#64080 - Favorite superhero movie

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

#64080 - Favorite superhero movie

Post by Katya »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/64080/

The Scarlet Pimpernel! (Don't try to tell me Sir Percy Blakeney isn't a superhero.)

Honorable mention goes to The Incredibles.
Digit

Re: #64080 - Favorite superhero movie

Post by Digit »

I thought you would have said The Librarian.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Digit wrote:I thought you would have said The Librarian.
My first thought was Alcatraz vs the Evil Librarians and my second thought was, "They made that into a movie and no one told me?!" And then I realized that I was being an idiot on both counts.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Digit wrote:I thought you would have said The Librarian.
Oooh, I actually really love that one, too. (Well, the first one. I haven't heard good things about the second one, so I haven't seen it.)
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

Katya wrote:http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/64080/

The Scarlet Pimpernel! (Don't try to tell me Sir Percy Blakeney isn't a superhero.)

I will tell you he's not a superhero. He's a proto-superhero, but he simply does not meet the generic conventions of a superhero.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Humble Master wrote:
Katya wrote:http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/64080/

I will tell you he's not a superhero. He's a proto-superhero, but he simply does not meet the generic conventions of a superhero.
You and your technical definitions of things! (What generic conventions does he fail?)
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

I'm away from my books, so I can't give you a thorough break down at the moment (but I can in a few days) but off the top of my head I'll say costume and powers. Now, clearly, missing one or two elements of a genre doesn't remove a character from that genre. Batman has no powers, but is still clearly identified as a superhero. But he also clearly does not fit any other genre. The Scarlet Pimpernel more closely aligns with either the spy or vigilante genre than the superhero genre.

But, he has elements that were adopted into the superhero genre. He was created before the superhero genre existed, and the superhero genre owes a massive debt to the Baroness for creating the Scarlet Pimpernel, but the Scarlet Pimpernel does not belong to the superhero genre.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Humble Master wrote:I'm away from my books, so I can't give you a thorough break down at the moment (but I can in a few days) but off the top of my head I'll say costume and powers. Now, clearly, missing one or two elements of a genre doesn't remove a character from that genre. Batman has no powers, but is still clearly identified as a superhero. But he also clearly does not fit any other genre. The Scarlet Pimpernel more closely aligns with either the spy or vigilante genre than the superhero genre.
Where does Zorro fit? (He doesn't have powers, either, but he does have a costume.) Also, is there a point at which being ridiculously rich can be considered a superpower, because that seems to be a common trait in heroes without powers (and you could add Tony Stark to the list).

And how does the secret identity aspect play into all of this? (It doesn't seem terribly spy-ish to me, at least not if James Bond is any guide. I don't know enough about vigilante literature to know if it's an element there or not.)
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I always thought Tony Stark's superpower was total genius.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

mic0 wrote:I always thought Tony Stark's superpower was total genius.
Tony Stark is certainly a mechanical genius, but Bruce Wayne and Sir Percy Blakeney aren't stupid, either. (I suppose you could say they're more quick thinkers than anything, although I think Batman's somewhat involved in designing his gadgets, depending on the incarnation.)
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

Humble Master wrote:The Scarlet Pimpernel more closely aligns with either the spy or vigilante genre than the superhero genre.
I think he's most comparable to Robin Hood, except instead of robbing the rich to feed the poor, he robs the poor of the rich people they'd like to kill.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

do ho ho
Tao

Post by Tao »

heh, there goes my dream of setting up that Beowulf vs Samson ye olde timey comic book...
He who knows others is clever;
He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

Tao wrote:heh, there goes my dream of setting up that Beowulf vs Samson ye olde timey comic book...
Well, you can tell any story you want in comics, whether it counts as a superhero comic is the question. Both Beowulf and Samson have been used hundreds of times in comics.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Humble Master wrote:
Tao wrote:heh, there goes my dream of setting up that Beowulf vs Samson ye olde timey comic book...
Well, you can tell any story you want in comics, whether it counts as a superhero comic is the question. Both Beowulf and Samson have been used hundreds of times in comics.
You didn't answer my questions. :(
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Katya wrote:
Humble Master wrote:
You didn't answer my questions. :(
He seems to think that since he's in the middle of moving, he can ignore us and our questions. [sigh] (I'm waiting on him to answer some Harry Potter questions from the last movie.)

Well, HM, you'd better finish moving, cuz we're impatient girls!

tee hee
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Is he done moving yet?

Now is he done moving?

How about now?
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

Moved, but going through orientation...but an answer will come!
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Humble Master wrote:Moved, but going through orientation...but an answer will come!
Sure, sure. Maybe we should give him a 100 hour deadline? And request he answer via 100 Typing Monkeys?
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

These whole moving/orientation situations are why I had to leave behind the 100 hour deadlines.