Rules Made Because of Something You Did

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Rules Made Because of Something You Did

Post by NerdGirl »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/67566/

Anyone else got any stories? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but maybe I will remember one later.
Dragon Lady

Re: Rules Made Because of Something You Did

Post by Dragon Lady »

I asked this question: https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/26247/ Because of it they banned "yellow page" questions.

My brother learned that washers were the same weight as quarters and thus could be used to trick the pool table at the gas station up the street to let him and his friend play for free. They got a life-long ban from that store and inspired the rule that only quarters could be used to buy games. Ironically, the friend ended up buying the convenience store and lifted their life-long ban. A week later it burned down. He rebuilt it and did not replace the pool tables.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I once accidentally printed a 100-something page document at my then-local library (forgot to click 'selection only' radio button, and users couldn't access the print tray to cancel a job, even just their own) right before they instituted a per-page charge. :)
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

If you know the two gas stations on the north end of Fillmore just off I-15, you'll know that they have two statues. One of a bear, and the other of a moose (elk?). These statues are very large, large enough to hold several people on them. You can probably guess the next part. I was with a high school group driving down to St. George for state competition and we took a rest stop in Fillmore, and of course we decided those statues looked fun, so we climbed on top of them and took pictures.

Fast forward two days ( from Thurs to Sat), we were driving back home and noticed papers taped to the statues. They said "Please stay off the animals." I'm pretty sure we were the ones responsible for that sign.

Funny story: I went on band tour to California a few weeks later, and one of the low brass members stole the sign and hung it up in the band room. I was convinced it was following me.

Current Update: I took a team from the school I coach down for the same competition in St. George this year. We stopped in Fillmore, so I went to check out the statues. They now have very nice looking permanent metal signs that say "Please stay off the animals."

Also, if you ask really nicely I might be tempted to share some carefully edited photos of the original statue-climbing escapades.
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Hehhehe. So, when I was a grad student at BYU they had donut days (maybe they still do). Every Thursday morning you could go in and get a free donut. I was in a creative writing class where we were supposed to bring treats when our piece was being workshopped. Being frugal in time and money, I decided to just take a box from the grad student donut days (they often had about that much leftover, and I was giving the donuts to other grad students, right?). The next week they had a sign asking us to just take one.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

My friends and I joined the BYU outdoors club for $5. In return, we got a year-long pass to the climbing wall at Hansen's Mountaineering. Shoe and harness rental was free, and the three of us went every week for months. After a few months, they started charging for shoes and harnesses. Not sure if that was our fault, but we sure weren't helping them out financially.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

My dad is a microbiologist at a local university, and a few years ago I worked for him over the summer in his lab, cleaning up after experiments. I got bored at work, and decided to bring my mp3 player into the "dirty" (i.e. exposed to infectious agents) kitchen where I was cleaning pig cages. Technically, this was not against the rules at the time; it was just really, really stupid. Long story short, I ended up in the hospital for three and a half days with an E. coli infection and the lab got a couple new rules.
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

I would have rules made up because of me if I ever got caught :)