Stuff we're reading / watching / listening to

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Zedability

Re: Stuff we're reading / watching / listening to

Post by Zedability »

It's 1 Nephi from Laban's perspective. I've been reading it all evening instead of going on a run or cleaning my room or anything useful.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

That's why we run in the morning before we get on the computer, dearie. Trust me. I've seen how THAT one works out.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Haha. Mornings. Funny joke.
Giovanni Schwartz

By which I mean like 8 or 9 or whenever I get up.

Oops... Sorry. Thread derailment in progress.

I've been rereading a bunch of stuff that I read before "the mish". I also read Mistborn recently. It was brilliant.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

If you have a spare dollar and an iPad The Act is a kind of fun experimental game (interactive cartoon?). Basically it's a cartoon made by some Disney artists and you get to slide which way you want your body language to go.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

See, I already have to wake up at 6:30 am for work everyday, and I have never been able to function in the mornings. Um, so I don't derail the thread quite so much, The Emperor of All Maladies is awesome, go read it.
Giovanni Schwartz

Oh. Hm. Well... Yeah. I'm just proud of myself for taking initiative and running.

I'm currently reading "The Alchemyst" series by Michael Scott. That's the rereading I was talking about. And because two new books in the series came out in the last two years. So, yeah.

Don't judge me and my young adult fantasy!
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

I bought the latest Artemis Fowl book for my flight home from London recently, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, so I don't get to judge. And yeah, the fact that I've taken up running has completely surprised pretty much everyone who knows me.
Giovanni Schwartz

Well, you see, I lost like 70 pounds in Taiwan, so that now makes running a feasible possibility. But not many people know that. Any other good recommendations for YA fantasy?
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

I really like the Gone series by Michael Grant. Basically, a nuclear power plant problem causes all of the kids 15 and under to be stuck in a 10-mile radius of the plant, all the adults are gone, and the kids are developing superpowers while undergoing a Lord-of-the-Flies-eque upheaval.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Marduk had me and my sister watch an old children's cartoon called Bobby's World. It was... strange. And animals don't wear underpants.

Then we watched a Dilbert cartoon, which I actually found really funny.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:Marduk had me and my sister watch an old children's cartoon called Bobby's World. It was... strange. And animals don't wear underpants.
I remember that cartoon.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

I finished watching Julie & Julia. Loved Julia, didn't care that much about Julie. (It doesn't help that I know what happened in her life after the movie came out.)
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Gio, you should check out my booklist. I read ... mostly YA Fantasy. (Also mostly girl stuff, but it should be fairly easy to weed those out.) Sometime I'll look through the last 2 years since u been gone and find recommendations. When I'm not too lazy.

Right now I'm reading a book called The Reading Promise, about a father who read to his daughter every night for thousands of nights. The daughter wrote it, and it is good. Plus it's nonfiction, which is always awesome for me. (Because I read almost none.)
Sparklebreeze

Post by Sparklebreeze »

I'm currently reading The Idealist.org Handbook to Building a Better World. I felt like a real grownup when I checked out four non-fiction books from the library the other day. ...At least until I realized I didn't even know where the non-fiction section was until that moment.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

I read an interesting article on modern music here. Thoughts?
Yog in Neverland
Board Writer

Post by Yog in Neverland »

TBC, I got all excited when you said "modern music," as that is a big part of what music majors study.

And then all my excitement was crushed when I realized you meant modern POP music. As is, thoughts=agree. Chord progressions are so crap now. I can pick out any pop song's chord progressions in two to five minutes. I can't do that for older stuff.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

I think the big exception to this is Muse. Muse is freaking amazing. Granted, it's more alternative, but still.

And if you ever want to discuss modern non-pop music, I'm up for that :) I had to take a couple music history courses as part of my ARCT in Piano Performance.
Giovanni Schwartz

I II V I
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

Has anyone else taken Music 202 with Dr. Howard? Definitely one of the best classes ever.