Beginning Running 101?

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
krebscout

Beginning Running 101?

Post by krebscout »

I know there are a lot of runners here. And I know there is such a thing as "running correctly." I'm still not sure what that means, though. Something about landing on the heel of your foot and not the ball, or vice versa? Can anybody here tell me more about correct running, especially for an absolute beginner? Or otherwise have any advice for a slightly-overweight-and-mostly-out-of-shape-but-exercises-every-day girl who might be looking into running?
krebscout

Re: Beginning Running 101?

Post by krebscout »

I just realized that "Beginning Running 101" is repetitive. Oops.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I want to know, too, because I just bought a treadmill. I was planning on using it for walking, but i've been thinking about taking up running. All I know is that I actually lose weight when image an effort to walk several miles a day, but maybe running would speed up the process.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

krebscout wrote:I just realized that "Beginning Running 101" is repetitive. Oops.
If you act right now, you can change all that! Plus, we'll throw in a set of Ginsu Knives!

Edit: Too late. The special deal on Ginsu Knives has ended.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

I'm not a pro, so anyone with more knowledge feel free to correct me, but I took a little running course this spring from a professional runner (personal trainer) and he really stressed running on the balls of the feet- if you strike on your heel, it puts a lot more pressure on your joints and isn't good. You never want to straighten out your legs completely for the same reason- higher risk of injury. So run with smaller steps on the balls of your feet. Also, focus your vision a few feet in front of where you're running, at least at first, so you're not twisting your body sideways or anything. And the hardest thing for me was to keep my upper body relaxed. Don't keep your arms rigid- hold them up in front of you, but keep them relaxed. We used the imagery of holding potato chips in your hands, and not crumbling them. So no stiffening up.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for.

As for arms, I'll most likely be pushing a double stroller any time I run, so I don't know if I can help but be stiff there. Hm.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

in my jr. high cross-country we tried to relax our arms by resting out thumbs on top of our forefingers for running instead of balling them up into fists (which is for some reason my automatic reaction when sprinting, or tensing them straight into blades).
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

krebscout wrote:As for arms, I'll most likely be pushing a double stroller any time I run, so I don't know if I can help but be stiff there. Hm.
There might still be a more preferable form for pushing a stroller. Like, maybe with your elbows bent instead of straight? (said the girl who knows nothing about running . . .)
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

This is extrapolation, but I would say bent elbows would be good, and also focus on keeping your upper body relaxed as possible.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

I'm amazed at how much less awful it feels to run with the upper body relaxed...I have a tendency to tense up my shoulders without thinking about it.

So if my right ankle starts hurting a little bit every time I run (nothing debilitating, just obnoxious), I'm gonna say that's bad, right? Should I stop? Get new shoes? Hold my foot differently? Is there some sort of brace I should use? C'mon, I know you're all doctors.