east coast way to say it because they are scared to pronounce the double-L.
Heh. Over the weekend, I heard a film critic pronounce "Gila" as "Gee-ya." Points for trying, bud!
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

I like pronouncing the double-l, but that's because mispronuncing stuff is fun. I also say "let-u-si" instead of "lettuce" and "ly-totes" instead of litotes. And I'm not sure where my high school physics teacher got it, but because of him, I say "fo-teen" instead of "fourteen." And since this has nothing to do with dinner now, I'll stop talking.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Sky Bones
Board Writer

Post by Sky Bones »

I had never heard of a "cheese crisp" until now. Growing up we always said quesadilla and I'm about as east coast as they come. Then again, both my parents did speak Spanish...
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I always think of quesadillas as having a tortilla on top and bottom, so I'm down with calling a topless quesadilla a cheese crisp. Also, i just made enchiladas. But I had to make new sauce, because the tomatillo sauce I thought I had in my freezer has apparently already been eaten. I put slow-cooked pork tenderloin in them, made the sauce of out vegetable broth and spices thickened with sweet rice flour (that is my favorite gluten free thickener, and it's different than regular rice flour), and topped them with farmer's cheese and the rest of the sauce. The are in the oven right now! Yay food!
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

ahem. wrote:
Craig Jessop wrote:
You ARE from Tucson... maybe this is just the way we say it in the Valley.
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Fact: I lived the first nine years of my life in Mesa, and the next nine in Tucson. I call them quesadillas no matter which city I lived in.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Dear everyone from the random thread: this thread exists.

Tonight, we had creamy chicken and brown rice soup (my first time using leeks. why did I not know about them sooner?) with wheat rolls and cantaloupe.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

So far I have had a slice of bread, some crackers, and some pain reliever. Not helpful, I know.

I love making chicken in sauce over rice and sauteed green beans.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I had gluten-free foccacia bread from the farmer's market and a popsicle. Oh, and some leftover broccoli, cheese, and bacon frittata.
Talons

Post by Talons »

If you like leeks, try pasta with bacon and leeks. When my wife is in her happy place, she is in a quiet room eating this meal.

Tonight we had sweet potato and black bean burritos but instead of baking them they were grilled to perfection. I may never eat another burrito without sweet potatoes again.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

oh my. I think I will try that.

Tonight we also had burritos. Black beans, shredded seasoned chicken, cilantro lime rice. The cook-'em-yourself tortillas from Costco are so much better than the precooked ones.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Last night, we had my infamous "shortcut lasagna" and salad (spinach, sliced strawberries, and poppy seed dressing), and we invited some friends over to come enjoy it with us.

Story:
In my family, it's become a tradition around Christmas that each of the kids cooks something special for dinner at least once or twice during the break. I decided to make my new lasagna recipe, since it's relatively easy and still tastes really good. Now, my dad wasn't very happy when he heard about this. His favorite dish is lasagna, and my mom's lasagna is much more complicated because she makes her own sauce. He was FURIOUS. I mean, seriously, I've never seen anybody get so mad about getting free lasagna. He just kept saying, "YOU CAN'T SHORTCUT LASAGNA!" and then he'd storm off to the other room. I've never seen my dad act like that before. But it was kind of hilarious. So my easy lasagna recipe has been renamed "Shortcut Lasagna" in honor of my horrified father.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Hooray for this thread existing!!!

Tonight we're having slow cooked chicken thighs with peppered cabbage. And mashed potatoes. And probably a salad of some sort. Since I have spinach, it'll probably be spinach, mandarin oranges (if I get to the store), almonds, craisins and poppy seed dressing.
Eirene
Board Writer

Post by Eirene »

Last night I made vegan scalloped potatoes (these are terribly disappointing if you're expecting real scalloped potatoes, but actually pretty decent if you just want some herby roasted potatoes) and miso soup with daikon and tofu (daikon courtesy of DL!).
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I still need to do something with the rest of my daikon… And all the other stuff I have. I need to start cooking again!
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Talons wrote:If you like leeks, try pasta with bacon and leeks. When my wife is in her happy place, she is in a quiet room eating this meal.
By the way, do you use wine when you make this? Chicken stock?