Hambriento?

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Digit

Hambriento?

Post by Digit »

I saw a McDonald's ad that said 'Kinda Hungry?' with the Spanish translation underneath 'Medio Hambriento?' Is ser hambriento (e.g., soy hambriento) just as grammatically correct as tener hambre (e.g., tengo hambre)? I've only ever heard the latter.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Re: Hambriento?

Post by Fredjikrang »

It is estar hambriento (estoy hambriento) (ser would be a very unusual usage), but it is grammatically correct, though not as common. It is something that you would see in older texts, such as the scriptures, so it might sound kind of funny to a lot of Spanish speakers, but they would understand what it means.
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

It actually can be used with many verbs; the closest translation of the work is "starving" although "hungry" also works. "Hambre" more closely translates as "hunger." "Medio Hambriento" would probably more closely translate as "half starving?"

To put an English approximation on it, it might be like saying "Are you hungry?" versus "Do you have hunger?" Both are technically correct, but the latter sounds wierd, or even archaic as fred pointed out.
Deus ab veritas
Digit

Post by Digit »

Kind of flip-flopped from English. In English to be hungry is normal and to have hunger is archaic, but in Spanish to have hunger is normal and to be hungry is archaic?
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

That about sums it up, yeah.
Deus ab veritas
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

I noticed while in Poland recently that a lot of these fast food slogans are difficult to translate. They either have to sacrifice meaning to retain the quick and easy nature of the slogan, or they have to sacrifice the brevity of the statement to retain a more accurate meaning.

I'd imagine "Yo quiero Taco Bell" worked pretty well, though.