Kids' books about Jesus

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
krebscout

Kids' books about Jesus

Post by krebscout »

Dear Katya the librarian and anyone else who might know:

Every religious children's book that I've encountered tells the story of Jesus' life (birth, death, resurrection, and a couple of bigger miracles) without recounting his actual teachings (except for a vague "Love everybody" page). Are there any that approach the nitty-gritty, specific, detailed teachings?
wired

Re: Kids' books about Jesus

Post by wired »

Aren't the four gospels just a collection of vague "love everybody" pages? (I kid, I kid!)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Hmm. Would you count parables as teachings? I can think of a few books that cover the parables well.

Also, I wonder if any other denominations have published something like a children's study bible. That might be more along the lines of what you're looking for. (Of course, then you get into the specific beliefs/interpretations of that denomination, which is a potentially sticky issue. Which may be why the other books skirt around the specific teachings.)
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

wired wrote:Aren't the four gospels just a collection of vague "love everybody" pages? (I kid, I kid!)
The (short) chapter I read last night had Jesus command them to love each other twice in about the exact same wording. I think it might be important or something?
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I'm really annoyed right now. I was reading blogs while nursing today and came across a highly recommended children's reader of the bible. It linked to the Amazon app and there was no way to share or get the URL. Since I was nursing I couldn't just go to my computer. So I saved it to my Amazon wish list. In an amazing stroke of brilliance, I remembered tonight to go find it to tell you about it. AND IT'S NOT IN MY WISH LIST ANYMORE.

I searched and searched through my blogs, but couldn't find it again.

I am sorry.
Eirene
Board Writer

Post by Eirene »

I had this version of the Children's Illustrated Bible. I cherished it when I was a kid. So many cool photos and explanations of the background and stuff! I checked the table of contents to refresh my memory and they do spend quite a bit of time talking about specific events in Jesus' life and individual teachings and parables. I think I got mine when I was around 5 or 6—there's more text than illustration, so it's probably best for kids who are reading independently. I loved it though.