What's for dinner?

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Re: What's for dinner?

Post by Imogen »

i had that old classic, a cheese sandwich. delicious.
beautiful, dirty, rich
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Is there anything bad about eating three to five pounds of carrots in a week, every week? Is there such a thing as carrot poisoning?

Anyway, tonight we're having "Easy Cheesy Chicken," the recipe for which is found, I think, on the back of any Stovetop Stuffing box.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

krebscout wrote:Is there anything bad about eating three to five pounds of carrots in a week, every week? Is there such a thing as carrot poisoning?

Anyway, tonight we're having "Easy Cheesy Chicken," the recipe for which is found, I think, on the back of any Stovetop Stuffing box.
I know eating too many carrots can make you turn orange, but i don't know how many you would have to eat for that to happen.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Rifka

Post by Rifka »

According to this guy you can, but it takes a LOT of carrots: http://orangeman.commo.de/index.html.
My mom says I ate so many whipped-up-apricots as a baby that I started turning orange. I have no idea how many I ate, though.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Tonight I made the best gluten free pizza crust I have made yet. It had a combination of chickpea flour, brown rice flour, sorghum flour, and cornstarch.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

we had ginger pork stirfry (mushrooms, onion, sweet peas) over rice. cheap rice that is nothing like the Japanese kind.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I had forgotten that Dragon Baby had an orange tint for awhile. She just loved her carrots and sweet potatoes so much!

And for dinner we had a made up meal of colorful pasta, broccoli, cauliflower, sour cream, lemon pepper, parmesan, salt and pepper all mixed together.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Last night I made a pizza with pesto, bacon, parsnips, pear slices, and little pieces of cream cheese rather than grated cheese. It might be the best pizza I have ever made.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

NerdGirl wrote:Last night I made a pizza with pesto, bacon, parsnips, pear slices, and little pieces of cream cheese rather than grated cheese. It might be the best pizza I have ever made.
That sounds … interesting. And probably too adventurous for me to try on my own. But I would try if someone else made it. So you should invite me over next time you do. ;)
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Last night's dinner was mostly thanks to Bountiful Baskets. We made spaghetti sauce with a bunch of roma tomatoes, garlic, onion, green pepper, salt, pepper, parsley, oregano, and basil. That was served over linguini. (Turns out I need to buy more spaghetti.) We had a side of broccoli and cauliflower, served with lemon pepper or lemon juice. And homemade bread.

For dinner we made orange rolls, but I didn't have any refrigerator biscuits, so I decided to make some. But then I ran out of white flour. So I used whole wheat pastry flour. And … I think I made too many biscuits and should have doubled the orange topping. It tasted more like cornbread (at least a whole-wheat-with-no-cornmeal cornbread) with random patches of orange goodness. I will not be making substitutes like that with this recipe again. Nope, nope, nope. Now I owe our neighbors a good pan of orange rolls so they know what they missed.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Tonight we had baked pasta and steamed broccoli, and last night we had yellow curry. It turned everything yellow.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Oh hey! I forgot about this. Tonight we had Hungarian Cabbage. Really yummy and really easy. Put some oil in a skillet, add a tablespoon or so of sugar and cook till brown (or until you're too impatient) and add one chopped onion. Cook until it starts to get soft, then add one head of finely chopped cabbage. Stir occasionally until the cabbage is soft, about 20 minutes. Meanwhile cook up a 12 oz. bag of egg noodles. (I use whole wheat.) When the cabbage is done, season with salt and pepper to taste, add the noodles and 1 Tbsp. of poppy seeds. Stir and you're done! It's a great light summer meal, and a great way to use up a head of cabbage. And it's surprisingly delish.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches. Oh my heavenly delicious. I will never eat a plain grilled cheese again.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Tonight I made my favorite showing-off-for-company meal: stuffed eggplant masala (eggplant, potatoes, tomatoes, onions, chili peppers, tamarind sauce, Indian spices), with sides of rice, couscous, yogurt, salad (tomato, avocado, cucumber, onion, vinegar, cilantro), and pound cake with lemon icing. 100% vegetarian, 95% gluten-free, 90% vegan. :)
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I think I'm gonna roast a chicken and some veggies. I think.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Since we got green chilies from Bountiful Baskets last week, my husband made chicken enchiladas...because that's the only recipe we have that includes green chilies. But we still have several peppers left! If anyone knows what else to make with green chilies, please let me know.

Marduk, I'm looking in your direction...
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Nix that. We went to In-N-Out
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

thebigcheese wrote:Since we got green chilies from Bountiful Baskets last week, my husband made chicken enchiladas...because that's the only recipe we have that includes green chilies. But we still have several peppers left! If anyone knows what else to make with green chilies, please let me know.

Marduk, I'm looking in your direction...
I second everything in here. Except my husband making enchiladas part. Yellow, wanna get on that for tomorrow? ;)
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

We've used green chilies in breakfast burritos...I'll ask my mom what the chilies are for that she just bought today.

Tonight we had pasta alfredo with bacon and tomato. Oh, so yummy. I ate way too much, but I'm thinking maybe it's time for more...
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Hrmmm, it depends on what you mean by "green chilies." Are we talking Anaheim peppers? That's my guess. The most common uses for those are in chile verde and chile relleno. Assuming that's what you're talking about, I can give you a few basic recipes for those.
Deus ab veritas