63571 purse contents

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Dragon Lady

63571 purse contents

Post by Dragon Lady »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/63571/

GA's card ring is BRILLIANT. Seriously. Brilliant. I have a billion cards in various parts of my wallet and purse based on their type and how often I use them. But I always wish they were in one place. I may have to seriously consider this. If I can figure out how to punch the hole, that is.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Re: 63571 purse contents

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I should really try emptying out my purse every time I get home. Then I wouldn't have a bunch of receipts and things in there. Luckily, though, it's so small that I can't carry around much stuff. I have definitely been the kind of person with a purse full of crap.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Dragon Lady wrote:http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/63571/

GA's card ring is BRILLIANT. Seriously. Brilliant. I have a billion cards in various parts of my wallet and purse based on their type and how often I use them. But I always wish they were in one place. I may have to seriously consider this. If I can figure out how to punch the hole, that is.
How would this work with cards that have to be swiped? Do you just hand the whole ring to the cashier? (After making sure not to punch the hole through the magnetic strip!)
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Katya wrote:

How would this work with cards that have to be swiped? Do you just hand the whole ring to the cashier? (After making sure not to punch the hole through the magnetic strip!)
Probably? Another reason I'd have to think it out first. And library cards wouldn't work as well, since you have to drop them in the thing. And I'd hate to take it off every time. But where do you find a card carrier big enough for a billion cards?
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I want a plastic snake for my purse.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

For a while I carried around a travel-sized snakes and ladders that doubled as an emergency pill case.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Rifka

Post by Rifka »

Dragon Lady wrote:
Katya wrote:

Probably? Another reason I'd have to think it out first. And library cards wouldn't work as well, since you have to drop them in the thing. And I'd hate to take it off every time. But where do you find a card carrier big enough for a billion cards?
I subscribe to a bunch of organizing blogs and found an idea there for all those floating cards that I really liked. The blog suggested only keeping the cards you use all the time in your wallet/purse. For the rest, get a separate wallet (like the cheap $5 kind for little girls), put all your extra rewards cards, etc. in it, and put it in the glove compartment in your car. That way you have the cards if you drive somewhere and need them, but they're not bulking up your wallet/purse. I just did this to slim down my wallet (only I put my extra cards in a ziploc bag 'cause I'm a cheapskate). I've really liked it so far.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Rifka wrote:I subscribe to a bunch of organizing blogs and found an idea there for all those floating cards that I really liked. The blog suggested only keeping the cards you use all the time in your wallet/purse. For the rest, get a separate wallet (like the cheap $5 kind for little girls), put all your extra rewards cards, etc. in it, and put it in the glove compartment in your car. That way you have the cards if you drive somewhere and need them, but they're not bulking up your wallet/purse. I just did this to slim down my wallet (only I put my extra cards in a ziploc bag 'cause I'm a cheapskate). I've really liked it so far.
Ohhh, that is a great idea. Thanks!
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Just be careful that you don't melt magnetic strips in your car. Wait, is that even possible?
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

I got the idea from my dad. He got tired of us losing our library cards as kids so he took them all, punched holes in the corners, and hung them up on a hook in the kitchen. For cards that need to be swiped I just select the one I want and hand the whole thing to the cashier. They usually aren't expecting it and are surprised by the extra weight, but most of the time they say what a good idea they think it is. I keep my license right next to my debit card so they never have to ask for ID. I usually only take a card off if I need to insert it into an ATM. I did learn that you can't punch UTA bus passes because they've started putting chips in them. If any of you decide to go the hole-punching route I recommend using a three-hole punch - a single handheld punch requires a lot of hand strength.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

The problem I see with Rifka's idea is that if it's in the car, I won't remember it till I'm at the checkout, then it's too late to go grab it from my car. Right now I have all the ones I use regularly in my wallet, and the rest in the outside pocket of my purse. And even that seems "too far away".
Rifka

Post by Rifka »

Dragon Lady wrote:The problem I see with Rifka's idea is that if it's in the car, I won't remember it till I'm at the checkout, then it's too late to go grab it from my car. Right now I have all the ones I use regularly in my wallet, and the rest in the outside pocket of my purse. And even that seems "too far away".
I do have that problem sometimes. I think it just requires a shift of mentality.