Political Typology Quiz

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Political Typology Quiz

Post by Katya »

http://www.people-press.org/typology/quiz/

This is an interesting quiz from the Pew Forum. I wasn't that surprised with where I ended up, but it was interesting to read about the different types of moderate voters as well as confirming my suspicions that it's rare for strong liberals to consider religion an important part of their lives.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Re: Political Typology Quiz

Post by Emiliana »

That quiz classified me as a "solid liberal," which is ... sort of right, sort of not. Religion is definitely very important to me, though. (Interestingly, one of the things that made me and my now-boyfriend click so well right from the start is that we're both very liberal Christians who are very devoted to our faith, which is, admittedly, a very unusual combination.)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

I thought it was interesting that a lot of the moderate classifications were people who were also financially insecure. I can see how there are aspects of both parties' ideologies that would be appealing if you were concerned about the economic future.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I answered it as thought I were an American, and I got solid liberal. Which does not surprise anyone. :)
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Solid liberal, and of course I consider religion an important part of my life.

So I'm in one of the smallest minorities. Story of my life.
Deus ab veritas
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Marduk wrote:Solid liberal, and of course I consider religion an important part of my life.

So I'm in one of the smallest minorities. Story of my life.
But you're my favorite liberal religious Cana-xican, so there's that.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I'm a new coalition democrat? Except... I think the government could be much more efficient with its money. It needs some efficiency experts.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

I didn't like that quiz, as I was not in agreement with either of the options in the majority of the questions. But then again, seeing as how I think of myself as a moderate, I'm not a fan of extreme options, which is what that quiz is.
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Fredjikrang wrote:I didn't like that quiz, as I was not in agreement with either of the options in the majority of the questions.
Yeah, that's going to be an issue in any quiz of this sort. Where "should" you fit in, demographically?
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Was that a question question, or a rhetorical question?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Fredjikrang wrote:Was that a question question, or a rhetorical question?
That was a question question. Based on your age, gender, religiosity, etc., are there any groups that look demographically like you (even if you don't necessarily agree with them on everything)?
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Honestly, no idea. I don't have a good understanding of political demographics.

I looked through the groups that were listed on that site, but I don't understand the basics of political position terminology. For example "Very liberal on social issues," and "Economically very conservative but moderate to liberal on social issues." I don't understand well enough what "liberal" and "conservative" would indicate here to say if that is me or not.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

It called me "post-modern," but it didn't fit very well.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

I am "Solid Liberal", which seems correct to me. However, I'm wondering about the business-regulation questions, since I seem to have answered those differently than "Solid Liberals" do. I don't believe businesses "make too much money" nor do I think businesses need to be heavily regulated. Is there a category for people who are very liberal on social issues and foreign policy but lean conservative on economic issues?
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Sort of. We'd have to knock that leaning right over, and then you'd be a libertarian.
Deus ab veritas
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

I took it... anybody want to guess?

Post-modern.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Post-Modern. Point for point, it was spot on, from my views on religion, social issues, Wall Street, and "third rail" policies. I am indeed white, young, suburban, and have been to college. And yes, I watch TDS!
Portia

Post by Portia »

My followup would be whether Pew has translated these findings into party/candidate supportership. I thought the findings matched up very well with my actual views, but I don't see a lot of candidates out there actually touching on issues that are important to me. The Republicans for perhaps obvious reasons (if I voted Republican, it'd be for a pre-paranoid Nixon type: all offerings seem to be very socially conservative this go-'round); and I'm hardly part of the Democrats' "base" (which I've seen described as a top and bottom coalition of graduate degree holders and high school dropouts). I'd like to see more science funding and less of an arms race, social progressivism, a huge scaling back of untouchable social welfare programs, and a secular (note that that is not the same as anti-religion or anti-atheist) government that a Thomas Jefferson could be happy with. I feel like both parties want to use 19th-century solutions to 21st-century problems. I feel like both parties are semi-insane, when the Dems think that the good ol' days of having a "decent income" making cars in Detroit with your 8th-grade education are comin' back (nope), and Republican sympathizers *literally* slut-shaming . . . it makes me feel like I fell into a time warp. The modern voter cares about how much is taken from her paycheck from social security, is likely to work with technology in her workplace rather than fear it, and have much higher priorities than hand-wringing about the evils of the Pill. Is the Mad Men craze infiltrating public life? If so, give me a JFK and his funding of the space race and innovation in technology ANY day.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Portia wrote:. . . I'm hardly part of the Democrats' "base" (which I've seen described as a top and bottom coalition of graduate degree holders and high school dropouts).
I'm both!
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

Portia wrote:My followup would be whether Pew has translated these findings into party/candidate supportership. I thought the findings matched up very well with my actual views, but I don't see a lot of candidates out there actually touching on issues that are important to me. The Republicans for perhaps obvious reasons (if I voted Republican, it'd be for a pre-paranoid Nixon type: all offerings seem to be very socially conservative this go-'round); and I'm hardly part of the Democrats' "base" (which I've seen described as a top and bottom coalition of graduate degree holders and high school dropouts). I'd like to see more science funding and less of an arms race, social progressivism, a huge scaling back of untouchable social welfare programs, and a secular (note that that is not the same as anti-religion or anti-atheist) government that a Thomas Jefferson could be happy with. I feel like both parties want to use 19th-century solutions to 21st-century problems. I feel like both parties are semi-insane, when the Dems think that the good ol' days of having a "decent income" making cars in Detroit with your 8th-grade education are comin' back (nope), and Republican sympathizers *literally* slut-shaming . . . it makes me feel like I fell into a time warp. The modern voter cares about how much is taken from her paycheck from social security, is likely to work with technology in her workplace rather than fear it, and have much higher priorities than hand-wringing about the evils of the Pill. Is the Mad Men craze infiltrating public life? If so, give me a JFK and his funding of the space race and innovation in technology ANY day.
EXACTLY!!!!!