But EINSTEIN!

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

But EINSTEIN!

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I am totally being mean to one of my siblings' friends on Facebook. He posted that "the student was EINSTEIN" story and tagged one of my brothers and one of my sisters, and I was so annoyed that I couldn't resist commenting. And then he deleted my comment, and instead of being a grown-up I made more comments, which he also deleted, giving me a good talking-to in the process. Or at least attempting to give me a good talking-to - it basically amounted to "if you don't have something nice don't say anything at all" and "no, really, science has no idea what it's doing, it can't even explain gravity, truth is only found in religion" and "it's meant to be a heart-warming story, even if it's false."

I think I'm going to be a good girl now and quit commenting. Because he's right: we should all think the same way or shut up because differing opinions might hurt feelings, scientists all have their heads on backwards and need to drop facts and turn to faith, and who needs modern-day prophets when you have faith-promoting rumors?
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Defy V

Re: But EINSTEIN!

Post by Defy V »

All I can say is, I'll really know I've made it in life when people make up ridiculous quotes and attribute them to me.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Well, now I've commented too dear. I've used the one thing that almost always shuts Mormons up: scripture.
Deus ab veritas
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

I wanted to use scripture! But I could not find a good one, and my shower was already overdue.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:my shower was already overdue.
TMI

Anyway, I don't like that Einstein quote thing either. It's been popping up all over my Facebook, but I haven't commented because I still want the people who post it to like me. When it's brought up in conversation I express healthy skepticism about its origins, but only if it's a person I know won't label me a dirty atheist for it. A few weeks ago I saw a brilliant parody of the thing, but I can't find it and can't remember whose it was.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Ask and you shall receive:

http://i.imgur.com/T2EDv.png
Deus ab veritas
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

Marduk wrote:Ask and you shall receive:

That was it! Brilliant. I loved the part about how he was a Navy SEAL veteran. Soooooo funny.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

In the interest of full disclosure, said individual has now untagged Bob's sister from said post, deleted all comments on said post, blocked both Bob and I completely on facebook, and sent me a message asking me "who the hell (I) think (I am.)"
Deus ab veritas
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

I am just SO glad I have no idea what you guys are talking about.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

I was feeling pretty bad about making comments (my brother pointed out I was snobbish, and said that he was embarrassed about a girl he just met seeing it so deleted it from his page) but it all dissolved into hilarity with the blocking/swearing/deleting development. Also, he texted my sister to let her know that his entire family was offended.

I was a little offended that he didn't send me any messages, swearing or otherwise, but I was only using logic and facts, things he could easily brush aside. Marduk proving him wrong by quoting scripture is obviously much more offensive.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Craig Jessop wrote:
Marduk wrote:Ask and you shall receive:

That was it! Brilliant. I loved the part about how he was a Navy SEAL veteran. Soooooo funny.
I love the part where he smirks Jewishly.
wired

Post by wired »

Ignorance is not bliss! Be frustrated like the rest of us!

http://www.snopes.com/religion/einstein.asp
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Marduk wrote:Well, now I've commented too dear. I've used the one thing that almost always shuts Mormons up: scripture.
Just curious: which scripture(s)?
Digit

Post by Digit »

I would say to the purveyor that if they had such a detailed account of the back and forth of the conversation then they must have the name of the professor and the date and location of where it occurred and who recorded it.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

LJ, 2nd Nephi 2.
Deus ab veritas