What's for dinner?

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
krebscout

Re: What's for dinner?

Post by krebscout »

I had no idea xanthan gum was a thing you could just buy and add to things. Would one find a tub of it in a lot of gluten-free pantries, or is it just something you like to have on hand?

Last night we had a big salad with lots of things in it, and tonight I think we're having corn on the cob, baked potatoes, chicken, and more salad.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I think we still have a container of xanthan gum. It was definitely a staple in our gluten-free cooking.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Yeah, it's definitely a gluten-free staple and I didn't have any idea you could just buy a bag of it before I was gluten-free. But I've started experimenting with adding it to things other than gluten-free baked goods where it might be useful, and I've discovered it makes whipped cream stay whipped for a long time (which is awesome because then you can use it as frosting) and it makes beating egg whites to make meringues or marshmallows happen much faster. It's expensive, but you only ever need a small amount of it. For two cups of cream, for example, I would add maybe 1/4 teaspoon.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

You can buy it in bulk at WinCo.
Rifka

Post by Rifka »

We're going out for dinner (it's our anniversary tomorrow!), but for lunch we had hash. It's a quick, easy meal because you just fry up potatoes and add in whatever other meats, vegetables, and spices you have on hand. I baked potatoes a few months ago and had extra so I cubed up the cooked potatoes and froze them. I just pulled out the frozen potatoes, frozen hamburger, and frozen vegetables, thawed them, and cooked them up with eggs, cheese, and spices: salt, pepper, onion, garlic, sage, thyme, sweet basil, parsley, and oregano (all spices I had on hand). Another bonus is that hash freezes really well. So, you can make a bunch of extra and throw it in the freezer for a meal some time when you can't or don't want to spend a bunch of time cooking. Yum!
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

We had pasta salad. From a box, because my mom isn't feeling well and, though I would've been fine to make it for real, I was just as happy to make it from a box. The tomatoes were the best part, though.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

We had leftovers. The Hawaiian/Mexican Haystacks. They remained delicious.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Last night I made quesadillas (pretty much the same ingredients as the burritos I ate two nights last week, but whatever) for myself, and porridge for my roommate who has malaria.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

For my birthday dinner, my husband made Shake-N-Bake chicken, cheesy potatoes, and salad. Then we had cupcakes for dessert. Yum!
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Last night we had some sort of marinated chicken (Catalina dressing, maybe?), some cheesy potatoes, and salad. And homemade bread. With trifle for dessert. It was delish.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

We had pork with béarnaise sauce, sauteed green beans, and mashed potatoes, with chocolate-topped rice crispy treats for dessert. And candy.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Rifka

Post by Rifka »

Chicken a la king, fresh strawberries, and banana muffins. Quick and yummy (especially if you buy chicken on sale, pre-cook and cube it, and freeze it for some time when you're in a hurry).
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

taco soup!
NerdGirl

Post by NerdGirl »

Maybe pad thai noodles with shrimp and some kind of garlic sauce - I'm running out of food here, but I don't want to do any major shopping because I'm moving in 3 weeks! Wow, that's really soon!
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

We had won ton salad. Yummy. I think...darn it, they threw it away. I was going to have some more.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Leftover night! When I was a kid, I HATED LEFTOVER NIGHT WITH A BLOODY PASSION! But now that I'm the one cooking, it's just so nice to have a night off. Leftover night is now a godsend. Funny how that perspective changes...
NerdGirl

Post by NerdGirl »

Pot roast with potatoes, onions, mushrooms, and fried parsnips.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Leftover chicken thighs with peppered cabbage with my favorite bread (asiago sourdough artisan. I've really gotta figure out how to make that.) and watermelon and honeydew.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

sweet potato fries with fry sauce and broccoli... jet lag
Rifka

Post by Rifka »

Fajitas, courtesy of my sister. Yum!