Registration

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Registration

Post by Craig Jessop »

I register for classes tonight. I've had my courses and section numbers selected for a week, and all it will take is a quick fifteen minute break in my normal sleep schedule to register at midnight. Swell.

HOWEVER...

There is one class (Hist 303) that I need to fulfill both a major requirement and a GE requirement. There are lots of classes to choose from to fulfill this particular GE requirement, including languages and art classes and the like. Many of those classes have 100 person limits. Why do people insist on taking a 300 level course outside their major, with only 30 seats? Bobby Engineer or Sally Nursing Major or even Phil RMYL aren't equipped to go into a 300 level history course and write and research at the level expected -- not that they can't write, but there is a way to do it in history that we take a WHOLE ENTIRE MAJORS-ONLY CLASS TO LEARN! I know the professor of the class I want to take, and she's picky. These people are WAY in over their heads, and someone like me, who would be able to do well in the class, has to take it a different semester -- as in Fall 2013 after I should graduate -- or go and take a class outside my major to fulfill the GE! And ANOTHER class in the major to fulfill the requirement there! I'm going to take two classes I don't want to take because people would rather take a highly specialized course designed for history majors than take regular GE class... not that I blame them, because history is awesome, but still. It's annoying, and it means I have to take two unnecessary classes.

Color me irritated.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Re: Registration

Post by Katya »

Odds are, a few of those people will drop the class before or shortly after the semester starts. I'd still register for the other classes, just in case, but in the meantime, contact the professor and tell her you'd like to take the class and you'll show up with an add card during the first week of class, if you're not able to register online.
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

That's what I'm planning to do, and the professor knows and likes me so it shouldn't be a problem. I just hate being in limbo.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Craig Jessop wrote:That's what I'm planning to do, and the professor knows and likes me so it shouldn't be a problem. I just hate being in limbo.
I deeply sympathize.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Oh, class scheduling. I don't miss those days. When I was studying industrial design, it was back in the days when they required everyone to re-apply for the program annually. We couldn't register for design classes until we'd been accepted, so I always had to create two complete class schedules. One was my backup schedule, just in case I didn't get accepted into the program. The other was my intended schedule, just in case I did get accepted. Once I found out that I got accepted...every year...I dropped my entire schedule and signed up for the classes I actually wanted to take. What a pain that system was.