Harry Potter Costumes

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Defy V

Harry Potter Costumes

Post by Defy V »

So, for the first time in my life, I think I'm going to dress up in character for a movie, namely HP7. After going through several ideas of what to wear and eliminating things such as actual robes (which would require purchasing, and I'm too lazy/cheapskate to buy them) or taping HP printer instruction manuals to my clothes (eliminated for obvious reasons), I've decided to go dressed as a wizard dressed as a Muggle, since I don't think that would require trips to any store.

Do any of you have Harry Potter books on hand and know where to find descriptions of the crazy outfits wizards would wear? For example, I know there are some descriptions of crazy outfits from Book 6 where Dumbledore shows Harry the memory borrowed from Ogden (?) about Merope.

And is anyone else excited about the movie?
Dragon Lady

Re: Harry Potter Costumes

Post by Dragon Lady »

From the Quidditch Tournament in book 4:
- tweed suit with thigh-length galoshes
- a kilt and a poncho
- plus-fours (don't know what that is, but in context, it fits)
- if you're a bloke, you could wear a long flowery nightgown.

From book 6:
- Bob Ogden: a frock coat and spats over a striped one-piece bathing costume.

Defy V, if you can pull off Bob Ogden, you MUST post a picture. Even if you have a bag on your head.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I want a striped one-piece bathing costume. It is so.... old-timey.
Deus ab veritas
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Go as Dudley (or Petunia if you're a girl). Alternatively, go as a house elf. Pin an F or G on your shirt to be Gred or Forge.

And even though Lockhart is pretty much out of most people's budget, he is at one point described as "wearing robes of forget-me-not blue that exactly matched his eyes; his pointed wizard's hat was set at a jaunty angle on his wavy hair." So, yeah.

As for myself, I'm using the Ravenclaw gear I've been amassing over the years again. For the first time, though, I'm planning on wearing said costume to work tomorrow. I'm excited.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Rifka

Post by Rifka »

Girl ideas:
Moaning Myrtle
Professor Sprout
Tonks
Nagini
Cho Chang
Mrs. Figg

Boy ideas:
Bill Weasley (it mentions in the book he has a ponytail, dragon-claw earring, and dragon leather boots-- that sounds like a pretty cool costume to me)
Colin Creevey
Lee Jordan (who is actually a BOY in the books!)
Mad-eye Moody
Quirrell (especially if you can get Voldemort's face in the back of your head somehow-- that would be cool)
Mundungus Fletcher

I also think it would be funny to dress as something really random like a hobbit or smurf, etc., just to see people's reactions/see if they noticed. :)
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

…. isn't Lee Jordan a boy in the movies, too? Just with dreadlocks? Yeah, I just looked him up and he's played by Luke Youngblood who is definitely a boy.
Defy V

Post by Defy V »

Haha, these ideas are all great. I like the hobbit idea a lot. I don't know that I'll post any pictures here (brown bag or no), but perhaps they might make it onto a Facebook page.
Rifka

Post by Rifka »

Dragon Lady wrote:…. isn't Lee Jordan a boy in the movies, too? Just with dreadlocks? Yeah, I just looked him up and he's played by Luke Youngblood who is definitely a boy.
Oops. I admit it's been a while since I saw the movies. I guess I just thought they made him a girl because he had such a high voice in the first movie. That or they had a girl announcing at the quidditch tournament instead of him (he's the one that announces the quidditch games in the books). Now I feel like I need to go back and watch the Sorcerer's Stone again! :)
Rifka

Post by Rifka »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBau7Fav ... re=related (starting at about 1:45)
Is that supposed to be Lee Jordan? If so he looks and sounds very feminine . . .
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

While I didn't dress up myself, I have to say I really enjoyed seeing the people in line as I left. I even watched a guy on a broom chasing a girl in solid gold and wings. Good times. And a good movie!
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Rifka wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBau7Fav ... re=related (starting at about 1:45)
Is that supposed to be Lee Jordan? If so he looks and sounds very feminine . . .
You're mistaking "prepubescent" for "feminine." Definitely a boy. Also, if there are any NBC Thursday night fans out there, they may recognize Lee Jordan in one of his most critically acclaimed roles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QkRznlJiek