Halloween Costumes?

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Indefinite Integral

Halloween Costumes?

Post by Indefinite Integral »

So, I was looking through a friend's facebook album of pictures from a Single Adult LDS Halloween party, and a good number of the costumes were quite immodest. I was shocked, because I would never, ever consider wearing something like that anywhere, let alone to a church party. Is this a common trend? Would you guys consider wearing a Halloween costume that would normally not fit the modesty standards you have set for yourself, or are Halloween costumes somehow an exception?
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
krebscout

Re: Halloween Costumes?

Post by krebscout »

No, Halloween costumes are not an exception in my book, and no, I haven't seen that as a common trend. Maybe things have changed in the four years since I've been single, or maybe it's a local thing? But my one-year-old did wear a sleeveless ladybug dress to our ward's trunk-or-treat. Maybe the trend is extending down to the very, very young single crowd here in sinful Los Angeles.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I.I., my first thought is to suggest that perhaps their modesty standards on the whole are not quite as covered as the ones you have set for yourself. But I'd really have to see the photos themselves to offer anything more solid than that.
Deus ab veritas
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

For Halloween each year I tend to put on somewhat more makeup than usual. That's as immodest as I get, and no one looking at me would think "Wow what a lot of makeup" because...more makeup than usual is still not a lot. for me. which is probably why I'm single. /tangent

I think Halloween is not an exception to modesty, but that's (apparently) not how my ward feels. I'd think people would dress modestly to a church party, but things like the Howl? I'd be surprised if there were a covered knee or shoulder in the whole place, and that's with a fairly Mormon population. I don't understand it, but that does seem to be the trend. (Congrats to the one really nice, spiritual girl in my ward, for winning sexiest costume at whatever Halloween party she frequented.)

Wow, krebs, Maleficent is such a sinner.

(I edited this post. I removed an 'apparently' because I didn't want people to think I was judging.)
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

Marduk, I'm not going to pull pictures, since they aren't mine but here's a bit better idea:

There was quite a range, including one girl dressed up in an authentic Dallas Cowboys cheerleader costume (just to give you an idea). The costumes I saw ranged from strapless/sleeveless to shorts barely an inch long to a mummy with basically a sports bra and shorts covered in fabric strips. I don't know how anyone could wear those sorts of costumes and consider themselves in line with church counsel.

Maybe they invited a lot of non-members to the party, or they just wanted everyone to feel welcome and so didn't state costume restrictions. Whatever the case may be, I wanted to see if I was the odd one out by not wanting to wear immodest costumes.

I'm guessing people may just see Halloween as an easy way to break otherwise restrictive rules - What do you think?
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Yeah, that's really odd. I guess some people are just looking for any excuse they can find. I mean, we all wear swimsuits, so occasionally we are all quite "immodest" with good purpose. But I suppose everyone has their own idea of when it is actually nessesary. That certainly isn't mine! And to be honest, I don't remember seeing that at the singles Halloween parties way back when I went to those.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Walking through Halloween City this year made me think that Halloween has become sexual. Seriously, the main store around to buy Halloween costumes could easily pass as a holiday lingerie shop. Some of them were, in my opinion, X-rated. It was disgusting. And this store stays open and thriving all over Utah. That says something to me.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Dragon Lady wrote:Walking through Halloween City this year made me think that Halloween has become sexual.
"In the real world, Halloween is when kids dress up in costumes and beg for candy. In Girl World, Halloween is the one day a year when a girl can dress up like a total slut and no other girls can say anything else about it." -Mean Girls
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I think that Halloween Costumes for me have always been at least as modest as my regular clothing, with the possible exception that I will occasionally wear pajamas for my costume. And by pajamas I mean, sweats, a t-shirt and a bathrobe.