General Encore Rules

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
C is for
um Administrator

General Encore Rules

Post by C is for »

Encore is a game that we have adapted to online play because it's fun, and we're smart. Some Rules:

1. Each round has a different topic, and players must come up with 8 consecutive song lyrics that either a) contain the word or b) fit the requirements of the topic.
2. Players post one song a day.
3. No repeat songs, even if they're different sections, sung by different people, containing different applicable words, etc.
4. You're out if you forget to post one day, or if you post the wrong lyrics.
5. Whoever wins gets to choose the topic for the next round.

Other policies we have in place:
1. Usually the person who chose the topic is "in charge" of the round. It's up to them to keep track of who's in and who's out and to decide if certain songs fit the bill if there's a question of suitability.
2. Generally the first day is extended past two midnights in order to get maximum participation.
3. In order to get someone out, we currently have the policy that you have to already know the lyrics are wrong and call them out. We're not employing Lyrics Police to look up every song to make sure you're right. This one is subject to change anytime, but that's currently how we're doing it. (Don't cheat you guys.)
4. If you do post wrong lyrics, but you have 8 consecutive words surrounding the topic correct, you are still in.
5. Sometimes if a player already knows that they have way more songs than any of the other players, they may choose to post two songs a day, counting those two as their contribution.

What am I missing here?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Re: General Encore Rules

Post by Katya »

You can't Google the lyrics of your song ahead of time; you have to know them from memory. You can Google the exact name of the song, if necessary. (You don't have to post the name of the song, but it's useful information for everyone else.) We've also been somewhat lenient on slightly misheard lyrics, in the past.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

If you won the last round, you are allowed to participate in the current one but not win it.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

In the board game version of Encore you only need six consecutive words.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

In the board game of Encore that I own you need eight consecutive words.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:In the board game of Encore that I own you need eight consecutive words.
I've got an older version, but even newer versions say six. http://www.amazon.com/Endless-Games-300 ... B00000JKL7 I don't want to quibble about how you guys play it on here, I just wanted to point out that most versions require only six words.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Fair enough. We're also giving you all day to think of the words to a song, so I think that requiring more words is a reasonable tradeoff for that advantage.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Katya wrote:Fair enough. We're also giving you all day to think of the words to a song, so I think that requiring more words is a reasonable tradeoff for that advantage.
That was my reasoning. I've just become irresponsible lately and not responding to things that I plan to.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Hmm. I have an older version too. Now I'm curious about this. I've actually never played a version that required only six words.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Question about rules: It's the middle of a round and you watch a movie or listen to your music and you hear a song that fits the rules that either you hadn't thought of before for that round or you realize that the words you have were wrong (or you were going to attribute it to the wrong singer, such as in the villains round), etc. Is it considered cheating to use that song (or update the words you were going to use, etc.)?
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Nope, I do that all the time.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Yeah, I think we established once that so long as you aren't deliberately looking for it, it's fair game.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

How do we want to do the "sudden death"? Is it just post every day like normal or should we post as fast as we can until someone runs out? I'm partial to the latter since it means the next round can start sooner.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I vote the latter, and believe that's how it's been done in the past.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Dragon Lady wrote:I vote the latter, and believe that's how it's been done in the past.
That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure and was too lazy to look it up.

--Jasper Fforde
Sparklebreeze

Post by Sparklebreeze »

I'm not very familiar with the rules. What exactly counts as a song? Does it have to be something you could conceivably download off itunes or find on a CD at Walmart?

Do jingles count? What about widely-known parodies? Or internet auto-tune phenomena?
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Sparklebreeze wrote:I'm not very familiar with the rules. What exactly counts as a song? Does it have to be something you could conceivably download off itunes or find on a CD at Walmart?

Do jingles count? What about widely-known parodies? Or internet auto-tune phenomena?
All of those count as songs. Things that, say, only you and your sibling know because you wrote a song when you were 5 and sang it alone together, would not count.
Sparklebreeze

Post by Sparklebreeze »

Can you repeat a word, as long as you cite a different song?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Sparklebreeze wrote:Can you repeat a word, as long as you cite a different song?
Depends on the round. For a "vanilla" version of Encore, yes, but some people impose word repetition (or other) limitations to shorten the length of the round. (I'm assuming that Yayfulness is allowing word repetition, since he didn't say otherwise, but he may have made the opposite assumption.)
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

I was actually assuming that word repetition wasn't normally allowed, but since allowing it is the default, that's what I'll go with.