Financial Aid Help

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Financial Aid Help

Post by Imogen »

Ok, so I know I need to talk to my BRAND NEW GRAD SCHOOL!!! (woooooooo!!!), but how does one apply for student loans? I already did a FAFSA. But, I'll probably need private loans too. I never took any out for my undergrad, and now I have no idea what I'm doing!! Do I get them from a bank? How do you know where the best interest rates are? Do I have to start paying them back before I graduate?

So much to do!!! And I have to do it fast cause I want a new laptop! And to pay my rent with my student loans so I can pay off some other debt!
beautiful, dirty, rich
Digit

Re: Financial Aid Help

Post by Digit »

Sallie Mae is an actual real private student loan company that is not a scam shyster organization just hoping to get your credit card number. I hate loans and debt in general, but I have to admit they're legitimate. There's the gray "Get started" button right in the green field in the middle of the page.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

Does your new university have a financial aid office? If so, can you find their number? I bet you could call them and they would have loads of advice and suggestions on places you could go. They do deal with this sort of thing on a fairly regular basis (That's my guess anyway).
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

They were relatively helpful, though they didn't understand why I didn't know how financial aid works (ummm...not my fault I got scholarships! sheesh...)

I'll look into Sallie Mae once I know how much i get from my FAFSA stuff. Hopefully it's enough!
beautiful, dirty, rich
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Imogen wrote:They were relatively helpful, though they didn't understand why I didn't know how financial aid works (ummm...not my fault I got scholarships! sheesh...)
Grad school financial aid is super different from undergrad financial aid, anyway.